Clicky

IcedPhoenix Seferis

Paintball at AnthroCon

People who are fervently devoted to pointing out that "Airsoft sucks" are typically paintballers who've only been exposed to those spring-powered clear-plastic $25 pistols you get at Wal-Mart. It's like if I'd been airsofting for years using a Tokyo Marui M4 with a modded battery and was accustomed to firing .25g BBs at 350 FPS and then one day, someone showed me a Brass Eagle Talon. I'd be like "What the fuck this is shit."

People who are fervently devoted to pointing out that "Airsoft sucks" are typically paintballers who've only been exposed to those spring-powered clear-plastic $25 pistols you get at Wal-Mart. It's like if I'd been airsofting for years using a Tokyo Marui M4 with a modded battery and was accustomed to firing .25g BBs at 350 FPS and then one day, someone showed me a Brass Eagle Talon. I'd be like "What the fuck this is shit."

Paintball > Airsoft

I'd rather shoot someone with large rounds, rather than those little bb's. D: But, I'd be willing to try it.

Paintball > Airsoft

I'd rather shoot someone with large rounds, rather than those little bb's. D: But, I'd be willing to try it.

Out of a good gun, those little BBs actually travel at higher velocities than paintballs (usually upwards of 350-400 FPS), but they're smaller and don't break on impact, so they tend to sting a lot more and leave nastier welts too. And you're usually firing them on full-auto, so anyone who gets hit by them gets hit by a LOT of them.

Oh, and did I mention they're a lot cheaper too?

And with airsoft, the cost of an average paintball gun is the cost of a high-end airsoft gun.

And airsoft guns are all made to mount real firearm accessories such as scopes, flashlights, vertical grips, etc.

And airsoft guns come in a variety of different weapon types (SMGs, sniper rifles, shotguns, assault rifles, pistols) allowing for more depth and team strategy in skirmishes.

And airsoft guns reload and otherwise handle like their real-life counterparts.

And it's actually legal in the US to alter or remove the orange tip once you get the gun so long as you don't ship or sell it, and if it's part of the muzzle brake or something, you can just put electric tape over it if it's really that big of an issue.

Think I covered all my bases there. :awesome:

When blood seeps through their clothing >:)

In airsoft, there are no referees purposefully calling people out who have paint on them or something. It isn't necessary becasue the people involved are honest people. Dishonest people get ostracized like they should be. :3

There's no way it could be ever possible to play airsoft with mass numbers of people if there are no referees to call out players. Sorry, but people are not /all/ honest. Using a paintball marker leaves nice and more than noticeable marks that can easily be called out. Not only that, but paintballs are biodegradable, in other words, they basically dissolve safely without hurting the environment. So, those bbs may be cheap, but I'd rather not be shitting out plastic all over the place that could possible harm something.

Oh, and to comment on the realism of paintball markers, more and more are the manufactures creating them to mimic the looks of real guns, so they're rather sexy and fun to use. But, I'd have to say my favorite part is looking back at the "battlefield" and seeing all the paint splatters. <3

Not only that, but paintballs are biodegradable, in other words, they basically dissolve safely without hurting the environment. So, those bbs may be cheap, but I'd rather not be shitting out plastic all over the place that could possible harm something.

A vast majority of company's offer high quality biodegradable BB's.

:D

There's no way it could be ever possible to play airsoft with mass numbers of people if there are no referees to call out players. Sorry, but people are not /all/ honest.

Larger airsoft games typically do make use of referees.

Using a paintball marker leaves nice and more than noticeable marks that can easily be called out.

I saw a guy get his tooth broken by a stray BB once. That count as nice and more than noticeable? :actually:

Not only that, but paintballs are biodegradable, in other words, they basically dissolve safely without hurting the environment. So, those bbs may be cheap, but I'd rather not be shitting out plastic all over the place that could possible harm something.

Already covered. Even the cheap shitty .12g BBs you get with $20 springers are biodegradable nowadays.

Oh, and to comment on the realism of paintball markers, more and more are the manufactures creating them to mimic the looks of real guns, so they're rather sexy and fun to use.

Yeah, I've seen these and I gotta say, it just doesn't live up to something that EXACTLY mirrors an actual firearm. You can throw MP5 or AR-15 parts onto it, but it's not gonna feel like a real gun if you have a 20 oz. CO2 tank and a 200-ball hopper sticking out of it.

That's great, how come I've never seen anyone use them D:<?

I dunno, do you airsoft? If not, that's probably why. :confused:

Larger games do just fine, as I have attended some of the largest every year. Referees aren't entirely possible in the fields where we play, but aren't necessary in the least. People bitch and moan and complain no differently than paintballers have about calling hits. The difference being that there are those who simply do it for enjoyment, as milsim isn't a competition.

I used to participate in a full-contact boffer combat organization called Belegarth. It operated on a similar honor system in that it was up to the person being hit to call their hits and "deaths" if necessary. Belegarth combat tends to be pretty fast-paced, especially during good one-on-one skirmishes, but people who didn't call their hits were very quickly branded "rhinohiders" and ostracized from the community at large.

Interestingly enough, the organization of Belegarth on a nationwide scale actually played host to a lot of drama not all that dissimilar to the kind we find in SL militaries. Belegarth is divided into groups on two levels. Realms are geographical. If you fight with a certain group of people in a certain place once or twice a week, that's your realm. My realm was Khazad-Dum for a while until half the people there got fucking sick of the Uruk-Hai acting like a bunch of retarded shitheads and we broke off to start our own realm in a different part of town and called it Dol Armoth. On an organizational/political level, there are units. Units are sort of like armies in SL. Units have insignia, and generally some kind of uniform standard, but they could be organized into either merry bands of like-minded battle buddies, or into strict military-style units with rank and such. Units can sometimes exist within a realm or span over multiple realms.

The largest unit in Belegarth was the Uruk-Hai, who were sort of like a combination between the Orcs of Mordor and the Orks of Warhammer FB. Straight Orky. They tended to favor strong wall formations and overwhelming opposing forces with numbers, but a lot of them tended to take the "We're the evil guys" too far and were kind of douchebags. Picture Vanguard's attitude with the Mercz's numbers and funding. Uruk-hai members were, for a price, supplied with prefab uniforms and leather armor, and were led by a guy named Warlord Vhil. Interestingly enough, shortly before I gave up the sport, the Uruk-Hai created an alliance with two other units (Clan of the Hydra and Moredain) forming a union which they called the Iron Crown. Watching them do their war march at large events was funny because they'd be chanting "IRON CROWN" over and over and from a distance it sounded to many people quite suspiciously like "WHITE POWER."

The Uruk-Hai really wasn't my clique. I mostly hung out with a group called the Templar Draconis Kestevaria (TDK), which placed a heavy emphasis on exercising an honor code in combat, training really really hard all the fucking time, and tradition and ceremony. TDK used to be a pretty sizeable group but by the time I got involved with the sport it had shrunk. The group was also on pretty friendly terms with another unit, Heidoran, which focused on implimenting shield wall/polearm/archery tactics into small-scale skirmishes.

Hell, I kinda miss Belegarth now. :sadfrown:

Don't get me wrong, I've seen airsoft in action, and yes, it does look fun. However, I've always chosen to play paintball over airsoft for the sheer power you feel. You're using either CO2 or Compressed Air to fire your rounds, and they fucking hurt. They're large rounds and they tear apart shit. From what I've seen in airsoft, you don't get the satisfying feeling associated with a kill. The bbs are so small it's impossible to tell when you have hit someone, and that simply is not fun for me. I love to see my shots hit my opponent, they're more than noticeable and it's such a rewarding experience. When it comes to descibing the power behind airsoft and paintball, airsoft hits make a "ting" sound and paintball hits make a "thud" sound. Also, airsoft guns sound .. for lack of a better word. . pathetic. You can hear all the parts moving around inside, and the electric hum when you fire. Unlike paintball, where you feel the rounds leave the gun, and not to mention it sounds rather nice.

Oh and, the hopper can be replaced with more realistic looking magazines/clips, and the tank is almost always secured on the back of the player with a remote line.

More satisfying kill? Messy, can hold fewer rounds, cannot reload as fast, does not feel like a real weapon, alternatives to hoppers are meh. The guns themselves make a wide array of noises, and there is already a gas version of the standard armalite format. Other companies have already innovated other ideas and they sound far better than any paintball gun.

More satisfying kill? Messy, can hold fewer rounds, cannot reload as fast, does not feel like a real weapon, alternatives to hoppers are meh. The guns themselves make a wide array of noises, and there is already a gas version of the standard armalite format. Other companies have already innovated other ideas and they sound far better than any paintball gun.

Can hold fewer rounds? Well yeah! We don't spray and pray, we like to pick our shots and conserve ammo. At least, that's what I thought was more realistic. As for paintball markers not feeling real? Oh boy, you must have never used one that wasn't bought outside of Walmart. Oh and, messy is what makes it so satisfying, if you were shot with a real weapon you would bleed, and that is messy, that's realistic, right?

There's a gas version now too? Well, airsoft must be trying to catch up :>

There's a gas version now too? Well, airsoft must be trying to catch up :>

Automatic gas-powered airsoft guns (powered by propane gas, actually) have existed for longer than electric ones have.

Also, it's been a while since I've done paintball. Is the Tippman Model 98 still as popular as it was when I was in Jr. High? They sell those at the Wal-Mart around here now.

Automatic gas-powered airsoft guns (powered by propane gas, actually) have existed for longer than electric ones have.

Also, it's been a while since I've done paintball. Is the Tippman Model 98 still as popular as it was when I was in Jr. High? They sell those at the Wal-Mart around here now.

Some of the earliest were CO2 powered :3

I run propane in my gas Ruger Mk3 (Obviously you have to add silicone) but its worlds cheeper than the lubricated unscented "green gas".

Also, whoever said, fewer rounds... Most airsoft guns hold the standard amount for the gun, although many have high capacity magazines, that have the 30 round area, and then a storage area that you fill from via a crank wheel on the bottom.

The Tippman 98 is a cheap, but more than effective starter paintball marker. However, you wont get the "realistic feel" from it stock, but it's a great starter marker than can be easily modified.

They're called midcaps. Require no winding (like hi-caps) and can hit upwards of 200 rounds. Also more plentiful and cheaper than stock mags normally. Hi-caps can hit something like 600 depending on the gun (and thousands in drum mags and the like).

Gas came WAY before electric guns. Electric has just become more common due to simplicity and ease of use.