Clicky

Enialis

New PC, your thoughts?

I would've gone with a different motherboard, and maybe a little less RAM, something higher than DDR3 - 2000 maybe.

The i7 is a bit much if you're just doing gaming, however if you do rendering or something that eats CPU, it should be useful!

Would not agree with your thoughts on the memory. The CPU's native support is DDR3-1333/1600. So unless you fine-tune and tweak everything, the result in performance will not be that noticeable. And having a surplus in memory itself can be quite handy, I have 8 and I have to say I am struggling a bit at times when I suddenly want to run a memory heavy game and have a billion tabs open in a browser. Makes games with poor optimization(Or a ton of separate objects) run better. For instance X3.

I definitely wouldn't have gone with the EVGA PSU.  They've got alot of bad reviews about their stuff.  Probably would've been better off going Corsair or similar brands.

Not sure how it is on the US market, but here Cursair PSU's are quite.. eeh fishy. Cannot say much on the EVGA PSU line. But for something reliable I would have suggested the Seasonic Gold series. Very neat and modular PSU's.

Edited by Achtas

Not sure how it is on the US market, but here Cursair PSU's are quite.. eeh fishy. Cannot say much on the EVGA PSU line. But for something reliable I would have suggested the Seasonic Gold series. Very neat and modular PSU's.

I've got a Corsair TX750v1 in my computer right now.  While the V1 is terrible in comparison to the V2 because of the group they worked with, it is still a very good PSU.  The RM series from Corsair is about the best you're going to get right now too when it comes to quietness and correct power usage, whereas if you get a good HX model, like the 1050 or the old 850, you'd be gold also.

A lovely list of components! but my thoughts are: 'You have too much money to waste unless your developing and rendering 3D games and doing vast amounts of video editing'. xD 

It's awesome having an expensive build...But what are you using this for? :S

Oh and I just wanna add...Windows 8 is really only great when using a touch device or touch screen. It looses its luster and becomes more of a hindrance if you're using mouse. Windows 7 imo :)

Edited by NovaLancer

Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't wait for the 800 series because the mobile cards are the ones coming out Q1 and the desktop cards aren't expected to come out for another 3-6 months. I wanted the damn thing now! Also, my Crapple Crapbook is my only comp right now and its burned out 3 times from heat issues and the protection plan just ran out so I can't take it in a 4th time.

Picked this motherboard for cooling reasons and because of the dust protection. Heat and dust are my worst enemies in regards to computing. I only trust ASUS motherboards at this point, and there were only 1 or 2 others with higher performance, but lacked the other features.

The ram is 1866mhz,  the 2000+ price/performance ratio just wasn't worth it for me.

I actually wound up going with a Corsair model with modular cables, seemed decent enough, I can always replace it if it goes out.

Overkill for gaming, probably. No, video editing or rendering, but I do music recording/production work as a side job so this is my hybrid gaming/DAW machine. I look at it as more of a business expense I guess than a personal indulgence. The amount of money I've wasted on some of the guitars I just HAD to have though when I really only use the one for most things....

I really haven't had a problem with Windows 8.1 so far, after tweaking it a little, its feels basically like Windows 7 with better Snap features and some shiny features I'll never use. I'm not exactly a huge fan of it, but I still remember the pain of reformatting and re-downloading a huge library of games/music/software after DX11 only games started coming out and I was still on XP, figured I might as well get it now and learn the ins and outs before its eventually forced on me.

Right now, its sitting happily at a cool 15 degrees C while I wait to test it out after my library downloads. Lamenting the fact that I can only get 7Mbs downstream in a rural area without buying a cable TV package. Now, if someone has any directions as to where I can throw my money to fix that issue, then I'd be perfectly satisfied for the next 3-4 years.

Cheers!