Clicky

Mith Wakowski

Guard Duty Officers, OIC, and guard staff.

It's occured to me, and some others, that the idea of Guard duty officer hasn't caught on.

Nor has the whole OIC completely. I came online to find Sosarin still OIC while Akurei came in and didn't relieve him of his command. Not pointing fingers, not a lot of people are actually doing it. Which is why I post this thread. To discuss the future of GDO and the passing on of the OIC status whenever needed.

For those of you who don't want to read the notecard or the sticky topic on the subject, here's the idea in short.

The Officer in Command (OIC) is the officer responsible for the sim safety.

The Guard Commander, or Guard Duty Officer (GDO) Or Ground defence organiser/overseer does just that. GDO are enlisted of E-3 or higher rank who take over defence organisation from the OIC during peace time. (Green time, standard down time) they ask for volunteers to guard the sim or ask the OIC to appoint one if the minimum amount of 5 guardsmen is not met.

The OIC, I believe they are the highest ranking officer available. But I might be mistaken there. The GDO is an appointed E-3 or higher (might be E-4 these days as well) to take over general guard command. Mostly to show what they're made of or to give the OIC time for themselves.

So far I've noticed that in a lot of cases someone, usually an observant enlisted, asks who the OIC is and it turns out noone relieved the W-1 in command while there are now three full officers present. Also it has not occured much, if at all, that a GDO was appointed. Neither have I seen much of the asking to join in on active guard duty. Which is rather odd since I come in a lot during slow times (4 members on sim) And I usually defend by my own initiative.

I started this thread to:

-discuss wether this is happening all day or just at night since I average online times between 3 AM and 3 PM SLT.

-discuss wether a change to the idea is needed

-discuss if more discipline from the officers prone to become OIC (due to insomnia for instance) would help kickstart the general use of the option of GDO as well as the more frequent 'checking if one should be OIC upon loggin in' by all officers.

People are definitely getting the gist of the OIC and minimal guard coverage.

The GDO idea isn't getting of the ground for sure. So there's definitely work to be done on some level.

Discuss.

This is true. However, as much rarely happens in off hours, this is usually the time devoted to projects, development, and other stuff that cannot be done during primetime. Keep this in mind. Also, positions are appointed usually as needed. when the sim has been quiet for hours, people aren''t going to see a need for establishing OIC, let alone GDO. Not saying they shouldn't. just explaining reasoning.