Clicky

Kristian

Mercz Suck

I felt like addressing this problem not for any particular reason but because of an overall attitude people have these days. My problem concerns respect. There have been several articles about this on the forum and the Iron symphony Doctrine could pretty much be summarized to that single word.

You are all member of what I consider to be the best group in second life. What makes this group so great? What makes this group so popular that me and my fellow recruiters spend hours each day dealing with applications from people that seek a career in Ordo. Why did these people decide to attempt to join Ordo instead of any other group? Some left their old groups just for the little chance of getting accepted in Ordo, even tho they had their friends, rank and respect there.

I like to believe that the answer is professionalism , maturity , respect and discipline. Ordo selects what we consider the best of the best.

I agree with you Kristian, people have talked to me off sim and always go "OMG your in ordo? i want in" and even a few applicants who have spoken with me always say that ordo was their first choice (exactly how you put it, they find other SL militaries inferior.)

I went to Ordo because MikeMurdock was an officer here, so i wanted to be with him, if i hadn't been introduce here i probably may have joined Mercz or 39th or maybe one of the many other militaries. Honestly i don't consider them inferior, they just do things differently then we do, I've been to the Mercz base, and i frankly find some of their methods to actually be interesting and i wouldn't have minded joining them. The sad thing is too many people see us as the cream of the crop and use us as the "best SL military" example.

Whenever people ask me about joining militaries, indeed i say ordo, but i always make mention saying that the Mercz, or the EU or the Alliance Navy are all good choices, sadly few ever listen to anything after "Ordo"

What about people who use to attack them? Or... People who use to be there? You seem to forget not every ordo member doesn't know what its like to be against them or previously with them. Also there is a difference in just disrespecting because you dont like how their military works. What if people don't think their higher command takes charge enough. Plenty of bullshit has come out of the mercz for people who have never been opposed to them, make them dislike the mercz. Not even just the mercz, i'm sure alot of have lost respect for other allies due to recent drama. I've been against and with the mercz. The funny thing is so much crap has come out of the mouths from their officers to make helping them difficult to make me dislike alot of them. Though, i do like alot of the mercz because they are nice people who are just trying to have some fun. Hating a military as a whole is pure childish. Disliking people within a military because of their actions or personality is not. So before you make a post on respect and disrespect take some situations into account. Not everyone dislikes them because they work differently and the day you try to limit how people feel about another just because they're in an allied army is the day Aryte has to let takkun onto ordo vent and titan.

This is a refresher, we really needed a post like this Kristian. I can't say that I have witnessed an increase (or a decrease) in the number of "Mercz suck" instances over the course of the past few months, but I can say it's definitely present within our organization (to a few individuals). Just to reiterate: Respect each to their own. Just because someone doesn't like the practices that another organization wields doesn't mean said military is forfeit their respect. All Ordo should unquestionably remain above the antics and simply rejoice the Ordo's long-time brother in arms and comrade.

I'm not going to spew blind criticisms against enemies or allies, but as you noted we are adults, not teenagers. The way I see it is that no one is above criticism, and it's fine to speak your opinion, so long as it's done in a mature and constructive fashion. Unfortunately it seems many individuals are incapable of doing so.

Saying "Mercz suck" is a moronic thing to say, just as it would be moronic to say anything along those lines about any military on the grid in such an immature and unjustified manner. However, respect does not equate to blind praise, nor does it equate to silence. Saying things such as "I wish CATI would use guns with less bouncy bullets" or "CS's use of mines seems a bit overboard" is fine. Being tolerant of other ideologies does not mean one must never point out what one believes to be areas for improvement. In my opinion, it's moreover a casual disregard for restraint and lack of respect which turns healthy criticism into outright insult.

As one recent example, I was in Badnarik last weekend chatting with Takkun. While Takkun has in the past openly expressed disapproval for the actions of Ordo (in both respectful and non-respectful manners), he handled a part of the conversation we had with what I see as a perfectly acceptable example of how to express opinion when it is not always positive. After showing him the "raid board" we use, he remarked that "I don't usually like what Ordo does, but that's cool." I'm fine with that. He's free to hold any opinion of Ordo and what we do, what's more important to me is the manner in which he expresses it. In this instance, he did so with tact, and I respect that.

Not everyone has the maturity to always speak in this manner, and sometimes people should just keep their mouths shut. If you give an opinion in a clumsy or disrespectful manner, you're not just making yourself look bad, you're making everyone look bad. When you speak, you must always remember that in the eyes of others you speak for the Ordo. Act accordingly.