Clicky

Aryte

Officer Succession; Exchange of Command

Since Second Life is currently down . . I'll take the opportunity to write out some matters that I feel need to be addressed. By statute, it is stated:

IV-413: The highest ranking officer present assumes command during defensive postures, regardless of branch of affiliation (see tier of secession). All authority should be derived directly through the officer in charge (OIC)

In some recent defence situations where I was OIC we split up in to 2 commands, 1 for airborne and 1 for ground.

This seemed to work pretty well because the airborne commander could focus on airborne threats and coordinate there while ground commander kept an eye on ground movements and only reported people going up and from where to Astra.

Any opinions ?

The OIC can delegate wherever possible, but for the overall decisions, they're still the OIC. If I'm in sim with Gunau, I'd give him command over the people on the ground, but in the end, since I'm in Astra and assume OIC, I'm still in command.

It is good to delegate authority so one person isnt overwhelmed, but there is always a head honcho.

good to have this cleared up. i had some problems with another duplicarius earlier. this person was recently promoted to terra duplicarius and not wearing an officers suit and the Ordo Personell tag. We got attacked and i assumed command. I had the feeling he was a bit pissed off because i commanded the ground troops because he felt it was his job. So i took astra command at that very moment.

Huskie Eun wrote:

I've noticed though when i've asked a few time's who OIC is, no one responds. And we are left in confusion for quite a while until someone assume's command. That i think isnt healthy :\

If no one responds, ask again .. if no one responds again, just assume command I guess.

If the officer is doing their duty, then they'll assume command. If the only officer isnt responding or isnt taking command, then the highest enlisted will assume it until an officer is present. Then the enlisted will ask the officer if they wish to assume command.

There is always someone in command.