Clicky

DamionStJames Webb

Reflection, 9/11 Where were you?

I walked in early like usual to my first senior class in the computer lab and the TV was on. At first glance I asked asked 'what movie is this?' As I was informed shortly after it was real, the second plane struck the second tower. The entire school watched until both towers fell. Did the whole moment of silence and all, then school was dismissed early.

I was in my second grade class, being read Laura Ingalls Wilder aloud by our teacher. She then told us that "someone has done something very very bad today." I don't remember when I realized what exactly it was, but I distinctly remember watching some concert or awards ceremony where they listed all of the casualties and MIAs on a screen during heartfelt song.

Well. I was in Elementary school within Canada, and I remember my class or whatever being in the Library -- the news was on, but this was before it had happened; so maybe 20 minutes went by and then I recall hearing the librarian gasp pretty audibly.

Then we all sat down and watched it as it happened, in nothing but pure silence. It was pretty shocking to us all at the time because we had never witnessed something like that happen, it was beyond terrible.

A few hours went by and the school Principal came up on the P.A. system and dismissed us from school after a few additional moments of silence.

If this is inappropriate for the Offline section, please move it.

I would just like to put up a simple topic of reflection. Not of the events that occurred eleven years ago, but more what everyone had planned for their life before the events that happened, and how those plans changed after the events.

Myself, I was young, and thinking of a short term of service in the Military. I did not know what branch at that time, but I saw it as my gateway to a future career in Law Enforcement with either the local Police Department or the Sheriff.

WTC11-small1000x.jpg

1359738114_bfd1366ac1.jpg

Reflect, but please keep it civil.

prior to 9/11 i was 13, i was in middle school, doing stupid stuff with my friends, teasing others like a normal teenage would normally do, i didnt really pay much attrition to what was going on around the world, mostly because i slept in most of my classes but when i did hear that this was happen, it opened my eyes to that not every one is nice in this world, which at that time i wanted to be apart of SWAT [seemed fun], which now not really tho i do wanna kick in doors [like a baws]

Edited by Ratchet Exonar

You were born in 1992.

I was as well.

I'm 20 years old now.

2012 - 2001 = 11.

You were 9.

--

I still remember where I was on 9/11. It was weird for me to comprehend that America just lost a few thousand people, but at the time, that wasn't important.

What was important, to me, in my pre-teen mind, was that my friend's Dad's birthday was on the 11th, and that it would be ruined from that day out.

I remember being in my sophomore year of high school in Kansas, and the Principle walks into the Spanish class I was sitting in, and tells the teacher a building hit the world trade center. My immediate reaction was asking "Has anyone claimed responsibility for the attack?" and him giving me a confused, scared look before leaving the room. I left the classroom after him and headed to the Library where a television was set up. I watched the second airplane hit the tower on live television.

I learned to hate Kansas after that. A clique of the seniors started laughing at the anchor as they literally screamed and continued to laugh as the whole horror of it unfolded before my eyes on the screen. One of them couldn't contain himself and made jokes about firefighters who stumbled out of the ash and wreckage as the first tower had fallen. I had to leave the room before I beat the ever living shit out of them.

I didn't even bother trying to go to school the next day. In the ensuing weeks, the same group of jocks expressed the socially accepted moral outrage that was rampant in the aftermath of the attacks. I could only watch them with cold skepticism and a pit of loathing that has not left me for insincerity and lip-service.

I was watching television and didn't immediately realize that it was real. For about 10 seconds, I was flipping through channels only to see the same thing over, and over, and over again. When I noticed it was live, the idea of such a massive attack taking place was terrifying. It didn't have a direct effect on me until later, years on.

And to contribute to this, when my family got the news (the first plane hitting any tower), my father was listening to the radio in the kitchen, and everyone was awake at that point (I had to be at high school by 7:22 a.m., so I woke up at 5:30 a.m.). We then immediately turned on the TV, and just a few minutes later, saw the second plane hit.

What shocked me, is that I literally guessed where the last plane was going to hit before I got told about the one hitting the Pentagon (I theorized the final plane was going to hit the White House).

I was in 5th grade, going to an American school for military dependents in the middle of Bavaria, Germany (the township of Schweinfurt). It was a normal day. I had just gotten off the bus. Had a lot of homework I was worrying about doing. Rung the bell for my apartment and walked in. Our next-door neighbor told us to turn on our TV, and we did sometime after the first crash. We were watching the TV for hours. Our dad came home from work early and watched the news with us.