Clicky

Kytec Switchblade

An idea for everyone.

So back in the day, when I used to play dark ages there used to be something called Master Levels. The concept behind master levels was a series of tasks ranging from solo encounters to group to battle group (2+ groups) that would gain you a skill or an ability that was somehow out of the norm and usefull. So i'm sitting at work and it clicked. This could be the answer to all our problems.

This is how i see this working. In the game you had different master lines you could chose from, but the brilliant thing about them is that even though the 3 realms were completely different, the master lines stayed the same. If we had our own type of master levels sets of 10 challenges that ranged from solo to needing a group of 5-10 that at the end granted you a toy or ability that was available to -everyone- people would have less to complain about on all fronts, people would have something to work towards in their down time, people who are skilled would be seen as a high master rank and people will have a real perception of why they are in the positions they are.

The higher abilities will garner a distinctive advantage, however, the tasks themselves prevent anyone who is completely incompetent and un dedicated from achieving them. None of them are a "god mode" as they all have timers or limitations. The worry of lag is minimal, especially when the weapons that might generate lag are extremely difficult to acquire and have long timers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are two examples of what we could use as mastery lines

"Sniper"

ML1.) Basic sniper rifle (similar to the g3sg1)

ML2.) Eagle Eye targeting hud (similar to our praeda hud)

ML3.) Decoy (rezzes a particle soldier as a distraction that lasts 10 seconds)

ML4.) Trip mine (5m radius explosion, 1m trip prim)

ML5.) Vanish (15 second invisibility with movelock, offsetting avatar 30 meters underground with an animation while leaving hitbox above ground)

ML6.) tracking drone (only moves as fast as avatar run, has 1 hp and can be shot, kills when it touches an avatar and explodes 3m radius, fired from a cage shaped gun that has a 20 second reload single fire)

ML7.) Hellfire Sniper Rifle (similar to the adjudicator, standard single sniper shot, but when held for 5 seconds will unleash an extremely fast burst of 10 shots and incur a 10 second cool down reload)

ML8.) Terra destruct trip mine (10m radius 5m trip prim)

ML9.) Sniper's fortification (1000 hp degeneratable shield similar to the tank shield should die in roughly 10 hits)

ML10.) Tesla rifle (must hold and charge for 20 seconds, once charged will fire a single 9001 meter megaprim energy beam, 20 second pre-charge prevents misuse, animation stance and very limited particle charging display shows intent to use)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Warlord"

ML1.) Basic Shotgun (similar to the titan mossberg)

ML2.) Combat roll (similar to the mercz roll)

ML3.) Ripper (melee chainsword)

ML4.) Frag grenade (5m radius, 5 second re-throw)

ML5.) Adrenaline rush (attachment doubles run speed)

ML6.) Obliterating shout (gesture activated point blank area effect 10M radius "explosion" that doesn't effect the user)

ML7.) Hellfire minigun (similar to our minigun except with censura sized bullets)

ML8.) Cluster Grenade (throws 5 grenades like a shotgun shot, each grenade with a 5m radius)

ML9.) Warrior's Defense (1500 hp shield, similar to the tank shield, meant to die in roughly 15 hits)

ML10.) Thrasher (Energy sword with 5M hit dist, when held for 4 seconds activates a strong forwards dash sending the user roughly 20 meters in whichever direction mouselook is facing)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each master level would be excessively dificult to complete. Seeing people that had achieved ml10 would signify they had spent about 5 months working diligently at completeing each task. It wouldn't be seen as "oh another noob abusing a thrasher or a tesla rifle" it would be seen as "oh shit, we have a ML10 warlord in spawn, i know this guy, he's good"

An example of the tasks required to complete ML1:

1L0: (solo) Write a letter, describing which ML line best suites your character. Must be a minimum of 250 words. Save as "Name, ML1 step 1, Date"

1L1: (solo) score 100 points on a shooting range (list the sims with the specific range in mind) on easy. Screenshot scores and submit.

1L2: (2+) Send 1 fellow group member a teleport during combat once they've died, or to gain an advantageous position, then take a screenshot and submit.

1L3: (experience) attend one group training exercise, only log date of training and submit.

1L4: (2+) Team up with a friend during a raid, at new jessie, during combat exercises, or in any other combat sim, take screenshot and submit.

1L5: (2+) Visit an allied sim and introduce yourself. Show confirmation with either logs or screenshots.

1L6: (solo) Spend 1 hour on defense in your home sim. Log times and submit.

1L7: (solo) Write a detailed report on step 1L6 recording all events regardless of significance and submit.

1L8: (experience) Attend one group meeting, only log date of meeting and submit.

1L9: (experience) Attend one group raid, only log date of raid and submit.

1L10: await approval by mastery board, receive unlock.

An example of ML2:

2L0: (solo) Write a letter to your CO, explaining your goals and aspirations within the group. Submit afterwards.

2L1: (solo) Score 150 points on a shooting range (list the sims with the specific range in mind) on easy. Screenshot scores and submit.

2L2: (2+) Remind one of your fellow group members of one of your rules, or teach a fellow group member a rule they had not known. Log and submit.

2L3: (experience) attend one group training exercise, only log date of training and submit.

2L4: (2+) Lead a small group of 2 or more in combat or training, log the directions you give and submit.

2L5: (solo) Visit an allied sim and request a task, or offer assistance with defense or training. Log the results and submit.

2L6: (solo) Spend one hour on defense in your home sim where at some point during that hour an attack occurs. Log times and submit.

2L7: (solo) Write a detailed report on step 2L6 recording all events regardless of significance and submit.

2L8: (experience) Attend one group meeting, only log date of meeting and submit.

2L9: (experience) Attend one group raid, only log date of raid and submit.

2L10: await approval by mastery board, receive unlock.

An example of ML3:

3L0: (solo) Write a letter to your CO, detailing one aspect of your group's structure that you'd change and how, can be how training is conducted, how often, how devisions are split and labled, any aspect. Log and submit.

3L1: (solo) score 100 points on a shooting range (list the sims with the specific range in mind) on normal. Screenshot scores and submit.

3L2: (2+) Compliment one enemy on a sucessfull shot/attack/tactic/effort in IMs. Log and submit.

3L3: (experience) attend one group training exercise, only log date of training and submit.

3L4: (solo) Write a situational strategy or plan of attack against an enemy sim using 5 theoretical members on either side. Describe where each member will move, what weapons to use, and their plans. Submit.

3L5: (solo) Stand in defense of an allied sim for one hour, log times, sim defending, and allied members onsim at the time then submit.

3L6: (solo) Spend one hour on defense of your home sim while your group members are on a raid. Log times and submit.

3L7: (solo) Write a detailed report on step 3L6 recording all events regardless of significance and submit.

3L8: (experience) Attend one group meeting, only log date of meeting and submit.

3L9: (experience) Attend one group raid, only log date of raid and submit.

3L10: await approval by mastery board, receive unlock.

An example of ML4:

4L0: (solo) Write a short story describing an imaginary battle where you use one of your mastery weapons. Log and submit.

4L1: (solo) score 150 points on a shooting range (list the sims with the specific range in mind) on normal. Screenshot scores and submit.

4L2: (solo) Write from the perspective of your enemy, devise a tactic in reference to a prior attack, detailing what they could have done better to break through your defenses. Submit.

4L3: (group) Hold a training exercise or lead a team within a training exercise with your group. Log results and submit.

4L4: (group) Attend one training exercise or assault using only a single fire sidearm where weaponry is not limited solely to a single fire sidearm. Screenshot and submit.

4L5: (2+) Teach a member or members of your group, or of an allied group, a tactic , technique, or helpful function of sl. Anything you've picked up along the way, from how to turn on the advanced menu, to how to turn on beacons, to how to use havoc 4 to boost jump. Log and submit.

4L6: (solo) Recall an argument or altercation in either sl or rl. Write a short summary of the situation, then write one paragraph from either side's perspective proving why both sides could be right, then a 3rd paragraph explaining your view and opinion. Submit.

4L7: (solo) Get one of your allies' perspectives on your group. Summarize the conversation, log and submit.

4L8: (solo) Get one of your enemies' perspectives on your group. Summarize the conversation, log and submit.

4L9: (group) Attend a group attack or defense, suggest a plan of attack, defense, or tactic. Log and submit.

4L10: await approval by mastery board, receive unlock.

An example of ML5:

5L0: (solo) Write a detailed description of a moment in combat where you used one of your ML weapons or abilities sucessfully, Log and submit.

5L1: (solo) score 100 points on a shooting range (list the sims with the specific range in mind) on hard. Screenshot scores and submit.

5L2: (solo) Use google to look up how to create gun scripts. Create your own gun using these scripts. Use the gun you've made to score 50 or better at a shooting range on any mode. Your gun can be an untextured cube that fires untextured cubes. Screenshot scores and submit with the gun you've created with full perms scripts.

5L3: (solo) Use google to look up a free video capture program such as fraps. Write a brief description of the program and include a link to the program's download and submit.

5L4: (solo) Use google to look up a voice client such as ventrillo or team speak. Write a brief description of the program and include a link to the program's download (this includes sl voice) and submit.

5L5: (solo +) Write a brief description of what Avatar Rendering Cost is. If you do not know, ask around or use google to find the answer. Submit your findings.

5L6: (solo) Find a way to lower your avatar rendering cost. Log what you did to lower it and the number change. Submit findings.

5L7: (Group) Attend one training exercise, assault, or defense with an Avatar Rendering Cost of 3000 or less. Screenshot and submit. (for groups whos base armor excedes 3000 see a member of the review board for a more fitting number)

5L8: (solo+) create a 20 meter wall then use a prim positioned infront of the wall to boost jump over the top. Have someone screenshot your feat midair, or take a screenshot of yourself from the top clearing the wall. Submit.

5L9: (group) While in combat get a screenshot of yourself standing in an enemy base or outpost. In the event that these areas are offlimits, get a screenshot of yourself standing in the assault's objective point. The objective point may not be the spawn. Submit.

5L10: await approval by mastery board, receive unlock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All submissions must be completed in English, in an event where the participant's primary language is -not- english, you may translate all documents to the best of your ability using www.freetranslation.com

Todas sumisiones deben ser completadas en ingl

I just have visions of a year from now people saying things like "yeah mercz has more members than us, but we have 6 ml10 snipers and 3 ml10 warlords. They have 2 snipers and 1 warlord.

Or watch a group of 2 attackers come in late at night just expecting some random noobs, realizing they are ml 8 and 10, and sudenly we know were not up against random noobs.

I could also make a group for it, where the tags are based off your ML rank, tho i'm sure it'd get abused :P

It sounds bloated, over complicated and to be honest far too much hassle and work to implement and develop. It would take a large group of people to even do the administration, if you factor in every active member having a record of this nature for acheiving the tasks set out.

I can see how awesome it would be once it was all done however, you would never get every military using it, and another massive concern would be yet more seperation on people based on not only skill levels but also the time it takes to achieve any of this.

I remain a strong believer that a machine is only as good as its weakest part and im not sure having more and more gear to be doled out to 'the best' would do anything to improve skill levels.

To be blunt, this is Second Life, not World of Warcraft. We dont need a levelling system or phat loot. Recognition from a senior officer of ones skills should be enough to encourage people to try harder, the possibility of recieiving merits or ranks for that is also an incentive to achieve ones best.

Not that its not a good idea on paper, it really is, but It would have no practical application in my eyes.

It sounds bloated, over complicated and to be honest far too much hassle and work to implement and develop. It would take a large group of people to even do the administration, if you factor in every active member having a record of this nature for acheiving the tasks set out.

I can see how awesome it would be once it was all done however, you would never get every military using it, and another massive concern would be yet more seperation on people based on not only skill levels but also the time it takes to achieve any of this.

I remain a strong believer that a machine is only as good as its weakest part and im not sure having more and more gear to be doled out to 'the best' would do anything to improve skill levels.

To be blunt, this is Second Life, not World of Warcraft. We dont need a levelling system or phat loot. Recognition from a senior officer of ones skills should be enough to encourage people to try harder, the possibility of recieiving merits or ranks for that is also an incentive to achieve ones best.

Not that its not a good idea on paper, it really is, but It would have no practical application in my eyes.

Actually 1 person could easily manage all of it, since there will be a standard format to submit information in. I can import it all into a database, filter it, if i had 1000 a day i could do it during lunch break.

Just because theres alot of text doesnt mean its overcomplicated. If broken down into steps, as it is, its extremely simple.

As for a machine being as fast as its slowest part yes, ofcorse, but we arent machines. Im pretty sure our last raid was not effected whatsoever by the 4 or 5 members that havent been around in the past month.

No not all militaries will adapt this, for those house rules will still apply, but for the few that do accept this it adds a new element of fun.

Also, its nothing like wow, i hate wow asmuch as anyoen else. Its merely something fixed that everyone can work towards. Idleness is eating away at the community, people need something to do.

For those who only read megaprim laser and make up their mind, keep in mind the tasks to achieve that will not only require a specific character, the actual amount of time, effort, and necessary pull in their respective groups will weed out anyone who just wants it to be an ass.

And whats to stop half the stuff you develop being banned by other sims, or like so much stuff we -already have-, never being used and gathering dust due to being overwhelmingly powerful?

I'm really not sold on this idea. If you do implement it, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

And whats to stop half the stuff you develop being banned by other sims, or like so much stuff we -already have-, never being used and gathering dust due to being overwhelmingly powerful?

I'm really not sold on this idea. If you do implement it, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Other sims most probably will ban the equipment, so be it, its completely optional. Its not replacing any group's standard gear. and im sure it will gather dust eventually, all of any militaries weapons will. Its a novelty. Take the uchi cats for example. People were told hey theres a sim where you can get a free avatar, you just have to run around and find one. Their sim was full for 2 days straight. More than half the people i know that foudn them arent wearing them, they just want something new and shiney, and if this does that it gives people something to do. Ontop of all that it trains them int he process, it builds relationships between allies and enemies alike.

It's a novel and well thought out idea, but I personally dislike the concept. From the looks of it you spent an extensive amount of time thinking this out, but I simply don't see this being feasible, worth the effort, or enjoyable on a personal level. One of the reasons I love SL military life is that its all very practical; you don't do quests to get some cool title like "Waffle Rouge Master Slayer of Dragons"; it's much more direct and simple. And yes, pretty much anything out of the ordinary would be complained about and banned from all practical situations.

This might work if this system were in a closed, centralized military RP system. However, for the SL military community, it just simply doesn't fit with how combat and military life is conducted. To be blunt, it's a whole lot of busy work for an array of relatively small rewards, which is why I don't play World of Warcraft or other MMOs instead of Second Life to begin with.

However, I don't think all of this work should go to waste; what I DO think is feasible would be to incorporate a similar system into our developing Academy system. What I would suggest is that perhaps such unlockable equipment could be accessed through special training sessions or "schools" in Academy. However, I think such a system would have to be much more practical. Creating huge lists of busywork for people to do is in my opinion an incredibly inefficient waste of manpower resources. You can argue that people will better themselves in the process; however, if this is the end goal I think there are certainly more efficient ways of achieving this. I hate to sound like someone simply resisting change for the sake of continuance, but this system in my opinion simply does not mesh with how SL military culture operates.

Simply seeing the huge amount of work you put into this, I want these ideas applied to something. I think a simplified version based solely on direct and practical achievements could work (just look at the Mercz BP system, as an example). However, I am personally very much against implementing this in the form you've proposed.

I think there's something cool to this. I'm not sure that I'm in favor of it exactly as presented (for a lot of reasons, not the least of which I'm not generally in favor of anything showy as it can cause friction, some of the gear might be a lot of time investment, and the example requirements might not be the best for those who are more combat-oriented than anything) but I think as a basic idea... with gear unlocks being based on knowledge/experience and performance... it's interesting for sure.

Lots of alternating gear that all does the same thing anyway. If we were in such a realm where varied roles could be well-established and utilized (snipers, etc), it would certainly be feasible. But its just an additional class system that we're already barely handling in ranks, alpha squads, wings, octets, etc.

I agree with Scientific, it doesnt suit the SL Combat community. Yes, it would be usefull in different circumstances. Considering the fact some of us have things such as 5L9, it loses its 'new' feeling, like if you started a new game. Saying this, I highly doubt many militaries will accept this, because well.. thats why we have merits and ranks.

It's a novel and well thought out idea, but I personally dislike the concept. From the looks of it you spent an extensive amount of time thinking this out, but I simply don't see this being feasible, worth the effort, or enjoyable on a personal level. One of the reasons I love SL military life is that its all very practical; you don't do quests to get some cool title like "Waffle Rouge Master Slayer of Dragons"; it's much more direct and simple. And yes, pretty much anything out of the ordinary would be complained about and banned from all practical situations.

This might work if this system were in a closed, centralized military RP system. However, for the SL military community, it just simply doesn't fit with how combat and military life is conducted. To be blunt, it's a whole lot of busy work for an array of relatively small rewards, which is why I don't play World of Warcraft or other MMOs instead of Second Life to begin with.

However, I don't think all of this work should go to waste; what I DO think is feasible would be to incorporate a similar system into our developing Academy system. What I would suggest is that perhaps such unlockable equipment could be accessed through special training sessions or "schools" in Academy. However, I think such a system would have to be much more practical. Creating huge lists of busywork for people to do is in my opinion an incredibly inefficient waste of manpower resources. You can argue that people will better themselves in the process; however, if this is the end goal I think there are certainly more efficient ways of achieving this. I hate to sound like someone simply resisting change for the sake of continuance, but this system in my opinion simply does not mesh with how SL military culture operates.

Simply seeing the huge amount of work you put into this, I want these ideas applied to something. I think a simplified version based solely on direct and practical achievements could work (just look at the Mercz BP system, as an example). However, I am personally very much against implementing this in the form you've proposed.

WAFFLE ROUGE MASTER SLAYER OF DRAGONS.

Lol'd.

I really cant add much to whats been said already Kytec, the idea is neat and interesting, but the whole concept is overloaded with information. Having to explain this in Schola to new recruits will be an extremely difficult task not to mention how im having a hard time just keeping it all organized in my head

Good idea, but way too much to deal with, besides i think we have a fine enough system standing here, but do'nt give up hope on this. If you can cut it down to a more understanding level, i might use this for a future sim of my own

A stripped down,and simplified version could be usable in an academy training people on the usage of various weapons. Like the heavy weapon academy, where the more powerful and unusual nature of the weapons involved would make sense to use a tiered level system to ascertain some sort of mastery.

The Academies strive for straight forward, pragmatic sorts of training. Concepts and ideas anyone can pick up, understand, and then develop further on the field.