Clicky

Ron Bleac

Why I Fight

Sup guys, Ron in da house. After reading through the meeting log from last night, I decided to make a little thread about why I fight. Now, I've been fighting in many places on Second Life, seen plenty of faces and spoken to people who'se names I couldn't pronounce, people from different countries, different religions, people who'se beliefs were significantly different from mine. Leaders, soldiers, builders and scripters from a variety of backgrounds. Good guys, bad guys, famous or infamous. Each with their own ideas. We're all very different as people, as individuals. Fighting and dying across all fronts, air, land and sea (haha, I wish) for something we particularly enjoy, combat.

Throughout the history of the world, soldiers, infantry, airmen and seamen alike have fought wars that we either remember, or ones that humanity has long since forgotten. Ugly wars, wars were father, mother, son or daughter, sister or brother have made the ultimate sacrifice in unimagineable ways. Through the advancement of technology, that war, that combat is now brought to our doorstep for us to profoundly enjoy. A bit twisted, don't you think? A man can fire a rifle at another in combat in reality, be called a hero or a murderer, but in our very own virtual reality we luckily enough, don't have to think about the moral implication of sending one to their homepoint.

Morality aside, I fight for one thing, the same way any soldier anywhere on this big blue ball we call Earth. The guy next to me. Milites Bob and Sesquiplicarius Doe. It's not about the big picture, not about the politics, not about the honor or glory. It's about a bond, a bond that exists only in combat. We've bled our pixelated blood into the same badly textured mud, sailed the seas when Keno got OIC, withstood attack after attack from militaries all over the grid, faced a threat other than an avatar with a prim gun, an unexpected threat from conteft theft and other malicious action, shared the same foxholes, shared our stories amongst eachother whilst awaiting the next enemy assault. Shared hardship, shared the good times AND bad times. We have fought together and died together, and I sincerely hope we forever will. We've been angry at eachother, bickered amongst ourselves and maybe sometimes didn't exactly feel like continuing. Sometimes, we may have thought of resigning. Sometimes it may have felt like too much to carry for something that is supposed to be a simple hobby. The amazing part about this is that we can look at ourselves and say: "I didn't have to endure this." That's right, none of us had to. But the amazing thing about this is that we are all here, we did it and here we stand, together as virtual warriors under the sun. And this is why I fight, because there are some goddamn fine people in this group, smart, funny, friendly, badass, lawful, just and upright. But most of all, different. What unites us all is friendship; camaraderie. And I am proud to be on the battlefield with you, proud to fight alongside you and no-one else. Proud to fight by the side of brave men and women who genuinely care. People who are themselves.

This, and you're all genuinely pretty awesome.

Hail to the Imperator and all that. With love, Ron.

So, why do you fight?

Why do I have the feeling I've read this before and you edited it to fit SL. Massive Deja-Vu

Either way, bad-ass.

I fight because what else is there to do in SL? Going to clubs and experiencing massive amounts of lag is nothing compared to shooting people in the face and experiencing massive amounts of lag.

I wrote this by myself, but maybe it's because it's a massive cliche? ;D

I once wrote a similar article when I had first become a leader in the Alliance Navy. I however think its more then just fighting and ties in to the post about why we stay in SL millitaries or SL groups. More often then not you find your self with like minded people and develop bonds of brotherhood (and yes sisterhood) that go beyond logging into halo or some other FPS and killing what ever shows up in front of you. Good work on putting it in a tangible format and sharing it with us all

I fight out of love for victory, conquest, and domination on and off the field of battle. Simple as that. I love winning.

I wish I could say it was something pure and noble like camaraderie or brotherhood (and those are important elements) but I'm not gonna lie, I just love curbstomping anyone that stands in our way in the name of our fine organization and its glorious leader. :awesome:

I fight out of love for victory, conquest, and domination on and off the field of battle. Simple as that. I love winning.

I wish I could say it was something pure and noble like camaraderie or brotherhood (and those are important elements) but I'm not gonna lie, I just love curbstomping anyone that stands in our way in the name of our fine organization and its glorious leader. :awesome:

Contrary to popular belief, soldiers fight to accomplish their mission. And part of accomplishing a mission (in some cases) is royally kicking someone's ass, and beating people up and leaving them sitting on their bottoms, going "what the hell was that" qualifies as not only incredibly bad-ass, but as a core component of great soldiering. :cool:

Contrary to popular belief, soldiers fight to accomplish their mission. And part of accomplishing a mission (in some cases) is royally kicking someone's ass, and beating people up and leaving them sitting on their bottoms, going "what the hell was that" qualifies as not only incredibly bad-ass, but as a core component of great soldiering. :cool:

01_born_to_kill.jpg

I fight for many things. Honor. Glory. The defense of this Ordo Imperialis.

I also fight for the sound of an enemy's head being crushed under my boot, the sensation of a heretic's neck being severed by my sword, and for the chance to wade, hip deep, in the gory remains of my fallen foes. This is how I measure my victories.