Clicky

Xoza

Windows 10

290px-Windows_10_Logo.svg.png

Available July 29th

I just got a notification on my Windows 8 machine to "reserve my free copy". While a lot of people have animosity toward any new OS release as usual, it does stand as the every other version, 'good' version, theory. So let's hope that it still remains.

I will be upgrading my desktop and I haven't done a ton of research into the new OS so I'm not sure exactly what to expect right away. Once I'm upgraded I will post the most notable things and the tweeks I would have had to do to keep it as PC / Windows 7'ish as I'm used too.

Discuss!

I got the notification for it too, I've been playing around with Windows 10 just a little, not too much to post anything of any relevance to help people decide if its worth it or not. I was just able to get into the little preview that they do, just about anyone could really. Wish I played more with it on my 8.1 laptop.

I'd stay far away from Windows 10 for the time being. Microsoft is openly considering switching to a platform as a service, pay per month/year for your security updates model.

That alongside the "one modular windows 10 for any area of application" sounds like a reliable, proven recipe for doom. Anyone remember blue screens on   some kinds of ATMs, POS terminals and other insane applications where they thought using windows 95 and XP was a good idea?

Have a rummage around technet before you move to 10.

There's a big surprise.. Microsoft is gonna milk their users for every dollar they can get their hands on all while telling them its for their own good and that we should be thankful they're watching out for us. Sounds like theyve taken a few tips from Apple (Ironic huh?) When we start seeing Microsoft machines that you have to pay 60+ dollars for a USB ethernet dongle (Macbook Pro, Macbook Air etc) then we'll know for sure. Linux just gets more and more appealing by the day... which is why Im happy with my SuSE.

Edited by Kishoshima Dragonash

Microsoft’s prestigious Windows 10 operating system finally started hitting end users as a free upgrade. It’s been around 9 months that Microsoft engineers are working so hardly along with over 5 million Windows Insiders to shape up the popular desktop operating system. Now, the end users can directly get full version of Windows 10 for free but users have to run on genuine version of Windows to get it.

Microsoft’s prestigious Windows 10 operating system finally started hitting end users as a free upgrade. It’s been around 9 months that Microsoft engineers are working so hardly along with over 5 million Windows Insiders to shape up the popular desktop operating system. Now, the end users can directly get full version of Windows 10 for free but users have to run on genuine version of Windows to get it.

Windows-10-free-update-downloading-notif

The update will be notified like the above image. It is about 2.71GB in size so you should have stable, faster internet connection to download this file. It may include extra charges, make sure about that before going to download it.

Windows 10 for Business:

On the other hand, Windows 10 for Businesses is also available for download from today onwards.

“We’re excited to begin to make Windows 10 available today to all of our customers. As we’ve shared, Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro are available for business customers as a free* upgrade for genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs and tablets. Enterprises and organizations who have Volume Licensing can upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education starting on August 1″, Jim Alkove, lead of the Windows Enterprise Management team noted.

Download ISO files:

Windows 10 will be hitting all the genuine users over the course of few weeks. If you don’t want to wait for that much time, users can download and install Windows 10 ISO files manually.

Pre-requisites:

An internet connection (Extra fees may apply).

Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.

A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4GB of space if you want to create media.

If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) to activate the Windows 10 version.

Download it from here And select your version x86 or x64

Only issues so far... 

• Seems really slow at first, may have solved it by turning off all the worthless "apps running in the background" and other stuff in privacy settings.

• Steam fonts got really, solved by going here, downloading SteamFonts.zip and unzipping and installing the missing fonts (don't overwrite the one's you already have installed, you should only need to install the full CAPITOL.TTF ones).

• Had to reinstall my video drivers completely.

Still looking into a few things...

• Uninstalling "Microsoft Edge", If you don't use IE, you may as well just disable this when it asks, when you do the upgrade initially...

• NVidia can't tune my games because it doesn't know that I have a compatible card...

• Interface interactions aren't very responsive. I click close, or a tab and it takes 2 sec or more to do it.

Suggested...

• If you don't plan to use Cortana, you can disable her, or don't bother setting her up.

• If you're going from Win 8 to Win 10, take a picture of your tiles, you'll have to set them up again if you want to use them again.

• Go through all privacy settings, disable everything you don't think you'll need right away, then come back later and re-enable for only those applications when you start to need them to have access... ex: I have my camera disabled, but when I stream again after it pings the need to use the camera, the application that needs it should show up in the list and you can enable it separately. Unfortunately you may have to check privacy often, because I believe this is on by default for new programs, when it's on.

• Go through all your settings and make sure everything is accurate, again, disable anything you won't need.

If you want to create your own classic start menu you can.

1. Right click your taskbar

2. Add a new Toolbar

3. Link to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

4. Unlock your toolbar

5. Move it next to your start menu

6. Cram the running applications bar, right up against it, so the ">>" shows.

7. Lock your toolbars.

I've had this since Windows XP, I used it in 7 a little in 8 and it still works in 10. I'll probably just use tiles but it's nice to see the default shortcut folders and be able to organize them or get program pins from it.

My Wildstar FPS improved, things seem a bit more crisp as well (noticed this also when I originally upped to Win 8). The one game I haven't tried yet that I have FPS issues with though is TOR, so I'll be trying that out, probably Friday.