Clicky

Lestat Umarov

Imperial Edict - 8/3/2009

>>> The Ordo Imperialis

>>> Imperial Edict

>>> August 3rd, 2009

by: Legates Lestat Umarov

<---------------------------------------------[Extend to this length]------------------------------------------------>

In the length of my service with the Ordo I have been in situations which required action for a number of issues. Some issues I am more than happy to address, such as the induction of a newly appointed officer, or passing a benchmark in a set list of goals. Other issues however, as equally important as they may be, bring me great disappointment and force me to use my appointed authority in a manner which is not as all pleasant for either party's. It is important that every member, from Officer to Enlisted take heed.

I have been told that the standards have dropped, that our officer corp is afraid to discipline or correct those who are in the wrong. These statements are incorrect. Those who have a disregard for the rules, or a lack or respect for my officer corp will see the error of there ways quite soon. There is no excuse for insubordination, or ignorance to the rules in even the slightest regard. I expect all Ordo members to be knowledgeable of the Ordo regulations. This means reading the handbook, repeatedly if necessary until you understand it fully. Repeated infractions of the rules will be dealt with, and depending on the level of severity this could be anything from a slap on the wrist to an ejection from the group.

What this means is that if an officer tell you "Get behind the wall." I don't want to hear. "Why so mean? D:" It better be a "Yes sir/ma'am." On an officers approach you are required to salute and refer to them not by there name, but As Sir/Ma'am. This is especially relevant over Com's and in front of cadets. If you make a bad impression to a new member you're given them a pretty poor first look at the group. I also don't want to see any more gesture spam (which has gotten very bad lately), random music, unauthorized vehicles or weapons, or unreasonable requests to the OIC.(Such as asking to drive a tank over an unarmed civilian approaching.)

Do not mistake kindness for weakness. While I may be one of the more laid back officers in the Ordo in terms of approachability, I have had people demoted and even in extreme cases ejected from the group. I have a zero tolerance policy for insubordination. If you disrespect an officer or NCO who is trying to correct you or give you instruction I will not lose sleep over taking your hard earned rank from you. I've consulted with the High Council on these issues and we have come to an agreement that changes must be made. Division heads will work with there officer corp and from there it will be passed down to NCOs to make sure the standards are enforced and upheld.

In closing. This is your opportunity to get in line with the rest of the group. There will be no further leniency or second chances. I won't be pointing any fingers but you'll know if this applies to you. If it doesn't, then carry on and keep up the good work.

Glory to the Imperium. Pro patria.

So, on calling someone sir/ma'am. Often times, i'll approach someone like Keller on the wall and start a casual conversation. Sometimes I forget to salute, and we both carry on, mostly because neither of us really thought about it. Granted if I were to step up on that a bit, and assure that I did salute. Would I not be able to use first name basis?

FWIW, once I've begun a working relationship with someone, I don't really expect to be saluted and "sir" is just off the hook. But there are exceptions:

If you're fresh outta Schola.

If a cadet or new member is within chat range.

If I don't know you.

If I'm calling you to me in a formal manner/you are in trouble.

Simply obeying orders to me is a sign enough of respect. Taking it up if it's a problem is respect enough. Servility kinda creeps me out.

i have to agree with lestat here... there have been a fair few instances already where an enlisted personnel is in the process of being warned or disciplined by an officer and gives that sort of "why so mean" reaction... in short, start bucking up... we may consider each other family but its stuff like this that damages our professional image... theres nothing wrong with being a little informal when both parties feel like it, but you MUST keep in mind you still need to act professional and follow all the rules...

Division heads will work with there officer corp and from there it will be passed down to NCOs to make sure the standards are enforced and upheld.

I believe this issue has been brought up before- NCOs can only give reminders, not directly enforce conduct, even in extreme cases. Generaly the only time a NCO has power to say "Stop that, do this, or else." and have authority is if they're NCOIC. Direct enforcement otherwise goes to the Officer Cadre. Am I right?

Edited by Desereck Creeggan

I think it's better to salute as a standard, instead of wondering if you should've. :] If everyone is used to people saluting in greeting you won't ever have to worry if it's okay or not.

I'm also not going to be using gestures anymore, as 'enhancing' as they can be on a conversation (which isn't a whole lot) I know there are some people who start gesture chains upon hearing one, so better safe than sorry. All in all I think it's important to keep a certain atmosphere on base, or I start to feel like I'm back in the sandbox- and then I start feeling like I have to be in admin mode.. which is one reason I come to Titan- to get away from that stuff.

On NCO authority:

[18:47] Aryte Vesperia: On authority, two concerns come to mind.

[18:47] Aryte Vesperia: First, officer authority doesn’t seem to be exercised as extensively or as strictly as it should be. To remedy that, I am laying out the expectation that officers personally report to me any incidents of out-of-line conduct during their watch, detailing the event and how it was resolved. Failure to report will count against officers.

[18:48] Aryte Vesperia: Secondly, NCO authority still does not seem to be understood. Eventually an NCO academy will remedy that for good. In the mean time, let me reinforce the idea behind NCOs: unless enumerated expressly by an officer, or by a certain position (such as the Schola vice commandant currently; Zero Itamae), an NCO does not have direct policy command authority.

[18:50] Aryte Vesperia: They may, however, enforce policy by pointing out error, and, if necessary, issuing a reprimand for the standing officer in command (or in the chain of command). NCO issuing an order must be within the realm of their authority, whereas an officer has the ability to /create/ policy.

[18:51] Aryte Vesperia: For example, let’s assume that Sosarin Demar enacts the expectation that all of his pilot cadets are to wear purple hats. Most of Sosarin’s air training is handled by NCOs—as such, an NCO within that realm now has the authority to ensure their cadets wear purple hats.

[18:51] Aryte Vesperia: During the defense, an NCO (outside of the SOG), has authority revolved around enforcing the orders of the OIC. For example. OIC Zrazor orders that the southern ridge be covered—an NCO should step up and make that happen.

[18:52] Aryte Vesperia: I know you guys are all capable of this, and I know no one is purposely doing it. But now you know!

[18:52] Aryte Vesperia: . . and knowing is half the battle!

For the record, terror and servility are always a good approach when talking with me. Just as a starting point. I don't care if you're an e-7 or a w-1, if you don't have a common working basis with me, or know me in some way personally (As in, know my actual name, have hung out with me off of base, etc.) then you should be addressing me by rank/title, saluting, and respond with "sir, yes sir".

In return, when you salute, I salute back, when you refer to me in a formal manner, I will generally do so as well, and we're all respectful, professional, and keep in mind our place with in the great machine that is the Ordo.

DISMISSED.