Clicky

Reinhardt

The July Holidays (1st and 4th)

Yep theres 2 of them, though a good deal of people think there is only the 4th of July.

First, there is the 1st.

And this is for us Canadians.

There are FEW days you will find Canadians being truely patriotic. We are a subdued people. We're humble (okay no one has EVER accused me of being humble lol), neighbourly. Loyal, proud, able to laugh at ouselves long before we'd dare laugh at anyone else. We invented the lightbulb, the telephone, basketball. Hockey is part of our background and our identity. We've produced people from Wayne Gretzky to Sidney Crosby, from Mike Mayers to Jim Carrey... and even the man we ALL wish would finaly die, William Shatner.

Our military might is laughable. But we don't care. We'd rather be peacekeepers and we are. Well... and there was 1812.

There is few times when a Canadian becomes truely patriotic. NHL playoffs and the Vancouver Cannucks are in the finals (becuase lets face it, the Montreal Canadiens usualy get bumped out early in the playoffs, and the Toronto Maple Leafs have NO chance, ever.), Olympic Hockey and the Canadian team is in the finals. And July 1st.

The day our process to independance began back in the 1800s. We were given independance for being Canadian. For all the things that people think of when they think of us, is what led to us, being us.

Now this sunny, mild day (28C/82F or 32C/88F with humidity).... I'm headed down to be part of my community, my family with me.. and just relax on a beach. To all Canadians... enjoy this day. Celebrate who and what we have become as a community.

For the Americans, well I dont know much about the history of the 4th, but I wish you the same peace, relaxation and community that we up north enjoy.

That reporter (and I use the term loosely since it IS Fox) looks like he can barely keep a straight face.

Because yeah.. we have had worse than that. The G20 riots in Toronto, the Vancouver Hockey Riots, the Montreal Student Protests/Riots

IF only our protests took the direction of "I am a little upset." in a subdued fashion like that mans sign.