Clicky

Guest Ruin Nefarious

Do you live in Texas?

Dont go to Houston. Its roadways look like they were designed by a drunk. Its humid as Ffff, Its relatively "ghetto"

Dallas is good, fairly moderate, lots of money. The surrounding area is where I live now, its good I just grew up here so Im looking for more.

and Austin is -amazing- however its a bit more liberal than you may like. I dont mind it, it creates a great atmosphere and has a booming tech sector with a lot of TI jobs shifting into the state. Its where I want to move for the developer jobs.

Overall Texas is cheaper to live in, a red state so guns are not a huge hassle to own or obtain, its easier to own a house with a yard without paying your entire salary. Texas is an amazing place to live in if you dont mind the weather (though you are from AZ so Im sure its not that big of a deal for you :P) Texas and its major cities are one of the few left in the country still constantly building and growing. Make sure you are applying in major cities, that way you have the option of living in the suburbs around it if you enjoy that kinda thing. Lots of soccer moms, gyms, starbucks, fancy cars, ect. :p Otherwise you get stuck in rural areas, lots of farmland / land in general in Texas so you wanna make sure not to get stuck in low population area.

Corpus Christi and it's pretty nice down here. Home of the USS Lexington, Has beaches, and last time I checked, We are hiring Police officers. It'd be an active city to work with for a cop, Not on a city out of control basis of course but they get plenty of calls. got 460.2 Sq Miles to cover The only shitty part of living down here is the humidity in the Summer x.x but most Texas cities are hot as hell anyways, even Dallas. Its a bit smaller than Austin but still relatively large.

Living can be cheap down here too. I have 640 Sq Ft at an apartment complex, 1 bed 1 bath, big kitchen. half free water, free cable, and paid for pest control for $560/mo

Houston, id never live there. Too big for my taste. Dallas is nice. I love visiting Dallas. I love Austin. Brownsville is alright. Though you'll probably be dealing with a LOT of spring breakers when that time comes around....but then again same for Corpus, but everyone prefers Port Aransas or South Padre Island

Edited by Sebris Montpark

^ There are plenty of suburb places you can get a high-paying job (McKinney, a suburb area I grew up in) and really only have to worry about traffic, teen angst, and maybe some domestic calls. Shootings are rare as shit.

Corpus isnt bad, though I hate being that far east. Texas heat + gulf = humidity and allergies.

^ There are plenty of suburb places you can get a high-paying job (McKinney, a suburb area I grew up in) and really only have to worry about traffic, teen angst, and maybe some domestic calls. Shootings are rare as shit.

Corpus isnt bad, though I hate being that far east. Texas heat + gulf = humidity and allergies.

And south lol.

OH! And San Antonio is really cool. Big city, a lot of history, and it's rated to be one of the top cities to start off in after college so I'm assuming with that level, living should be pretty cheap there too.

Always a relief to reach SA when Driving

Guest Ruin Nefarious

. . why the F are the Dallas PD requirements so low?

Like seriously, whaaaat? Their physical requirements are super low.

Edited by Ruin Nefarious

Here's an interesting comparison between Austin and Dallas. Obviously don't take this completely to heart but from personal experience I support it.

http://www.traveland...llas-fort-worth

Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the US at the moment, and as Disembodied stated it's a tech and music center. It's very scenic and in the hill country due to the colorado river. Lots of lakes and parks.

Dallas is huge, and lots of money. Everyone I've met that has lived in Dallas didn't like it at all. Just a forewarning.

San Antonio is also growing. Not sure of it's industry though. Unfortunately lots of slums.

El Paso is becoming a slum but it's not bad. Aside from there steer clear of anywhere west Texas (including Lubbock), there's nothing out there but tumbleweed and oil derricks.

Houston is big and dirty (not as big as Dallas/Ft.W), petrochemical growth. I've been there a few times, I noticed smog.

Corpus Christi is a beach city. I go there to go to the beach/vacation. Not sure of it's growth.

Here's an interesting comparison between Austin and Dallas. Obviously don't take this completely to heart but from personal experience I support it.

http://www.traveland...llas-fort-worth

Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the US at the moment, and as Disembodied stated it's a tech and music center. It's very scenic and in the hill country due to the colorado river. Lots of lakes and parks.

Dallas is huge, and lots of money. Everyone I've met that has lived in Dallas didn't like it at all. Just a forewarning.

San Antonio is also growing. Not sure of it's industry though. Unfortunately lots of slums.

El Paso is becoming a slum but it's not bad. Aside from there steer clear of anywhere west Texas (including Lubbock), there's nothing out there but tumbleweed and oil derricks.

Houston is big and dirty (not as big as Dallas/Ft.W), petrochemical growth. I've been there a few times, I noticed smog.

Corpus Christi is a beach city. I go there to go to the beach/vacation. Not sure of it's growth.

Corpus is starting to grow faster now. We kicked out all of the elder councle members (figuratively speaking. Not saying all of them weren't innovative or old but quite a few of them were long time citizens and were against city growth) that were scared of change and wanted to preserve the city. But yeah, the only real problem you have with Corpus is the humidity, which, even though temperatures would be mid 90's to high 90's (peaking in the 100's) during the summer, the heat index can hit 105 - 110 (115 on rare occasions).

My aunt is a persecution lawyer in Dallas and she says crime rate is surprisingly low over there. but yeah, it's a pretty cool city. I'm going to be visiting it a lot this year and early next year (Furry Fiesta, Dallas cowboy games and whatnot).

EDIT: To verify Intus

Houston as a city is larger than Dallas population-wise, However the Dallas/Arlington/Ft. Worth Statistical metropolitan area is larger in population than the Houston/Sugarland/Baytown SMA

EDIT EDIT SEB IS HAVING A HARD TIME KEEPING UP WITH REPLIES:

SA can be very nice in some Areas from what I heqar from my friends in San Antonio. I suppose it's just a few areas in the City. Could leave that sort of mixed impression, SA covers a lot of land.

I have family that lives in Dallas. The upper portion (rich people side) is pretty damn good. They have not complained about anything but heat.

My brother lived in Texas for awhile. Same complaint was heat and being in a small town... Also he complained about illegals if that means anything. Those where his only complaints.