Clicky

Angelin01

Angelin's Dwarfy Fort

Oh yeah, it's going to be a long read. Maybe worth your time, maybe not. Try it out if you can :)

So, the first question that probably is going to come to mind when clicking on this post, for most people anyways, is: "What?"

I have played Dwarf Fortress for some time now. I'm not good at it, at all, but I find it entertaining and would maybe like to share some of it with the nice folks on Ordo, and I plan on doing something like a diary, with random updates on random intervals. Most of you will read this part, maybe take a look at the rest, and not be interested ever again. I personally don't care, even if nobody reads, don't feel bad, I don't expect you to read it anyway, especially because DF is not a game for everyone. Maybe I should explain what it is first huh?

Introduction (Skip this if you understand the basic concept of the game)

The gamemode I shall be playing is the default gamemode: Dwarf Fortress. The concept is simple: you start with 7 dwarves and try to establish an outpost, a fort, for your civilization. The game requires you to take care of a great deal of things, like: food, water, temperature, happiness, invasions(sieges or ambushes), diplomacy, etc, etc. Most of the bad things in the game will be described as !FUN!. Why Fun? Because the game's motto is: "Losing is fun!". You'll lose in so many ways and you get no mercy, just have to start over, the fun is too big.

Initially, your fort will be slow and calm (most of the time anyway), until you start to increase your population. The main way to do so is migrants, childs take years to grow and once that time comes, it's probably too late for your beautiful fortress. You can pick what stats your first 7 dwarves come with, migrants are randomized, so you'll have to work with what you get. Here's a fun part: you can give your dwarves nicknames, and I'm giving my dwarves Ordo names, I'll talk about that later.

I feel like I could spend years explaning the game, therefore I'll not do it, I'll not get in depth with my explations, and all my "diary entries" will be written in a way most people would understand.

Now, if you managed to stick until here, this could scare you off: the game's main graphics are... ASCII. Yes, there are tilesets, but I'm not using any. Understanding what is going on is going to be hard, but I'll try to point things out.

Entry 1: A fort starts to rise

I started a new fort earlier today and played around with it, about 2 hours or so. Enough to get past the initial boringness. I started in a Taiga, the snow never melts, even in summer. Getting water is going to be difficult, but I already have something going.

The picture below shows the first level of my floor. It's dug in sand, because it's easy and doesn't leave anything behind that would take time for my dwarves to haul. I've got a Trade Depot outside, and just made my first trade with the Mountainhomes. The rest are basicly workshops, stockpiles and a couple farms. Underground yes, plump helmets are awesome. For now, I shouldn't need to get actual water, brewing drink from plants will be enough unless I get an injury of some kind. Then I'll have a problem.

post-1309-0-67668000-1406434339_thumb.pn

I dug down 1 Z level, found myself some stone to work with. There I dug a dining room and some basic bedrooms. Dwarves need a place to sleep. Why in rock this time? Because you can smooth and engrave rock, and dwarves like their kitchens and bedrooms all engraved and such.

post-1309-0-35299000-1406434484_thumb.pn

One more Z level down and look at what I found: Hematite. Iron ore. And I have a flux stone layer on this area, which means I can make steel later on. GREAT. You can see some of my mining here.

post-1309-0-70282200-1406434491_thumb.pn

As I've said, Dwarf Fortress is cruel, and your dwarves are going to die, at one point or another. Unfortunately, deaths this early can be bad, bad bad. One of my miners was hauling some stone to the workshops when suddenly, on the Z level above, a tree fell down. The log crush the ground under it, making a hole and falling on my dwarf. It was quick, there was nothing else that could be done. I started to dig a graveyard area for the future. Just wish I didn't have to start so early. The dwarf's tomb is already in place.

post-1309-0-04514900-1406434498_thumb.pn

This particular spot has a lot going for it. Why? It has metals, flux stone and most imporatly: a volcano. The volcano will allow me to easily power my furnaces later on and I should save up on a lot of fuel when smelting and crafting things. Also, lava is fun and I can and probably will turn it into a weapon at some point.

post-1309-0-21281200-1406434503_thumb.pn

This is my progress so far. Then I had this ideia, let's name all my dwarves after Ordo people:

post-1309-0-92755800-1406436403_thumb.pn

I put the names in a random, for the most part. I didn't check for gender or anything. If someone does not want their name in here for any reason (or no reason), tell me, and I will remove it. If you know someone that will NOT read this and has their name in there, tell them and ask if they're okay with it. If they're not... Anyway, I'll not name the childs, they don't deserve real names yet. If someone else wants their name in here, just tell me, I'll be happy to put it in on the next wave of migrants.

Some of you I don't even talk to, I just picked your name at random, maybe looking through people that were on TS3 at the time or had a recent post on the forums.

First day conclusions

I'll post these randomly, and I don't how frequently either, I guess I'll just update it every once and a while. Also, most entries will not be this long. I wanted to introduct a bit of the game on this one. Most updates will contain at most 1 or 2 pictures and 1 or 2 paragraphs. I'd appreciate your support, maybe just a happy comment or some type of crazy idea for me to do. Thanks for reading this first entry. More to come soon. (Hopefully) :D

Edited by Angelin01

Entry 2: The future is near

After these nice replies, I decided to get up early and do a bit more, see what I could get out of it.

I'm going to try and point some things out so the pictures make more sense :)

Beggining the day, I finished my bedrooms. Some of you didn't have beds yet, the last migrant wave caught me by surprise. Everything should be sorted out now.

post-1309-0-02310900-1406468738_thumb.pn

"WAIT, Angelin, I don't understand that picture AT ALL!"

Let me explain some of what is in it: The smiley faces are your dwarves. Beings like dogs, humans, elves, giant mudereous toads, are represented by letters of different type and color. For example, elves are represented by "e", humans by "Ü". Other simbols just represent the world. The more roundish 8s there are beds, for example. Use your imagination :)

Oh yeah, on that picture, Xoza organized a party at our dining room. At the same time, an elven caravan arrived. I hate elves, they are useless and complain about everything and I'm going to murder them all when they come trade. While people were partying with Xoza, Odin had to go outside on the snowstorm to trade with the fruity cannibalistic tree huging spawns from hell elves. I only got some food out of it... great...

post-1309-0-04051000-1406468748_thumb.pn

Right after that, I procceded into training some hunting dogs, brought two with me when I embarked on the journey. Being both hunters, me and Huttser got each a dog. I have to say the meat stockpiles increased a lot.

I started digging out my future smithing area. Nuzzy and Firefox are in trouble. More on that later :)

"A dwarf was taken by a fey mood". Deadmon.

What does it mean to be taken by a fey mood? Moods in DF are what happens when your dwarf gets to the next level of inspired. The dwarf will claim a workshop and sit there demanding materials for some crazy build. The build will allways turn out to be an artifact and it's value will be high.

post-1309-0-01103600-1406468757_thumb.pn

There is a slight problem though. The dwarves require materials right? Deadmon is screaming for bones, rocks and metals bars. My forges are not ready, I have no metal. If a dwarf taken by a mood doesn't recieve the demanded goods in time, a couple things could happen. They could withdraw from society, which means they'll be reclusive. They could get melancholic. Or, things could turn out for the worse: they could go berserk and start attacking everyone and everything, at which point I'll have to assign military to put them down. I don't have metal bars and the forges are not CLOSE to being done. I expect the worse...

On a more happy note, to end this entry, Aryte is considered the official drunk now. Odin told me yesterday that having Aryte as my brewer wasn't a great idea. I'm starting to agree. I saw Aryte brewing some drink and taking it to the stockpile, and right after bringing that entire barrel of ale down to the kitchen and drinking it all by himself. Moments later, he went upstairs to brew some more... Damn dude, how much can you take?

Entry 3: The Tides of Innovation

Deadmon was getting desperate. I had to do something. I wasn't going to lose another so quick so early. I decided do cancel all jobs my miners had and dug down. Found some silver ore. That was actually a surprise, but an amazing one at that. Preparing the iron would take too much time. But silver? A couple orders away. I quickly demanded that my dwarves built a Smelter, a normal one, not a magma one. I ordered the production of a couple pieces of charcoal. Now all I needed was that my dwarves got the silver ready. It took some time, but it was quick enough. Deadmon rushed and grabbed the silver bar and immediatly began his mysterious construction. He shouted constinously: "Ushul ìtdìm" and worked non-stop. After some time, Ushul ìtdìm was created: a groundhog bone cage.

hzSSY8B.png

It may not seem like much, but things like this are probably worth more than 10 refined gems combined. It shall not be sold though, it was created in our fortress and shall stay here.

In the mean time, we had a little surprise. Congratulations going to Valos, you are the proud parent of a new baby dwarf! I have no idea who the father is so... uhm... Good luck?

r7IozjH.png
That baby probably won't reach working age. FPS death happens before that.

Oh, the joy, everything turned out fine right? Deadmon built us something great, Valos is the lastest mother on the fortress and Xoza has become the mayor... WAIT WHAT?

While I was distracted, this huge wave of migrants arrived. My population rose from 26 to 50. That upgraded the fort, and so a mayor was elected. 

uoNSeiA.png
Later on, royalty will look towards this fortress. Ohhh it will be !FUN!...

Now Xoza needs better quarters and a baroness arrived with that migration too, so one that's more nice bedroom that needs to be built. Because of this I decided to smooth and then engrave all the stone on my kitchen and bedrooms. I gave most of those useless migrants the ability to do so. Progress has begun. Also, XOZA YOU ARE ANNOYING. WHY CAN'T I EXPORT BOLTS?

pndwUYu.png
Notice those walls look a bit different? That's smooth stone. Nothing engraved here yet.

Because we had such a big population increase, I had to set up a military squad, and because of that a barracks. Those are both being worked on. Xevrand is the proud leader of my first squad. Congratulations!

Also, because military dwarves require equipment, I decided to start my steel production early, it's also being worked on. 

Q1Y6gFK.png

BY THE WAY. Dwarves get injured, so we need a hospital, which means we need a chief medical dwarf. Kavia, you're up. You have no skill and never touched an injured dwarf. You'll have to Diagnose, treat diseases, fix broken bones and try to save that one dwarf that will eventually come with his left leg missing and his chest cut open, the sword still stuck in it. GOOD LUCK!

3Ogzp7t.png

Feel like I'm pumping these out too quick? Yap, I played a lot today. I'm going to try and not post them TOO frequently so I can MAYBE keep some interest in.

ALSO, I have a lot of free spots for names. I'd like sugestions please. Just throw names at me and I'll rename some dwarves. TY :)

Edited by Angelin01

Pft, keep all the bolts to ourselves. Well need them when we start raiding other settlements.

Feel like I'm pumping these out too quick? Yap, I played a lot today. I'm going to try and not post them TOO frequently so I can MAYBE keep some interest in.

It's okay, your additions make it interesting and easier to understand what's going on  :grin: .

Entry 3.5: A bonus. To population.

I traded with my first human caravan. They are hard to crack at first, but they bring a lot of goodies like leather, for cheap. I sense a good relationship coming.

Right after that, I started to engrave Xoza's quarters and I found this particular one right here which I thought I would share because it looked interesting.

fOh2YrJ.png

Dwarf Fortress has a lot of depth to it. That engraving talks about this fortress. There's and entire world out there.

Xoza, I would like to name that Logem Asëndesor. Any idea?

A couple minutes later, while making some more progress, Aldotsk had a baby, congrats! And then I had one! And then Kavia had one, and then Firefox had one, and then Gavriel had one, and then Shizzerk... Don't ask, I have no clue. We had like 6 births in a period of 8 seconds, never saw that before. And right after that baby explosion, migrants! Oh, the joy...

7nMHhLK.png

We worked this out last night I tots took Odin cause I can't sleep with my boss cause he's got someone and Aryte has someone and well ..... Huttser is gay so I'm left with Odin and I will pick Odin!

You are married to Keller :P. Also, you are a mom of 7...

post-1309-0-58905400-1406576954_thumb.pn