Clicky

SalemAdams Wobbit

Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare

Ok, first of all, yes, these games were originally Xbox 360 titles. Why is this topic here? Well, because I'm going to be talking about the PC port.

Alan Wake is a "Psychological horror third-person shooter," or at least that's what I've seen it called. Basically, you play as an author whose book is coming alive from the pages in the book. There is some foreshadowing within the game, where you'll read something in the pages, and then a few minutes later, it happens. It takes quotes from Stephen King and is a very Stephen King-esque game, but it's not very scary.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare is a direct sequel to the first game, but it takes place as an episode of an in-series TV series called "Night Falls," which is supposed to be their version of "The Twilight Zone." The game mechanics are slightly different (improved) than the previous title, but it still follows the same formula as the previous game.

Alan Wake is great. Story and atmosphere were great, and the length of the gameplay and story was impressive. I enjoyed this.

American Nightmare however, sucks. The entire game is about literally replaying a ministory and the same Ffffing cutscenes 4 times, and they added an arcade mode without any story where you just shoot the enemies as long as you want. The only good thing about it is the new guns.

(thanks)

Yeah, I'm seeing how American Nightmare is. Repetition, with variations in three places, with some engine updates. Really?

The original, well worth playing. I do like how if you time things right, you get the "cinematic" effect, which is essentially bullet-time (mostly dodging, but sometimes finishing off a wave of enemies). All the enemies in the first game (and -most- in the second) bring melee weapons to a gun fight...but you have to use a flashlight to make 'em weak...or some sort of light. Flashbangs, flares, and flare guns for everyone.