Clicky

Zero Itamae

Team Fortress 2: Scout Pack

Any guesses on the content of it? If any of you have kept up with the news around it, you'd know that it's been pretty difficult for them to balance it. I can't even begin to guess what the melee and secondary weapons will be, but I think the primary will be the nailgun, tribute back to TFC.

Edited by Zero Itamae

I've had some guesses, all of them being kind of dumb.

Melee - A wooden bat, that gets a one critical 100%, breaking after the first strike, then having some damage reduction after the critical strike, getting another bat meaning to go back to spawn ammo cabinet to replace.

Secondary - Loss of pistol for an accessory to up either speed or/and health, most likely just health. (Got this idea from the Heavy's sandvich since it isn't a weapon.)

Primary - Agreeing on the nailgun part.

This update is total and utter shit. Valve decided to make being killed by any of the new unlocks to be as very little satisfying as possible. They gave the Scout a portable ubercharge with no chargeup time, only a recharge. They could have just as well made the Scout THROW the ball from the Sandman, because it goes straight and gets launched instantaneously. It can be used at extremely close ranges in conjunction with the new shotgun to make it impossible to fight back against an attacker.

Outside the realm of the Scout, the Spy update introduced fixes that are -great- on paper but broke the gameplay of the class as a whole. Yeah, they removed facestabs, I can live with that and I'm glad they fixed the bug. But they broke backstabs, forcing the player to use the ultra-close range stab as compared to the swiping backstab. This basically means that, although the flipstab is instant (AKA the knife twirling to face downward before the stab), you need to be very close, and this update made it impossible to swipestab (horizontal slash) from a proper distance. So you basically have to be humping your target, making you an obvious Spy. In addition, the backstabs don't even register half the time (in other words, failure backstabs are 20 times more common) even if you get a proper hit.

Seriously, does Valve QA test their games anymore? This is sad and depressing. They used to be the shining star of the gaming market, and openly cared for balance in gameplay. Seems they've gone the route of EA Games and all those other big-brand publishers and started caring more about aesthetics and eye candy than actual worth in gameplay. Did they fix any glaring bugs that they foolishly introduced with patching, like rocketparticle pistols? Fuck no. Did they beta test with people from outside of Valve before releasing it? Most likely not.

On top of this, they did nothing to prevent the massive flood of people playing Scout. They didn't give any bonus incentive to play any other class, causing a torrent of everyone playing a single class, with new weapons that had no teamplay potential when used in such a massive clusterfuck. In addition, their lack of a new Meet The Team video and their deceptive chronogram timeline on teamfortress.com was a massive disappointment.

This game was perfectly balanced when it came out, because Valve actually took their time. They worked long and hard, gave this game a good ten years to find out what worked and what didn't. Back then, their company focused on gameplay and stability. Now, Valve offers no ability for server owners to choose whether they wanted to update their servers or not, forcing us to endure new, confusing gameplay.

I'd rather be playing CoD4. At least it's perfectly balanced.

Edited by Keystone Gray

I don't like the patch either. The moment I saw the Force Of Nature achievements I could tell this update was going to be 'lets rape the Pyro all over again'. After all the effort they put into making the pyro a viable class, there is once again a class that can do its job far better with far less skill. I decided to hop into a server to see how ridiculous the scout's weapons were, and I sadly was right.

If I wasn't getting sandman'd point blank and then blown 30 feet away with the Force of Nature, I was watching a scout doublejump his way through my flamethrower, and then leap right into my face before using the FoN's absurd knockback to not only send me into a knee-breaking impact on the ground but also threw the scout WELL beyond range, killing me in ONE SHOT. Then there's the fact the FoN fires such a huge wall of bullets it can wipe out stickies from a mile away. That one gun has turned the Scout into a jack of all trades just because of the raw amount of damage it puts out, and the fact the 'slow reload' is in fact faster then the regular reload. It has NO drawbacks, and is even more over-powered then the original Backburner.

And then there's the Sandman. It's absurd how easy it is to completely destroy an uber with that. Toss the Sandman at the medic, run up, grab the ball, and just beat him over the head with it. Over and over and over. What the !@$! was the point of making the Pyro's 'uber-breaking/demo-nerfing' airblaster if EVERY CLASS now has a weapon that does the job better?

Suffice to say, the Scout update is extremely disappointing. Glad I enjoyed playing Pyro while I could, because until the next update brings the Scout back down to earth, Pyros are going to be little more then walking point banks for Scouts and Heavies.

Ok, even as a Scout primary player, I find it true that the Force-a-Nature is extremely overpowered, to the point of being god-like. Keller is right about the Pyro's side, Pyro is put in the corner of failure I even think now the Scout is more of a threat than how the Soldier was to the Pyro.

The Scout is a replacement for the Soldier for one good reason, juggling. Take the power of the Soldier's juggling and just exchange the rockets for bullets, you can kill every other class excluding Demoman, Soldier, and Heavy with one clip.

I haven't tested the Bonk! or the Sandman, according to Keller, Bonk! is worthless and the Sandman is overpowered. I wish I could test them, but I only did a bit of farming just to test how strong the FaN was. I am going to get the other achievements by hard work.

All-in-all Scout is overpowered more than anything else.

After playing it a bit today, I think I'm just going to wait for the inevitable nerf patch for the scouts. It's totally ruined the pyro. Now you have NO choice but to W+M1 because all the other classes can render an ambush totally useless with a single shot. It was flat out infuriating to spend a good 30-60 seconds getting into position, and launching into an attack that would have been devastating pre-scout, only for one of the scouts to run up and Force-o-nature you into the air or Sandman you and mock you with one of his brand new dialogue lines (which I fucking hate. Seriously, did Valve make this update solely to piss off Pyro players?).

So yeah. I loved TF2, but the Scout update has basically taken my playing style and made it totally, completely pointless. Thanks for the memories TF2, I don't know when I'll be back.

I stopped playing on the furry servers. Too many hypocritical whiners, the "WAAAAH, I'M SAD THAT THIS IS BROKEN, but you can't complain about anything you bitch about so stfu" sort of aristocratic fucks.

So now I play on the "TheTempest" cluster servers. :D The {pDs} clan is full of a bunch of nice people. :o

Why I play Spy?

I play it for:

The thrill.

The adrenaline.

The deceit.

The acting.

The complexity.

The havoc.

-----

The sound of your balisong flipping open.

Tricking the enemy into thinking you're one of them for over a minute, and then betraying them all in the span of a second.

Stabbing a Sniper who thinks he's badass.

Making said Sniper ragequit because you ruined his killing spree... and kept it ruined.

Seeing Engineers curse your name in open chat.

Hearing a friend on the enemy team informing you that the entire team is raging about "that damned spy"... even if they're winning the match.

Weaving in and out of members of the enemy team, dodging them in a ballet fashion, uncloaking, then turning around and stabbing them all.

Making your mark on the enemy team, then retreating while being fired at, escaping unscathed.

Scaring the enemy, watching them check behind them every five seconds... but ironically, getting them from above like a ninja.

Making half of the enemy team switch to Pyro... and still kicking their asses.

Standing on a rock somewhere cloaked, laughing maniacally as you watch said enemy Pyros running in circles everywhere spamming their flamethrowers.

Catching some poor sap of a Pyro offguard when you show him that the revolver is not, as most people believe, "useless".

And lastly, but definitely not least...

That satisfying crunch of digging a knife into someone's spine.

-----

gentlemen.png

It's ironic. In Second Life, I'm a gentleman. In TF2, I'm a maniac.

Why do you play your class?

Why I play Spy?

I play it for:

The thrill.

The adrenaline.

The deceit.

The acting.

The complexity.

The havoc.

-----

The sound of your balisong flipping open.

Tricking the enemy into thinking you're one of them for over a minute, and then betraying them all in the span of a second.

Stabbing a Sniper who thinks he's badass.

Making said Sniper ragequit because you ruined his killing spree... and kept it ruined.

Seeing Engineers curse your name in open chat.

Hearing a friend on the enemy team informing you that the entire team is raging about "that damned spy"... even if they're winning the match.

Weaving in and out of members of the enemy team, dodging them in a ballet fashion, uncloaking, then turning around and stabbing them all.

Making your mark on the enemy team, then retreating while being fired at, escaping unscathed.

Scaring the enemy, watching them check behind them every five seconds... but ironically, getting them from above like a ninja.

Making half of the enemy team switch to Pyro... and still kicking their asses.

Standing on a rock somewhere cloaked, laughing maniacally as you watch said enemy Pyros running in circles everywhere spamming their flamethrowers.

Catching some poor sap of a Pyro offguard when you show him that the revolver is not, as most people believe, "useless".

And lastly, but definitely not least...

That satisfying crunch of digging a knife into someone's spine.

-----

gentlemen.png

It's ironic. In Second Life, I'm a gentleman. In TF2, I'm a maniac.

Why do you play your class?

Omg. Awesome shit.

The rubble.

The less-trouble.

The coward killing time.

The huge gun.

The thrill of destroying everyone who threatens you.

The murder of all the itty-bitty-teeny-baby teams.

Having a pair of Medic's give you Kritzkrieg and Ubercharge at the same time, completely destroying the enemies team.

Killing three Sentry's with an Uber when the Demoman who thought he was amazing destroyed only one.

Punching an enemies Sentry to death and his Dispensor, with the Teleporter, and the person coming outside of it with their back turned.

Having 4 Dominations in under a minute because of people who don't learn.

Eating your Sandvich before turning the corner and having the Heavy shout "WHAT WAS THAT SANDVICH? KILL THEM ALL? GOOD IDEA!"

Having the entire enemy team go Pyro and Heavy, but still fail to kill you.

Having an entire team rage in chat and some even switch to Medic on your team to repair the damage you did to their points.

Taking the Intelligence and capturing it without the help of a Medic.

Helping an Engineer build by shooting people to earn them metal.

Punching a cloaked Spy or shooting him in the ankles to hear them complain in chat.

Being the only thing between an enemy and their own control point, until you capture it.

Stopping in front of the enemies and eating your Sandvich, watching them turn the corner and run away afterward.

On SL I kill the cowards, on Team Fortress 2 I kill the cowards and their BABIES.