Clicky

Esichs Sonnerstein

Best Book You Have Ever Read

I'm a big book fanattic. Between the internet and movies I love reading a good book. My problem is is that I can never find one i like any more, so its very rare I actualy DO curl up with a good one. Beside the point of my personal problems involving the written word, I want to know what every one else thinks is the best book, the weirdest book, or just the most recent book they've read.

For me?

Lost in Translation: Good book. Centers around a human and an alien and how they have to overcome the bloody differences between their two races for the greater good of the whole.

You Suck: continued story about a fledgling vampire and her minion/boyfriend living in San Fransisco. Written by Christopher Moore. A bit raunchy and unorthadox at times, but an other wise entertaining and some what original take on a vampire living in an urban environment. Sequel to Blood Sucking Fiends.

Acorna: the Unicorn Girl, Acorna's Quest, Acorna's People, Acorna's World: I've only read the first four in what has other wise been an aboslute pleasure of a joy ride through the life and adventures of a young alien girl raised and growing up around humans. I really love aci-fi/adventure I really cant put this series into words to do it justice. If you're looking for a well written series to give you our next fix, I really do recommend this one.

Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary I, II, and II: To be PACIFIC, I NEVADA better set of dictionaries. Aint a MANNEQUIN pen it like Foxworthy.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Wars series: All about the most Bad Ass bounty hunter in the galaxy. How he survived the Sarlacc and what went down afterward.

Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy.

The elite multinational anti-terrorism paramilitary force, codenamed "Rainbow", is deployed in multiple operations across the globe. Upon discovering a trend in each terrorist operation, their own intelligence branch begins an investigation that eventually uncovers a larger plan that is already in motion, and they must act fast to put it down before thousands of people's lives are threatened.

Yes, I read it before I played the game. And yes, the first game is based on the novel. And yes, the book was amazing.

The Game by Neil Strauss, aka Style, writer for Rolling Stone and master pickup artist. It's a fascinating tale of the journey of two men into the deceptively deep art and science of getting laid. In doing so, they learn a lot about psychology, social dynamics, and human nature (specifically pertaining to the relationship between the sexes). I found it an enthralling read, and I don't even like girls.

In general descending order:

Apology, Plato, found in Four Texts on Socrates, trans and ed by West and West, Cornell Press.

Republic, Plato, trans. Allan Bloom, Basic Books. (Especially Book 1 and 2).

Symposium, Plato, trans. by Seth Benardete, Univ. of Chicago Press.

The Clouds, Aristophanes, found in Four Texts, see above. (Pretty much anything from Aristophanes, especially if you cotton to fart jokes.)

(grudgingly) The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli, trans. Harvey C. Mansfield, Univ of Chicago Press, 2ed. (The de Alvarez translation is more literal and perhaps yields more, but it can be stilted to some.)

The Education of Cyrus, Xenophon, trans. Wayne Ambler, Cornell

Hamlet, Shakespeare

The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald

The Moviegoer, Walker Percy

Elementary Particles, Michel Houellebecq (this will turn your stomach)

Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstract, Bill James

James and Neyer's Pitching Handbook, James and Neyer

I've heard that name alot recently. I may have to check out Ayn Rand. Really philosophical?

Also, I just yesterday finished Star Wars: Allegiance. Loved it. With the same passion I loved Bounty Hunter Wars. I love the books that don't focus so much on the Jedi and the Force. Freaking love Timothy Zhan.

Edited by Esichs Sonnerstein