Bargo Tomsen

Ordo Meeting - 24APR10

~ORDO IMPERIALIS~

OFFICIAL DOCUMENT

<=====================Extend to this length=========================>

<===========================================================>

**********Meeting Report**********

Name/Rank/Division: Bargo Tomsen / E-2 Discens / Astra

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE: 24APR10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUBJECT: Imperator's weekly meeting.

SUMMARY:

Weekly meeting for all Ordo personnel.

============================================================

CHAT LOG:

|Meeting Opener|

[18:03:13] Aryte Vesperia shouts: Good evening everyone. As a reminder, be certain to hold questions or comments until provided the opportunity to speak. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the meeting. When you are provided a chance to speak, be sure to shout your message. Our recorder is centrally located, so she may not hear you otherwise.

|Imperator’s Report|

[18:04:27] Aryte Vesperia: To begin, this week’s statistics:

Members: 295

Cadets: 12

Applications:

New: 10

Accepted: 2

Denied: 5

In review: 3

Combat:

Offensives: 10

Defensives: 94

[18:05:13] Aryte Vesperia: Diplomatic occurrences this week have followed the trend of the past several reports: fairly quiet. One notable comment to make is that 2142 and the Ordo have reached a sort of quiet agreement to give some forethought / heads up before combat maneuvers. Although it will not encompass every battle situation, LordBob Boa and I have agreed to provide a heads up to one another when applicable. This comes out of respect for one another’s organizations and with the intent to maintain strong relationships.

|Divisional Reports|

[18:05:52] Aryte Vesperia: Unit reports this evening?

-Terra-

[18:05:55] Lestat Umarov raises hand

[18:05:58] Aryte Vesperia: Mr. Umarov.

[18:06:07] Lestat Umarov shouts: Relatively quiet week for Terra. Combat has occured per the norm in the form of base defense and raids, which I myself took part in a few. Aside from that a couple vacancies were filled and we gained a few new members. Now, moving on to unit reports.

[18:06:17] Lestat Umarov shouts: From Keller for Invictus: "A relatively quiet week from Invictus, but continued impressive results as part of raids and other efforts on behalf of the Ordo. Still having a couple vacancies, and keeping an eye out for candidates."

[18:06:26] Lestat Umarov shouts: From Desereck for Antesignani: "Since finals for most of everyone in school are coming up, activity in Antesignani is projected to be low and we're hoping to see everyone back to full activity once school is over. No trainings held this week due to the lack of activity. "

[18:06:35] Lestat Umarov shouts: From Zrazor for Insidiae: "The Mk.14 SMG is nearing completion and I expect it to be ready to release to the squad within the upcoming week. We're also welcoming Zabimato Outlander, who has recently transferred over to Terra, to the squad as its newest member. Maza Rau is developing some new training scenarios to work with that we'll hopefully be able to impliment in the near future. Beyond that, nothing new to report."

[18:06:44] Lestat Umarov shouts: From Genesis for Cohors B: "This week has been good for B with the welcoming of Arokh as the new BIII Century Leader. With another Month coming to a close after the next week I would assume to see activities dropping next week then multiplying back up the week after with finals now on us and summer to follow! Not to mention a new month brings more PRFs."

[18:07:16] Lestat Umarov shouts: That cloncludes my report for Terra. Any additional reports may be given at the discretion of the Imperator.

[18:07:44] Aryte Vesperia: Thank you, Mr. Umarov. Next?

-Astra-

[18:07:45] Sosarin Demar raises his hand.

[18:08:08] Aryte Vesperia: Mr. Demar, for Astra.

[18:08:11] Sosarin Demar: Combat activities continue as normal. On top of that, training persists. Queue is relatively clear, but we have one new addition that needs tending -- we welcome you, Heinrich Burnstein. For those of you who require Thanatos training, please contact Heather McKay. Any other concerns or needs, please leave me a message. As a reminder, don't hestitate to prod my shoulder if something is found wanting. Next week I hope to see continued effort on part of flight training. That concludes this week's report for Astra.

[18:08:42] Aryte Vesperia: Thank you, Mr. Demar.

-Praetorian Guard-

No reports--

-Tactica-

No reports--

|Old Business|

[18:09:39] Aryte Vesperia: Very good. Thank you for the reports this evening. Moving on. Any old business to bring up this evening?

|Keynote Topics|

[18:10:59] Aryte Vesperia: Very good. On to the keynote, then. Unless . . someone said yes and I just didn't get it while lagging.

[18:11:39] Aryte Vesperia: All right. A bit to cover this evening before I turn over the floor to anyone interested.

[18:12:09] Aryte Vesperia: First up, I have some maintenance comments to make in regards to Ordo operations. Notably, over the next week I will be relatively . . . scarcer. The time will be utilized to write my final paper and finish up last assignments. I am finished with school come the 1st of May—simply; I have a pretty scary research piece to overcome before then.

[18:13:00] Aryte Vesperia: I will attempt to keep up with day to day activities, such as raids. However, if time becomes an issue I will likely have to delegate that out and hope for the best. Please pardon my absences ahead of time, I will certainly make up for any slow down come May and beyond.

[18:13:31] Aryte Vesperia: This includes several areas that still require my attention: the armor qualifications, merit additions, and honor titles. All still on the table. Just, all still on a backburner as I fight to ensure a happy ending to my university career. Heh!

[18:14:14] Aryte Vesperia: To be certain, I am particularly excited for summer and the time allowances that will come with it. I have no doubts that it will be an immensely productive time for the group. I look forward to spending it with you all. So, thank you for your patience.

[18:16:14] Aryte Vesperia: Now, for my primary discussion this evening I propose a bit of a question. It is something that has, honestly, always intrigued me. At this point, I have . . . going on five years of experience of military community here in Second Life. I have seen an innumerable amount of groups collapse and die. Now, at a fairly meta level, it is understood that the longevity of a group has a good amount to do with the composition of it—the members. In this case, people like you all. Without you and me, the Ordo would be another failed name.

[18:17:58] Aryte Vesperia: But beyond that, at the individual, micro sort of level of observation . . . I ask, why does someone choose to stay with a group? What makes you all willing to devote time and energy into a military organization? Why is what we are doing more successful than . . . well, another group? It’s fascinating to try to rationalize: what do you get out of it?

[18:19:48] Aryte Vesperia: You see, when you enter a group—we’ll use the Ordo for example—you sort of partake within a social contract. You give your time and you subject to a set of standards with the expectation of receiving something back. You are adding to a giant social pot, in which everyone’s individual contribution is supplying back a product that is . . . or, apparently is appealing.

[18:20:31] Kytec Switchblade: Comradery, the feel of Combat Superiority thru organization, the feeling of purpose and belonging.

[18:21:44] Aryte Vesperia: The basic, physical element to it comes to mind first. As a member, you get “stuff.” Monetarily, free “stuff.” Although yes, a time investment goes into the acquisition of said “stuff,” there is no Linden expense to it. However, I do not entertain the notion that “stuff” is really the underlying reason—I imagine it probably plays more of a key element in the acquisition of members, with some effect on retention.

[18:23:17] Aryte Vesperia: I base this upon the experiences we had in the ANII and VC: our “stuff” was not exactly what I would consider impressive. Other groups most certainly had much cooler “stuff” than we did—however; several of those groups have since waned and fallen by the wayside, whereas we have prevailed. Furthermore, I point to our stringent recruitment policies and training regime. Comparably, someone could easily get “stuff” from other . . . more lenient groups, if their motivation was simply acquisition of gear. Not to name any names, but there are certainly a group or two out there that have fairly eye catching gear sets that . . . well, you could get within ten minutes of applying.

[18:24:26] Aryte Vesperia: If it isn’t the material goods (not to say there couldn’t be some tethering to this—again, I would expect there to be /some/ investment into the value of a group’s ‘stuff’), what does that leave the individual? Well.

[18:25:20] Aryte Vesperia: The combat activity, perhaps? No . . . I really don’t believe, rationally, a group’s combat activity is a huge contributor to the attraction. Consciously, maybe. But when you break it down: think about it. As mentioned, when you enter a group, you are contracting to the expectations of that group. Our expectations are controlled, limited combat functions. You must adhere to the Ordo’s regulations, including limitation and constraint of when combat is permissible. For example . . . you cannot simply go attack another enemy without clearance. So, feasibly, your potential combat activity is being restricted.

[18:26:23] Aryte Vesperia: Certainly, the argument can be made that combat activity in a team function is appealing enough to override the aforementioned restriction. But, that is where my belief lies. The team element.

[18:27:59] Aryte Vesperia: I believe that an individual, above all else, will stay with an organization based upon the camaraderie that is provided. There is inherent value to that: you and I, and everyone else in this room, are all accepting the same social contract, with the same expectations, with the same goal. As such, we are all producing and putting effort forth under the intent of camaraderie. For example . . . it isn’t really the battle (although, combat can certainly be entertaining), it’s the underlying sense of fighting together, against another. It is the thrill and opportunity to be able to contribute. It is the binding strength of professional and more personal relationship.

[18:30:07] Aryte Vesperia: As such, it becomes clear to me that there is a necessity to be very cautious and observant as to the quality of our continuity and sense of purpose. The group is only as strong as the relationships between members, whom accept and adhere to governance. What this comes down to is a sense of realization that although our socialization process tends to weed out individuals who would otherwise be damaging to the cohesion, on occasion, longer lasting parties become engrained within the group’s fabric . . . who could potentially be an aversion to our norms.

[18:32:17] Aryte Vesperia: In cases like that, the separation becomes a pair of questions. Is an individual willing to conform and continue contribution to the camaraderie? Or, will an individual put themselves on the path to being weeded out? Those with the commitment and the courage are able to recognize the necessity for change—but unless the contract is seen as one that is profitable, the individual is likely on the latter road toward the door.

[18:34:48] Aryte Vesperia: I would fancy myself something of a realist. I know that, right now, there are individuals in this room who will likely choose that road and will not be with us in the future. It’s simply a matter of statistics and probability. As a leader, it is always a bit difficult for me to watch people sink themselves. But it happens.

[18:36:47] Aryte Vesperia: The heartening part, however, is knowing that the atmosphere of the Ordo is one that is contrary to that road. The majority will not choose to weed themselves out. Many do and will take the route of continuing their camaraderie, regardless of personal convictions to items that would otherwise be aversions.

[18:38:27] Aryte Vesperia: My hope, however, is by pointing out this separation and . . . well, my hypothesis on group membership, that those teetering on the fence will be able to make a conscious choice. Sink, or swim.

[18:38:33] Aryte Vesperia: Questions, comments?

[18:38:56] Teron Gray raises hand

[18:39:02] Aryte Vesperia: Mr. Gray.

[18:39:22] Teron Gray: I know, for my personal perspective, it could be said it is the 'Greater Good' situation. Ordo really is greater the sum of it's parts, yes I concur that there is the team element factor. We all are skilled in our own way and contrinbute either on the battlefield, at the desk, or hashing together prims. But moreso, I feel, we are a family; we all look after eachother, we come together not just in SL but strive to meet up such as at preestablished cons or even simple weekend gatherings of relative local members. The Ordo really is different, and it has become so much more then what it set out to be that none of us want to see it come to an end; this is why we keep with it, and will continue to do so into the unforseeable future. I know for certain I'll be here.

[18:40:18] Aryte Vesperia: Thank you for your comment, and thank you.

[18:41:01] Aryte Vesperia: Anyone else?

[18:41:36] WolfShaman Warrior is working on a notecard.

|Open Discussion|

[18:43:05] Aryte Vesperia: Open floor, then. Topics?

[18:43:38] Lestat Umarov raises hand

[18:43:42] Aryte Vesperia: Mr. Umarov.

[18:44:00] Lestat Umarov: Was curious about the uniform you're wearing. Didn't really hear much about it.

[18:44:54] Aryte Vesperia: I haven't honestly decided. Currently I will just wear it around and look special.

[18:45:28] Lestat Umarov nods

[18:45:41] Lestat Umarov whispers: Commissar Outfit

[18:45:48] Aryte Vesperia: Annnything else?

|Promotions|

[18:47:48] Aryte Vesperia: Very good then. I will have promotions/ PRFs posted tomorrow at the latest. I'd have them now. But. I CAN'T OPEN NOTECARDS OR WEBPAGES BECAUSE I AM LAGGING.

|Meeting Closer|

[18:48:19] Aryte Vesperia: So. Good meeting and thank you. . hey someone grab a copy of the meeting. Dascede isn't here. Oops.

[18:48:29] Bargo Tomsen: I got it

[18:48:34] Steeltael Lykin: I saw that coming

[18:48:37] Bargo Tomsen: Posted in 1 minute

[18:48:37] Trinity Heckroth: Yeah me too

[18:48:43] Aryte Vesperia: Thank you.

[18:48:43] Bargo Tomsen: Oh hush

[18:48:48] Aryte Vesperia: I will reboot and be back shortly. Hopefully a modem reset fixes this.

[18:48:53] Aryte Vesperia: We'll host a raid at top of hour.

[18:48:59] zanndor Aeon: Hi5!

[18:49:05] Lestat Umarov: Hi5!

[18:49:06] Aryte Vesperia: So. Dismissed. Aaaand sim open, damage enabled. Declare an OIC plz.

============================

End of report.

Edited by Bargo Tomsen

To expand on what Aryte wrote (asked?) because it is curious and it's always struck me as both an amazing occurance even though the reasons for the curiosity are very obvious to me:

The reason why militaries in SL perist is because ordinary Western life is atomizing. Surely you've heard some talking head bloviate (not unlike I'm about to) about how with all the technological advances that could possibly bring us in closer contact with one another--email, cell phones, texting, internet--we're increasingly alienated from one another. We're lonely and we only get lonelier. (See: "Bowling Alone") Instead of sitting down for beers or coffee and talking about good books or politics or religion, you can blog. You can have your own blog, so you can say whatever the fuck it is you want, and no one can really challenge you. And if they do, it'll be a one-liner like "lol ur nutZ!!!".

This lonliness increasingly puts us in an unnatural state where the needs of the human soul go unaccounted for. Itis why despite all the bluster of science and cynicism, people still build and attend churches. The statistics from more reputable firms will tell you that attendance at religious services is up. And that was before the Great Depression Part II.

So, one outlet, as we sit alone, in front of our glowing screens, walking cartoon versions of ourselves around to YIFFYFURACTION, or pretend to be Boba Fett, or to pretend to be Boba Fett and YIFFYFURACTION, is to join a military, a group. Some people join for bling, sure, but most join for a variation of a reason that features the group as the main motivator in some form of another. If simply blowing shit up and shooting people were a persons' desire, then they'd play an FPS on some console. Those, I'm told, can even support team v team encounters. But what then? Assuming you could keep a coherent roster together, there's none of the building up of one's team or unit. Basically, there would *only* be the reward or benefit of the fun of shooting people in the face. An SL military requires selflessness and professionalism enough to endure. As Aryte pointed out, those that tend to lack this fritter away. Chaos seems to have persisted because unprofessionalism seems to be part of their MO. But, at least in Ordo, you'll see that the more lulzy seem to fall off eventually. All the better.

To me, Ordo has shortcomings just like anything. Frankly, I can't really understand furries, think the idea is stupid, and the attendant drama that seems to come with it is just embarassing. There are others like me, but fewer than not. That said, it is the unspoken sense of community that keeps dissimilar members together working in Ordo.

I'm not expressing myself very well, and to be honest, it's taken me nearly 4 hours to type this between spurts of RL work, so it's disjointed, but I'm too tired to care.

Gulliver out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.