Clicky

Tsume Xiao

Beta Testers

So lately I have run into some issues with small bugs. Very small things that are the exact type of things my eyes miss while coding, and that beta testers are there to catch. The problem is they aren't getting caught. Basically I suggest we make a role in the group for dedicated beta testers, people who are known as a trusted source that weapons can be handed too when in beta and wont just be used once then ignored.

The biggest issue I have seen with testing is that many people don't put weapons to real tests, but rather just fire it off a bit then say "Oh its fine" and then ignore it. It doesn't see heavy lag testing, live combat testing, ect.

Basically, I'd like to see a bit more formal definition of what is ment by "here, beta test this for me" and get a bit more picky on just who gets to be handed the new shiny weapons that are in beta.

1. What is Beta Testing, and what is required by the tester?

Testing means driving the weapon to the edge, doing all sorts of crazy shit to it that no normal person would ever do. This isn't because we think we have people buying our weapons just to break them and then slander and scam us. Its about quality, and making sure that if someone does some freak sequence of events or command, the gun wont stop working on them.

Good testing includes vigorous handling in all environments, which means using the weapon as often as possible. In many cases, it may mean using the weapon as your primary means of fighting for several days, or even a week. Obviously If you are testing a bolt-action rifle, lugging it to a full out CS assault wont work, but give it a try on lesser attacks and defenses, and use it when ever you need to shoot something. Make it your first choice for battle while you test it!

Some of the best things to do while testing are the simple extremes: Spam commands at the thing, rapidly pulse your mouse button, run in circles while firing. The simple things are easy to test, but often over looked. The prime example of this is melee attacks, as sometimes small things like a misnamed kill-prim will cause mass issues. (This is what happened to the TI Beretta 92FS Re-Script. I named the kill prim one thing in the script, and there was a small difference in the object's real name. No one bothered to test the melee on the pistol, so it was overlooked, and was found about a day after release.)

2. Bug reporting!

Bugs happen! And if you find them, reporting them is one of the most crucial steps in getting them fixed.

Now, a report does not mean IM'ing the scripter and going "Something is wrong with the <insert name of weapon>".

That doesnt really help the scripter with anything, as they don't know where the bug is, what it does to the weapon, or what causes it.

Instead, be thorough with your reports. here is an easy guide to them.

--------Bug Report Guide--------

Ok, so you think you have found a bug in a beta weapon. Great! That's your job. Don't be afraid to report it because you think the scripter might be offended or take it personally. Its their job to fix bugs, and no bugs equals a better end product, which is better for the company as a whole.

Step 1) Make sure its a bug.

Sometimes, chat commands or other settings are changed without your knowing, and it might look like a bug because you don't remember doing it. Before reporting a bug, make sure it is repeatable. Try doing what you did again, and if it causes the same problem, then record how you caused it and go on to the next step.

Step 2) Document all you know about the bug

This is fairly simple. Open a notecard, title it "Bug Report: <Name Of Weapon>", and put the following inside:

-Nature of the bug: What does the bug do to the gun? ex: "Gun wont sling. Locks up."

-How the bug happened: What were you doing when eh bug occurred? ex: "I tried to sling the gun while firing and the gun stopped responding to commands and controls"

-Repeatability: Were you able to repeat the bug more than once? ex: "I reset the gun and attempted to sling it while firing, and it happened again."

Step 3) Send the report

This is the easiest part! Open the scripter's profile and drop the notecard in! That's it!

If they weren't online, drop them an IM when you next see them on to make sure they got it.

--------------------------------

---How to improve things---

It may sound like a bit of work, but the simplest way to make sure we have good testers is to record who does it well, and get back to them in the future if they do a good job.

-Take applications/volunteers for testing. If they are in good standing, and you know they are in combat a lot, they should be prioritized as they are more likely to use the weapon in combat.

-Pay attention to the testers and see who is using the weapon. If they aren't, ask why, though if the situation is something obvious, dont bug them (IE. Dual wield automatics. They aren't allowed to use them, so obviously they cant use them both at the same time during Ordo stuff.)

-Make note of who finds bugs, and who does good bug reports. Even if they didn't use it in heavy combat, if they have a knack for finding bugs, they are a good choice for the future.

So yeah. That's some comments and thoughts on what needs to be done to improve our beta testing. No gun is perfect off the line, and most of the time its the small things that get over looked. I had an entire gun lock up on users when they tried to draw it after slinging it because I forgot TWO WORDS in the code. Two small words. One massive massive bug. Yet none of the testers found it. Another example is the first issuing of the HellGun, which lacked melee because the script was looking for "OI_Melee Kill" and the object was named "OI_MeleeKill". GG spacebar.

~Tsume Xiao

>:O I ASKED YOU FOR HELP EARLIER ABOUT A BUG I FOUND AND YOU IGNORED ME YOU FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFOOL WHAT IS THIS?

This is about the least productive post I have seen in awhile.

Reguardless, I am testing every weapon I can. If a bug comes up, I report it.