Zerowinged Vasiliev

Ordo Meeting - 23AUG09

~ORDO IMPERIALIS~

OFFICIAL DOCUMENT

<=====================Extend to this length=========================>

<===========================================================>

**********Meeting Report**********

NAME/RANK/DIVISION: Zerowinged Vasiliev / Triplicarius / Terra; B.II

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE: August/23/2009

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUBJECT: Unlock System.

SUMMARY:

• Officer Meeting Canceled (Lack of officers).
  • Imperator decides to discuss the unlock system with all of Ordo

============================================================

CHAT LOG:

Unlock System

[14:16] Aryte Vesperia: Okay!

[14:16] Aryte Vesperia: Lemme grab the forum topic about it.

[14:18] Aryte Vesperia: Ahkay!

[14:18] Aryte Vesperia: I am going to read off the forum post I made and we'll roll up some info and brainstorm.

[14:18] Aryte Vesperia: The purpose here is to finalize the unlock changeover.

[14:18] Aryte Vesperia: That way, we can get a good circle of input from all levels of the Ordo.

[14:18] Aryte Vesperia: Let me start from the beginnin'!

[14:19] Aryte Vesperia: As we prepare to make the shift to the new unlock system, the question on everyone’s mind is: so, how do we get points now? What counts toward our unlock acquisition?

[14:20] Aryte Vesperia: Originally, the plan was to be rather insane and keep track of participation elements—like defense, offense, etc. But the logistical element and accuracy of that would be, frankly, rather insane. There is no way to reliably do such: there is not any way to determine who is actually participating and who is just idling. In addition, tracking offensive maneuvers stacks an unfair competition for a practice that is rewarding within itself. In other words, I want to avoid forcing people to squeeze in to the limited offensive opportunities for unlocks.

[14:20] Aryte Vesperia: Participation rating in general is a tricky question: how do you value an action greater than another? Is building a tank the same worth as designing a training program? Is exemplary combat conduct equivalent to good behavior?

[14:21] Aryte Vesperia: The second idea I had was rating time in service. But again . . . how do we go about differentiating active time vs. inactive time? Veterans in service definitely are deserving of some sort of compensation, but does it make sense to stack points dependant on that element?

[14:22] Aryte Vesperia: To be effective, unlock points must be able to be distributed based upon reliably rated attributes with a fair level of accuracy. In addition, the process and maintenance of these points must be able to be performed without an unusually extended amount of effort.

[14:23] Aryte Vesperia: So. What counts? What do we use?

Many hours of deliberation with my alter ego Ruin, and many cups of Starbucks later . . . a viable solution came to mind!

[14:23] Aryte Vesperia: Rate individuals for unlocks based upon weekly or bi-weekly personnel reviews, conducted by command leads. In short, it would be the responsibility of command positions—Terra octet, century, cohors leads; Astra flight leads, etc—to perform an at-large review bi-weekly on the individuals under their command. Forms will be provided, detailing elements of activity, participating, progressive contribution, attitude, presence, etc, etc. Not only will this allow all levels of individuals to receive points, regardless of their individual talents, it will reinforce the extreme necessity of command staff to know their personnel.

[14:24] Aryte Vesperia: There will be a threshold of maximum “experience points” (the stuff you need to reach up to an unlock) per week, so an individual could feasibly only be proficient in a few areas and still reach maximum “exp” per period. For example, someone may not have tons of time to contribute to defense, but they may have a knack at developing proactive elements for the group. So both of them could, in theory, still receive the maximum number of experience points per review.

[14:25] Aryte Vesperia: In addition, these reviews could be handed back to the individuals who are . . being reviewed. This would allow them to get constant feedback on request, with direct accountability with their officers.

[14:26] Aryte Vesperia: For those officers and unit commanders suddenly going “fuuuuuck;” shame, shame! The expectation of communication and unit reviews has been in place for months and months. At least, for Terra it sure has been. Now, you’re simply going to have no way to weasel out of it. <3

[14:26] Keller Teichmann: \o/

[14:26] Aryte Vesperia: Thoughts, questions?

If this is something people like, I can get it hammered out and in place in just a couple days.

[14:27] Scientific Waffle raises hand.

[14:27] Garion Lowenhardt raises hand

[14:27] Aryte Vesperia: Waffle.

[14:28] Scientific Waffle: Is this going to just be something octet commanders are going to have to rattle off every two weeks for all of their members? My own suggestion would be to make this something enlisted opt into, which would provide a leg up in terms of judging who has an interest to be active and contribute in the first place, as well as highlight those who are looking for rewards for their behavior.

[14:28] Scientific Waffle: As in...

[14:29] Scientific Waffle: Vexillarius Frank IMs his commander and asks for a review over the next week or so, and his commander does so, rewarding Frank at the end of the period if Frank has proven his worth.

[14:29] Scientific Waffle: Rather than having commanders attempt to rate those who almost never log in on a biweekly basis.

[14:29] Aryte Vesperia: Well, inactive personnel would easily be handled.

[14:29] Aryte Vesperia: "not active, 0 pts."

[14:30] Merk Thor whispers "reply"

[14:30] Aryte Vesperia: Hm . . I do like the idea of opt-in chances, but how would you, as an octet leader, handle that?

[14:30] Scientific Waffle: Well there could be a maximum number of opt-ins one could have, like 1 or 2 a month...

[14:31] Scientific Waffle: And it would provide focus for browsing through combat reports, talking to people in contact with them...

[14:31] Scientific Waffle: Rather than making this more of a biweekly grind.

[14:31] Merk Thor: I as a lower ranking would never "dare" saying "Hi! Look at me and give me points"

[14:32] Garion Lowenhardt: Sorry to interrupt, but why not make the opt in a chance for bonus XP? That way everyone would be able to get a base XP every 2 weeks, plus a bit extra if they opted for closer scrutiny.

[14:32] Kraa String feels like this is turning into WoW

[14:32] Aryte Vesperia: Exactly my worry, Merk. People would be reluctant.

[14:32] Anlysia Gregoire: You want the review and assessment, the points are just a sideffect of it.

[14:32] Aryte Vesperia: Hm..

[14:32] Vai Tyran: Aryte, I don't think so. If you're confident you're doing your duty, there should be no shame in havig yourself reviewed.

[14:32] Merk Thor: Not sure what that meens aryte but sounds cool.

[14:33] Vai Tyran: having*

[14:33] Aryte Vesperia: I like the idea of opt in, Waffle.

[14:33] Aryte Vesperia: I do like that.

[14:33] Aryte Vesperia: But how do we handle ensuring members are taking advantage of it?

[14:33] Scientific Waffle: I would prefer it much over a mandated grind every two weeks, which I feel would REDUCE personal communication.

[14:33] Merk Thor: Well instead of me saying "look at me" every week as i wan´t points, my octect leader could just check for me every week

[14:34] Scientific Waffle: And perhaps we could keep track of "last review" in the spreadsheets we maintain.

[14:34] Scientific Waffle: And remind active members with no reviews that they can ask for one.

[14:34] Aryte Vesperia: Maximum of 2 a month, or?

[14:35] Scientific Waffle: That's what I would suggest.

[14:35] Aryte Vesperia nodnods.

[14:35] Scientific Waffle: A single review being held over the course of a week.

[14:35] Aryte Vesperia: I like the option of opt-in, especially because I could tag that to the promotion requirement worksheet.

[14:35] Vai Tyran: ... So, I guess octet leaders would opt into their superiors then?

[14:35] Aryte Vesperia: Of course.

[14:36] Aryte Vesperia: That's good.

[14:36] Aryte Vesperia: Thank you Waffle.

[14:36] Aryte Vesperia: Garion?

[14:36] Crash Silverfall raises a hand on what you all were discussing from what waffle said

[14:37] Garion Lowenhardt: Would Merits have a one time point bonus attached to them?

[14:37] Aryte Vesperia: Some could! I was considering that.

[14:37] Aryte Vesperia: That is a real potential.

[14:37] Garion Lowenhardt: I think it'd be a good idea. It'd give newer members opportunity to gain many points quickly and become more adaptive in combat, whereas Officers, who've got more experience and gear by that point anyway, wouldn't need the few points Merits would give them.

[14:38] Aryte Vesperia: Well thought.

[14:38] Aryte Vesperia: Thank you. :D

[14:38] Aryte Vesperia: Crash?

[14:38] Crash Silverfall: This has nothing to do with Astra right. All that oct stuff. (else my brain is gonna escape and kill himself.)

[14:38] Aryte Vesperia: Nope, flight leaders = octet leaders.

[14:39] Aryte Vesperia: Same thing.

[14:39] Crash Silverfall: D:

[14:39] Crash Silverfall: Ok thx

[14:39] Aryte Vesperia: Keep the comments and questions coming.

[14:39] Aryte Vesperia: This is very helpful.

[14:39] Aryte Vesperia: Next?

[14:40] Merk Thor: I´m needin to head out now. Please put everything o the forum

[14:40] Rageki Finesmith raises hand

[14:40] Aryte Vesperia: Bye Merk-- sure will.

[14:40] Aryte Vesperia: Rageki?

[14:40] Anlysia Gregoire raises a hand.

[14:40] Rageki Finesmith: just a crossing thought

[14:40] Vai Tyran: Yeah: Why a limit weekly/monthly? Doesn't that put eager people on unfair wait?

[14:40] Vai Tyran: Er, my bad.

[14:40] Merk Thor: I´ll try to think of something. Nighty Nighty

[14:40] Scientific Waffle raises hand to answer...

[14:40] Rageki Finesmith: i reckon to make things bright n cheerful now n then can we have like 1 day of non unform just formal wear

[14:41] Rageki Finesmith: grey on grey followed by a splash of grey contrasts with my pink

[14:41] Aryte Vesperia: A tad bit off topic.

[14:41] Aryte Vesperia: Haha.

[14:41] Rageki Finesmith: i know

[14:41] Aryte Vesperia: Waffle?

[14:41] Rageki Finesmith: but im too shy in big crowds

[14:41] Scientific Waffle: Well just to answer Vai's question about limiting reports...

[14:42] Aryte Vesperia: Don't worry about it, Rageki.

[14:42] Scientific Waffle: A lot of the octet commanders and upper commanders already have a lot to do, and I don't think reviewing more than once every two weeks would be that much more useful. A large part of being in the Terra command staff is keeping track of the men and their progress, but this should not become something octet commanders have to do around the clock.

[14:43] Vai Tyran: To add: Would soldiers be unable to be cross-reviewed by other octet leaders than theirs if theirs is too busy?

[14:43] Aryte Vesperia: No.

[14:44] Aryte Vesperia: The limit of two would be in relation to the 'points' to me. As in, I don't want people asking their octet lead 90 times a month just to squeeze out points.[14:45] Aryte Vesperia: As for cross review, it is the responsibility of the lead. If the octet commander (or flight commander) is busy (which they shouldn't be feasibily inable to grant a review), it can be passed up the chain. As in, to the century lead.

[14:45] Keller Teichmann raises his hand. c-c

[14:45] Aryte Vesperia: Fish.

[14:46] Keller Teichmann: I actually like the idea of cross-reviewing, or having octet leaders recommend outside of their octet. There'll always be something that could be missed by the octet leader that another one might have seen and decided was worthy of mention.

[14:46] Zerowinged Vasiliev: He has a point.

[14:47] Keller Teichmann: whether it be due to something simply being skipped over, or one octet leader deciding standing on defense isn't as worthwhile as another might.

[14:47] Aryte Vesperia: It would create an administrative nightmare.

[14:47] Aryte Vesperia: Trying to keep track of who reviewed who, when, and the amount.

[14:48] Zerowinged Vasiliev raises hand,"Comment."

[14:48] Aryte Vesperia: Yes?

[14:48] Anlysia Gregoire re-raises a hand. ;>

[14:49] Zerowinged Vasiliev: Instead of cross-recommending. Just send a suggestion to the octet/flight lead preforming the review? Rather then, for instance, putting a Invictus member in a Fulminata review.

[14:49] Zerowinged Vasiliev: /

[14:52] Kraa String raises a hoof. "May I express myself a little about the 'performance reviews/analysis?"

[14:53] Aryte Vesperia: Suggestions and the likes are always good, Zero.

[14:53] Aryte Vesperia: Kraa?

[14:54] Kraa String: Just a thought that crossed my mind, this is 'performance analysis' is starting to sound much like a corporate environment where they watch you constantly and assess you on your every move and action.

[14:55] Kraa String: I play Second Life as an escape from this kind of environment

[14:55] Aryte Vesperia: Nothing bad can come of this.

[14:55] Aryte Vesperia: Only good.

[14:55] Aryte Vesperia: Varying levels of good.

[14:55] Tiridates Mikadze raises his hand.

[14:56] Aryte Vesperia: Whereas your corporate concerns could get you fired.

[14:56] Kraa String is aware that Frumentarii is watching us 24-7

[14:56] Kraa String: True...

[14:56] Aryte Vesperia: Performance reviews have existed . . forever.

[14:56] Aryte Vesperia: Just, not utilized. You're being reviewed more than you realize, only now it'll benefit you directly.

[14:57] Tiridates Mikadze lowers his hand

[14:57] Aryte Vesperia: Tiri, lol.

[14:57] Aryte Vesperia: Next comment, question? This is good. Helpful!

[14:57] Tiridates Mikadze: I was going to put a in a word of defense for the review concept, but neeevermind.

[14:57] Anlysia Gregoire: What's the expected timeline for unlocks?

[14:57] Aryte Vesperia: As in?

[14:58] Anlysia Gregoire: As in, how long should it take someone at maximum gain-rate to achieve them? And does it scale upward after each?

[14:58] Aryte Vesperia: Mmmm.

[14:59] Aryte Vesperia: I honestly haven't worked out the point values. The probability is it'll be graduated.

[14:59] Aryte Vesperia: For example . .

[14:59] Aryte Vesperia: 100-250-450, etc.

[15:00] Aryte Vesperia: (Assuming that every tier grants you a more valuable unlock-- to remind everyone, there are three levels of unlock points: standard, secondary, special. Standards are used for light weapons, secondary can grab light/explosives, and special is anything."

[15:02] Aryte Vesperia: Dependant upon whether or not there'll be other avenues of gaining 'experience points,' feasibly . . 25 a report? I am really not sure yet.

[15:02] Aryte Vesperia: I'd have to sit down and crunch digits.

[15:03] Aryte Vesperia: I want it to be reflective of people's actual efforts, so someone who's going "omg this is so awesoooomme" and puts a billion hours of effort would receive fair compensation.

[15:03] Aryte Vesperia: Make sense?

[15:04] Aryte Vesperia: [15:04] haam Carrasco: hi aryte I could pass the M4A1 (AX-ML) and RAPTOR of titan industries? please < - FUUU, Brazilians.

[15:04] Tiridates Mikadze: lol'd

[15:04] Aryte Vesperia: Anly?

[15:04] Aryte Vesperia: Anlysia: yes t hat makes sense lol ^^

[15:05] Aryte Vesperia: Next question?

[15:05] Aryte Vesperia: Nothin' else? Any comments, concerns?

[15:06] Aryte Vesperia: Anything at all. I want to make sure we have this all figured out before I start writing the final draft.

[15:06] Aryte Vesperia: Cool beans.

[15:06] Aryte Vesperia: Thank you all for the input then. :D

[15:06] Aryte Vesperia: Dismissed!

Salutes

[15:06] Aryte Vesperia clasps his fist to his chest, presenting a salute.

[15:07] Crash Silverfall Salutes! "Hail To The Imperator, Baby!"

[15:07] Anlysia Gregoire salutes! "We march to the Hymns of the Ecclesiarchy!"

[15:07] Williamca Zenovka Salutes! "Hail To The Imperator, Baby!"

[15:07] Zerowinged Vasiliev snaps into a salute, "Ghost reportin'"

[15:07] Keller Teichmann salutes! "It matters not, how straight the gate."

[15:07] Sykes Foxclaw salutes! <3

[15:07] Vai Tyran salutes.

[15:07] Rageki Finesmith salutes!

[15:07] Blaze Wiles salutes "The emperor, our father and guardian"

[15:07] Kraa String places his hand on his chest in a proud salute. "MOOOOO!!!"

[15:07] Rageki Finesmith: fish

[15:07] Tiridates Mikadze salutes crisply.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.