Clicky

Jayce Iredell

Computer Support: Questions Help & More

What sound card do you have, if any?

Different headphones have different impedences, meaning that you need amplifiers to power them. Sometimes sound cards aren't powerful enough for certain headsets, which may make them sound quieter/more muddled when in reality it isn't the headset's fault.

Most headsets also use simulated surround sound. The G35 and nearly every other headset anyone will ever link in this thread will be simulated surround sound, hence why they include those little USB sound cards with them. Potentially if you already have a sound card you can connect ANY headset and activate surround sound. This would enable you to buy less gimmicky and more powerful headphones. The Razer Tiamat and the Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6As are both real surround sound. They have multiple drivers on each side. Even that can be somewhat gimmicky though, so I don't think that should be the main selling.

Anyway, keeping all this mind and not knowing what sound card you have, I'd suggest one of these:

1. Logitech G930

2. Razer Tiamat 7.1

3. Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6A

4. Any other headset that meets what you're looking for, because I don't think in the end there will be too too great of a difference and you should be happy with what you get. I personally would really like the G930 though, and it isn't priced too badly.

Actually, ideally I'd like a good pair of headphones with a high quality soundcard with built-in headphone amplifier and support for surround sound and other technologies and a stand-alone high quality microphone.

Edited by Acheron Gloom

GONNA TRY THE TIAMAT. WENT 6 DOLLARS OVER MY LIMIT (Shipping + Taxes), BUT Ffff IT.

PLZ TELL ME HOW IT IS. Ive wanted it for a while but its stupid expensive. I have the razer carcharias and its boss. I am super "break my headset" prone and have yet to do any damage to it, while still tripping over, dropping, yanking on it. ect.

I am a major advocate of Logitech USB Headset H390, Reason being I've had one of these that I bought 3 years ago, I used to have my case on my floor and my USB hooked in and I've tripped over it several times, and im a big boy! lol, I ripped the usb ports out the front of my computer case, the headset still works flawlessly to this day, my room mate uses it almost daily. I bought a second one just to have a new one, doesn't give me eargasms, but it does a good job holding it's own, I've had several sets of earphones, all of them have failed except this particular brand and model.

Im not really big on budget headphones, I usually like to have eargasm headphones but these are great cause they've outlasted every other pair I've bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ClearChat-Comfort-Headset-Black/dp/B000UXZQ42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341757498&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+usb+headset

Edited by Heavy666 Bolden

Received the headset - sound quality is subpar. RMA'ing.

Does it seem like an issue with the headset as a whole, or does it seem like just the one you got has manufacturing flaws? Also, just making sure you plugged in all 5 analog audio cables + the USB cable. The USB is for power, the 5 analogs are for data.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265065

I use this headset. $36 and change with shipping from Newegg, thing sounds like a friggin' champ. It's a little snug around my head and the plastic it's made of feels a bit "Crisp", but overall its quality isn't half-bad for the price.

I used a Razer Carcharias before that. Lasted me 2 years before the left earpiece fizzled out and the cord around the volume control began to fray. Was only $80 at Best Buy too.

In the 16 years I've been alive I've yet to actually own a desktop. All of my computers have been souped up gaming laptops, purely because of transportation and me bouncing between houses.

I'm still keeping my current one, but I also want to have something at home that I can use for my main computer and update throughout the years.

This thread is me asking for ideas, I suppose. I'm thinking about either going with building my own from scratch, by ordering a cheap tower and swapping out parts, or just buying one pre-made. I'm wanting to do the first one, because I have a semi-tight budget to work with.

That all being said, some basic requirements would be the ability to have more than one screen (which would be gfx dependent), and a fairly modern CPU (ie, at least four cores [hyperthreading or an equivalent technology would be great here]).

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions on parts. :rolleyes:

Edited by Larry Furlough