Clicky

Deadmon

Smartphones, tablets, and gadgets of awesome.

This exists because shoutbox got turned into a lengthy talk about them. Do that here.

photo-thumb-100.jpg?_r=0KROW AMES : (17 June 2012 - 12:28 PM)You don't have to void your warranty to do it on an Android. photo-thumb-782.jpg?_r=0AROKH TAKAKURA : (17 June 2012 - 12:12 PM)Iphone: As for limitations with file transfers and compatability, there is something called Cydia and jailbreaking.

Which is true, but again.... why not just use an external?

In other news:

https://plus.google.com/111626127367496192147

Google is going to make phones ancient. As long as it doesnt turn out to be a hazard.

I see the google glass project as a peek into the future, it won't be what the future holds for us, but we can expect something that is more utilitarian, something that will serve a purpose better than that of a cellular phone in some ways, but not all. And once the media industry catches on, those that have them will be bombarded with advertisements as they glance at billboards, and get constant recommendations about establishments as they walk by. Sure, it'll be neat to see a video about an up coming movie by looking at a billboard with just the website and the screen date, but it would get old really quick. Though, emergency messages could be more sophisticated with video and audio with that technology.

The only thing I could see holding back the concept of google glasses is that its a worn accessory that won't fit people who aren't used to such a thing. An electronic halo of sorts is super cool, but it would be something people would wear only if they are used to it, much like bluetooth headsets currently. Completely hands free is certainly the future though!

just saying, but this is something i would see on salem's phone, just saying

Um, ratchet...I'm pretty sure you mean desktop "accessory screen" (a small screen off to the side, made for a desktop) and not phone. >.>

I see the google glass project as a peek into the future, it won't be what the future holds for us, but we can expect something that is more utilitarian, something that will serve a purpose better than that of a cellular phone in some ways, but not all. And once the media industry catches on, those that have them will be bombarded with advertisements as they glance at billboards, and get constant recommendations about establishments as they walk by. Sure, it'll be neat to see a video about an up coming movie by looking at a billboard with just the website and the screen date, but it would get old really quick. Though, emergency messages could be more sophisticated with video and audio with that technology.

Oh, so kinda like what happens in Minority report?

Finally wearable devices are picking up... I've been really fascinated with this stuff since 2000 (blame Deus Ex 1), waiting and keeping track of it's progress, even hit a few Augment Tech confrinces in the earlier years. My first computer augment/wearable PC was this Xybernaut MA-V...

DSC_0011.JPG

(Not an actual picture of mine, but it's the same thing. Crammed now somewhere in a box);

i've heard talk of contact lenses being the future, and this google glasses thing just being a market tester. Not sure I'd go for either one. But having it in contact lenses would be better than wearing those stupid looking glasses everywhere.

Also, I just remembered. Google isn't pioneering this technology. The military has had it for years in their Future Soldier program. The program that the OICW was a part of (and removed from).

The point though is that itll be a commercially available HUD. booya. Id probably not buy one (super expensive) but id love to mess with one.

KO-details-right._V166939146_.jpg

More in the world of today, than the world of tomorrow. GF has a Kindle Fire and at first I thought "well thats stupid the screen is tiny compared to Ipad" but really, its kinda nice. Its good for out and about, and less cumbersome of a tablet. It doesnt do -everything- an ipad does, but with internet apps books and video its got all I need for a tablet.

For a while yeah,

this was just announced today:

http://www.usatoday....blet/55676790/1

ehh, nice, but I'd be afraid to break it. I'd also worry about how much power it has behind it, also would rather have the ability to upgrade/fix it myself if there are issues, most lappy's you can to a degree, but, trying to fix/upgrade paperPCs can be difficult... This is why I won't go to Apple products, they expect you to pay a huge fee + shipping so they can fix your shit...

I have an ASUS eee Pad Transformer (TF101-B1). I actually did some basic video editing with the built-in software (*gasp* bloatware that...is VERY useful). The tablet does come with some VERY USEFUL items, including an office suite.

It has two cameras (one rear, 5MP and one front, <2MP), and both work for Skype, taking photos, video, and what have you.

I'd say that Surface tablet thing falls under the newer line of 'ultrabooks' or whatever the market is wanting to call them. Windows 8 is their cross-platform ideal solution that runs just as well on the portable ARM processors, and they intend to push it to PC, portables, and smartphones. Looks kind of silly to me on a PC though. The original Microsoft Surface demos were pretty cool though, even if not entirely feasible in the open market.

Although I do wonder how well that super thin keyboard thing works.

ehh, nice, but I'd be afraid to break it. I'd also worry about how much power it has behind it, also would rather have the ability to upgrade/fix it myself if there are issues, most lappy's you can to a degree, but, trying to fix/upgrade paperPCs can be difficult... This is why I won't go to Apple products, they expect you to pay a huge fee + shipping so they can fix your shit...

Ive always owned apple products. Ipods, macbook ect. Ive never had a problem, Ive always owned a PC for my main computer, but apples are great for the extras. Talking, texting, interwebs, social media shit. Ive always used macs for that and general messing around. Some shoop when I had the laptop. Ive -never- had to repair it or it broke beyond me having to drive to the apple store in the mall and wait an hour for fix. (only once, and it actually only happened to my sister, I just drove.)