Clicky

Xiolin Furlough

Things That Seem to be Noticed.

At first, I was going to write this as a reply to the Limitation on Administrative Roles thread, but it seemed to get a bit off-topic from that thread, so here it is in it's own shiny topic.

I really only have one thing to double/triple commanding and such and it's the point that Praetorian Praefectus Tretiak hit on which is the "burnout syndrome". It's all well and fine that Principales A wants to do CO and probably XO or 2iC of 2 or more squards, groups, etc. However, if you start overloading a person just because you see them as the top choice, no matter how many command positions they have currently, there will be burnout somewhere along the line. And yes, people will deny that they will burnout and manage to say "I can do this, this, and this all at the same time, sure I'll accept." To me, Principales A has made a stupid choice in excepting the role of a 2nd, or 3rd command position. You were put in your first command position for a reason, the sole fact of your ability, dedication and commitment to your work in the squad. But, when you take on a 2nd role, now your commitment, dedication, and overall ability to lead your first squad slips. And yes, it does slip, no matter how much someone may say it doesn't, it can, and will, slip downhill. This in turn, would make them less effective in any position they may hold as they become less available to a certain group.

And to note on some people saying that personal are not stepping up to the plate. I fully agree that this has been happening across the board. It is evident while on base and on the forum. On the forum, it is mostly the reports. We always tend to have the majority of the defense/offense/training reports written by the same people, with a few different people thrown in here and there. These reports are simple and should not be neglected. If you were on base, participating in the defense, and going to be remaining on base, you should be one of the first people to raise your hand for that report, instead of standing in the back all quiet and trying to get out of doing paperwork.

And the final thing I will note on, though probably a bit off topic for this thread, though can possibly be linked to it, is the whole "I'm bored" statements. Just because you arent a CO, XO, 2iC, etc., doesn't mean you can just sit back and say "I'm bored" There is a number of things you can do if you ever feel like you are not doing anything. There is a rezzer that you can hone in on your movement and combat skills, and also a killhouse that can be used for training, combat situations, free-for-alls, etc. The options are there for you to do something and accomplish something for the betterment of yourself and Ordo, you just got to start taking the initiative with doing these things, instead of sitting back and thinking someone else will do it before you do it.

Just a few things I tend to see on base that are worth a mention, as you tend to learn this stuff in your basic training, Armatura, and your advancement throughout the Numerii ranks.

That is an excellent point, Mr. Furlough.

The Administratio and its staff are constantly wary of the symptoms of "burn out syndrome". It occurs, as you aptly stated, when anyone takes on too much work at one time. It was especially prevalent in the past when we were growing rapidly and our officer corps was trying to keep pace. Even now, we're seeking to fill positions in the Administratio. All officers can fall prey to it, if they forget or do not appropriately delegate tasks to their staff, dole out their time efficiently, and if they try to take on too many responsibilities at one time. New officers especially can fall prey if they aren't used to the pressures.

That all in mind, though, we look very closely at each officer candidate to see if during their career as an NCO, they showed the ability to avoid these problems, since the mentality and skills that permit this can and generally do start to manifest as they become more responsible in the organization. Generally, the job of an NCO is to take an officer's orders (or objective) and take either an assigned piece and general instructions on how to carry it out, and make that a reality by organizing the enlisted they oversee, and encouraging the development of what ever the orders seek to achieve into a reality. Nearly all officer initiatives start from up top and roll down to the bottom, where our foundation lies, amongst the NCOs and enlisted.

This is one of the underlying reasons why there is a chain of command: No single officer or NCO, not even myself or the Imperator, can tackle every problem singlehandedly: But working together through the organization of the Ordo, all things are possible for us. This is something all of you who wish to be an officer or Praetorian should keep at the forefront of your mind: Doing so will limit the dreaded onset of a burnout.

This is why I have been sticking to being in command of Aquila and being a Schola director even though I was at some point offered other command like positions which I turned down, Because I know that if I were to grab everything offered to me I would just be overloading myself with too much work and I keep limit on this.