Clicky

Rei Kuhr

Ventrilo Volume Normalization

I've been using these settings for quite a number of years now. I noticed a lot of people on Vent complain about someone being too quiet or too loud. This will help set your vent up to normalize all volumes. It also keeps loud sounds from being too loud.

Here's how:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

What the settings do?

Gain

How much volume you feed into the compressor. Not really relevant unless everyone is too quiet, then you can turn this up a little; turning it up too much will sound EXTREMELY *%*%ty.

Attack

How fast volume change will happen. example: setting this to 500 means that anything coming in will only be dropped in volume after a half a second. for vent this should be set as low as possible.

Release

how fast the compressor stops changing things. not really that relevant with vent, setting it around 500 is good for voice material.

Threshold

This sets the point where we actually start changing what

Any idea how to do this for Mac? There's no "Enable Direct Sound" and clicking on SFX gives me "not supported yet."

Because this is a problem that needs addressing, I've actually played with the idea of jury rigging my audio output to play through a guitar compression pedal and into a small 15 watt practice amp.

No shit.