Clicky

Aryte

. . Upcoming Objective System!

For our current build, haha:

[19:11] Aryte Vesperia: Tell me how hard this'd be to do:

[19:11] Agares Tretiak: And a way to keep the enemy on their toes.

[19:11] (COM): Theodore Belgar: http://forums.ordoimperialis.com/index.php?/topic/9208-13aug10-1820-1840/

[19:11] Aryte Vesperia: Objective system as follows:

[19:11] Mercury: New contact: Tsume Xiao

[19:12] Mercury: New contact: Johann Wilberg

[19:12] Mercury: New contact: Pr0wer Miles

[19:12] Mercury: New contact: Poe Zaurak

[19:12] Aryte Vesperia: Two generators near lava: enemy stands next to for 60 seconds with OPFOR tag, disables generator.

[19:12] Tsume Xiao rezzes stuff.

[19:12] Mercury: New contact: Linx Foxclaw

[19:12] Mercury: New contact: Wolf Glendale

[19:12] Mercury: New contact: Sherdan Kinomis

[19:12] IceWolf Karlfeldt is Online

[19:12] Kalthea Xenno is Online

[19:12] Tsume Xiao: Ok.

[19:12] (COM): Desereck Creeggan: Suggestions, anyone?

[19:12] Aryte Vesperia: After generators are down, the drill (located next to these minerals) becomes safe to handle. Enemy can then stand next to the drill with OPFOR and steal a mineral pack (1 every 3 minutes).

[19:12] Musiaf Langley is Online

[19:13] Aryte Vesperia: If they take 3 mineral packs back to the spawn within 20 minutes, they win.

[19:13] Aryte Vesperia: But Ordo members wearing Ordo tag can repair the generators to reinable the drill.

[19:13] Mercury: Lost contact: Afevis Sodertelge

[19:13] Tsume Xiao: Fun o.o

[19:13] Tsume Xiao: That might take a bit longer to code. But very fun. I like it!

[19:14] Hollowmengitus Yifu: \o/

[19:14] (COM): Johann Wilberg: Desereck, I'll IM you.

[19:14] Agares Tretiak: We'll need to move some of the lava around a bit, I think, and reterraform a few things.

[19:14] Aryte Vesperia: Think you can handle it?

[19:14] Tsume Xiao: Yes.

[19:14] Aryte Vesperia: Make it so!

Well I sent this to Tsume and I didn't get a response to my IM so I'll post it here.

Regius Inquisition has a capture point system in their sim that allows attackers and defenders to teleport to captured points. This is done via a HUD that they give in their hub. When you wear the hud, it detects whether you are in one of the allied groups. If you aren't, it sets you as an opposing force.

Each capture point is affected by the hub based on proximity. After a certain number of seconds, the capture point will go neutral and then get captured to whichever side is closest to it. After the point is captured, allies can teleport to it and you can move along to other points.

The reason I mention this, is that a similar system can be adapted for our use. Using a simple, basic HUD, all of the features you are requesting are possible. Based on proximity they can have the HUD on to deactivate the generators. Using the HUD, you could limit the amount of minerals they are able to hold, and use it to interact with whatever is needed to have the capture objective.

This would also potentially allow you to expand it to have it interact with a database, and therefore also interact with Mercury (for warning announcements), or systems on another simulator.

If it's going to use a group tag, it should be opposing forces for anything but the FoIS group and the Ordo main group. People will complain about having to switch tags back and forth to attach gear. I like Nrom's idea of having Mercury record what's happening with the points, so we can actually throw the records in someone face when they claim to have won.

What would the minerals be of use. Think about it, plenty of armies would attack another military to set off a nuke or capture their flags, thus their base. Getting mineral packs just sounds a little small scale. Wouldnt the mineral packs have to be some amazingly rare mineral that others have to have. As i dont think anyone would attack a military just to get a few packs of minerals.

Resource raiding is an extremely old school reason to have a fight. One could even say, all warfare is surrounded around resources and the gain and future control of key resources. Ours is a mysterious, magical glowing blue rock that has a multitude of fancy uses!

Regarding that, it is nearly always to occupy that resource rather than steal it. They tend to capture a base and set up camp. I think if the minerals were highly explosive and they had to use them to blow something up on base it would be good.

Two things... one, this is going to be substantially more aggravating to attackers if they have to switch tags just to use the objectives. A better idea would be to set up a "server" of sorts. People come in, they click a button or something. Button pops up a dialog box with 1-9 as options. The dialog, or a texture somewhere, would tell them the sequence to input the numbers in. Put in the three numbers correctly... bam. You're registered on the server as being able to use the objectives. I suggest something like this so that people don't come in and accidentally click (or forget to click) the box. Having a small verification system both confirms people are there to hit (don't want to have some jackass get teleported in and decide to go lolcap the objectives for shits and giggles) and creates a "trigger activity" which makes it more likely they'll remember to use it. Every two minutes, the server does a quick check on all registered keys to see if they are still in sim. If they aren't there for five consecutive checks (ten minutes), the server wipes them and they have to re-validate (which takes all of 10 seconds if you're in the hub) as if you've been gone for ten minutes, then you SHOULD have to go back and reset. By "servers," I really just mean glorified chat relays, so it would be very low lag. Alternatively, we could do a Mercury tie in, maybe even have it only active if so many Ordo are on base, maybe requiring more than one or two attackers to use it as well, either explicitly (by failure to activate) or by making it difficult for one or two people to do by themselves.

For the specifics of the objective system, "powering down" generators so that a drill becomes "safe to handle" so people can "steal" mineral packs is just flat out boring. How about this instead: Power UP two generators. The generators then produce energy which is collected into a fuel cell every <insert time amount> seconds. An attacker "grabs" the power cell by clicking on it, or running into it, or something. Alternatively, we could have the attacker actually stand by and wait for the fuel cell to fill, aborting if they killed or move too far away. Once the attacker has the fuel cell, they don't take it into their inventory, or just click and say they have it. That would allow people to grab a cell and just teleport back to the spawn. Instead, once the cell is ready, the cell will rez out, and follow them, so long as they stay within... maybe 7m? If they go out of that range, the cell stops moving and drops to the ground, where it could either disappear immediately, remain for a few seconds for someone to pick up, or (the coolest option) explode, due to the "inherent instability of the energy." This has the advantage of not only forcing the enemy to get back to the spawn on foot, but makes them do so at a reasonable pace. We could maybe even put a timer on how long they have to get it back. Once the attacker gets the fuel cell back to the spawn, it will remain there for <insert number of minutes> before the cell loses its energy. Should the attackers collect <insert number> of active cells, they accomplish the objective. Sure, "victory" is cool and all, but it's just that... a word. Instead of just saying, "Oh. You win. Grats," let's give them something a little more tangible and satisfying. If they manage to get all those fuel cells collected, then they are able to power up or access some sort of super weapon, which they can then deploy. Now, you're probably thinking, "Oh. What are super weapons going to do? A couple 92m explosives is nothing in comparison with the work they had to do to get it." No. I'm not talking those kind of super weapons. I'm talking, "HOLY SHIT MEGA DEATH LASERS AND ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT JESUS CHRIST IN HOLY HEAVEN SAVE US ALL!" super weapons... the kind that go off for over a minute and rip our base apart, killing anyone and everyone even remotely nearby. This would probably include black screens, and of course would involve obnoxious and gratuitous visual effects. If we really want to add to our defeat, we could have a relay in New Jessie that announces whenever the weapon goes off.

As an attacker, you choose which of these is more satisfying: Stealing mineral packs because they're valuable and getting enough of them means you win, or powering up some terrifying device to blast the fuck out of those holier-than-thou Ordo bastards.

I know which one I would choose.

Two things... one, this is going to be substantially more aggravating to attackers if they have to switch tags just to use the objectives.

Make the objectives work on the same principle that the Mercz flags do. Have one group set for the defenders, then any other group tag it encounters it recognizes as hostile and works in their favor.

I suggest the generators being positioned on either side of the map in somewhat defensible locations in a sort of neutral area between the defenders front lines and the enemy spawn. Make them capture the generators then defend them while a third team, or even one person moves to collect the required minerals or whatnot.

. . . Or we could make them defend an automated-scripted SCV-ish thing that gathers the minerals for them and provide covering fire for it while it moves around doing it's job.

I.E. 'Ordo is warned of an imminent attack, and withdraws all personnel from the mining fields to defend the base, but wayward Milites Bob accidentally leaves his powered mining suit (SCV) behind to make a run for it, and attackers decide to make use of it rather than destroying the entire base to take the minerals for themselves.'

Also in b4 'SEISMIC ACTIVITY DETECTED, LAVA SURGE IMMINENT'

Make the objectives work on the same principle that the Mercz flags do. Have one group set for the defenders, then any other group tag it encounters it recognizes as hostile and works in their favor.

The Mercz flags use a set of scripted one-prim boxes for auth. The flags go llRegionSay(channel,(string)llDetectedKey);. The boxes are all set to various authorized groups, one box is set to land management, one to IS, and so on. The boxes then basically go

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message){ if(llSameGroup(message){llRegionSay(channel,"LOLITWORKED");}}

That is the basic system. If you did exactly that with multiple flags then all the flags would cap at once, so its a tiny bit more complicated than that.

Edited by Acheron Gloom

The Mercz flags use a set of scripted one-prim boxes for auth. The flags go llRegionSay(channel,(string)llDetectedKey);. The boxes are all set to various authorized groups, one box is set to land management, one to IS, and so on. The boxes then basically go

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message){ if(llSameGroup(message){llRegionSay(channel,"LOLITWORKED");}}

That is the basic system. If you did exactly that with multiple flags then all the flags would cap at once, so its a tiny bit more complicated than that.

Didn't say it was a perfect idea, nor did I know the scripting behind it. Just thought it was an idea.. Also, Mercz do have multiple flags, so what causes theirs to not all cap at once?

You guys are making this way too complicated. A simple HUD that checks to see whether you're in a valid allied group, and if not sets you to hostile, with a local chat channel listener for whatever capture points or generator that communicates with that HUD is all you really need. We could get this added to our existing hud, along with something available in the IS spawn area, and another one in the teleport hub for visitors to wear if they wish to participate in the objectives.

Hell something that simple is easy to expand on with the database integration that I mentioned earlier, and the simple use of it now would be a base system to further implement and add features to when considering Chronus and the future Titan build.

You guys are making this way too complicated. A simple HUD that checks to see whether you're in a valid allied group, and if not sets you to hostile, with a local chat channel listener for whatever capture points or generator that communicates with that HUD is all you really need. We could get this added to our existing hud, along with something available in the IS spawn area, and another one in the teleport hub for visitors to wear if they wish to participate in the objectives.

Hell something that simple is easy to expand on with the database integration that I mentioned earlier, and the simple use of it now would be a base system to further implement and add features to when considering Chronus and the future Titan build.

Even that is a bit more complicated than you think it is. I don't understand though why we need this system? Can't you just allow them to run up and attempt to do the objectives, and when they begin to do so it alerts us. If an ordo member or an ally accidentally clicks it you just tell them to move away and it stops.

Edited by Acheron Gloom