Clicky

Holes754

Weather: Hurricane Sandy

I just wanted to say good luck to you all who are caught in Sandy's path. I am on the Island, and will most likely get hit.

For those of you who do not know, there is a large storm that may not be classified as a hurricane yet, but was earlier in its life, and it will be going straight into New York, New Jersey, and parts of Connecticut.

Again, good luck to you all. I only wish the best.

Random tips from a multiple-hurricane victim. Time without power ranged from 4 days to 2 weeks over the 3 hurricanes I got hit with.

If you are in its path and expecting to get a large brunt of the storm you should clean your tub as soon as you can, and then the night it starts to hit fill it up with water. This isnt really for drinking so much as for toilet and MREs / washing ect. It helped keep our water bottle supply high since we werent wasting it on stuff that didnt necessarily need to be drinkable water.

candles: you will undoubtedly be going to bed earlier out of sheer boredom, but that doesnt mean you necessarily want to go to bed when its dark either. Get a bunch of cheap candles to put all over your house. We played a lot of board games at night, or just sat and red books by the candles.

Hand crank flashlights and hand crank radios. I was able to pick up 2 different radio stations with music. A classical and a college radio station so It wasnt ideal but it was better than silence. The flashlight is obviously nice because you dont waste batteries and can go for a walk or navigate your house after candles are blown out without having to relight one or more

There -will- be some church or national guard distributing MREs of various types. Churches or shelters / local places will be distributing non-military MREs which TBH arent that good, but still obviously you want to stock up on whatever you can get if the power goes out and is expected to be out for a while. Expect long lines, but they generally end up giving you a case per person and a few cases of bottled waters.

You can almost always expect national guard to be making trips in and out of town giving out surplus military MREs which come with a lot more variety and honestly I think taste better. They will be handing out a case per person (or have so here) and I think a case of water per 2 people, I think I remember them being kinda stingy with the water. They generally set up shop at some civil building like city hall, police station, ect. Though the trick to getting these is to know where it is, and when it is. They run out fast but make trips regularly. Unlike the civilian distributors you can count on these guys to be a constant source of MRE's throughout the post-disaster cleanup. Just make sure you know when they are expected and get there early.

AND LASTLY, BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST:

Make sure you have some cash, and know where your local gas and wood grill restaurants are. For the first few days you can count on them to be having cash-only specials with BBQ, basic sides, hamburgers, and limited other entrees. Even though military MREs are better than civilian ones, they are still not amazing. Enjoy good food while you can! The first night of the hurricanes my friends and I met up for some hanging out, drinking the last of the cold beer, and grilling up the meat before it went bad.

snip

^ What Dis said.

I would add in. Gather improvised weapons. If the utilities remain out for about a week or more, some people get antsy and are lazy. They will go after people that appear to be unarmed. An axe or machete works wonders to intimidate, baseball bats too (don't get aluminum, buy a wood one. If it breaks you have a sharp weapon).

ALSO. Reserve your gasoline and diesel fuel. Ride a bike or walk to survey damage around your area. Keep automobile use to picking up multiple supplies from various locations, make the trips count.

Improvise and overcome, Hurricanes can be bad. If you have some preparedness, you'll be ready for most anything it swings at you. Good luck.

I would add in. Gather improvised weapons. If the utilities remain out for about a week or more, some people get antsy and are lazy. They will go after people that appear to be unarmed. An axe or machete works wonders to intimidate, baseball bats too (don't get aluminum, buy a wood one. If it breaks you have a sharp weapon).

I'm going to be honest; Encouraging people to arm themselves, especially with 'improvised weapons' is both overly dramatic and unnecessary, and frankly uncivilized.

People should sooner evacuate their homes if they know they do not have the necessary supplies to survive more than a month, than to try and tough it out like it's Katrina 2.0 and go all civil war on each other for food or stealing shit from homes. There are plenty of disaster shelters and there likely will be more setup/opening as the storm hits/dissipates.

I live in Pennsylvania, so they're expecting to get hit here Sunday-Wednesday. >_>

Drasa if you need anything try and get a hold of me and we will bus you out some supplies n stuff. Stockpiled early. We should be golden for about a three month span + water up to wazoo.

I'm going to be honest; Encouraging people to arm themselves, especially with 'improvised weapons' is both overly dramatic and unnecessary, and frankly uncivilized.

People should sooner evacuate their homes if they know they do not have the necessary supplies to survive more than a month, than to try and tough it out like it's Katrina 2.0 and go all civil war on each other for food or stealing shit from homes. There are plenty of disaster shelters and there likely will be more setup/opening as the storm hits/dissipates.

I don't think the storm will Katrina our neck of the woods. Territory over here is nothing but farmlands and ditches, might help out. Also hey, never knock having a weapon just to be safe.