Clicky

Gunau Sodwind

Because it's 9-11 and i am a bastard

Premptively, I would like to start a discussion on methods of handling grief. For many being alone is their answer, for some getting angry irrationally, for others, like myself, we make the situation less intense by joking about it. For many of you 9-11 was a strike close to home, or...for some at home. The question i am raising is, these days, what is poor taste? if the only way one can cope is by joking about things that other's find incredibly sad, what can a man do?

I have a really hard time whenever I hear the tape of the man on the phone from inside the tower. I could sense his hopelessness, his desire to get out of there, his want to be safe and his frustration at the situation. I am a very emotional person, and I am very empathetic, I can place myself there in that office with the smoke, the tremendous height, and the fear. And then the floor suddenly giving out beneath you as you plummet to oblivion. It makes me sad and broken up to think that man was begging and crying so hard for help and it never was able to reach him.

I feel the pain and the anguish of the Police and Fire officers that were desperately trying to save lives that day, trying to help those poor unfortunate souls that were trapped inside of the towering infernos, and then to have the world come crashing around them just makes me feel so down that they had to go that way. It doesn't seem fair. It's so cruel to have to have death come so swiftly and never be able to look him in the eyes as it were

One image that's always frightened me, was the thought going through the mind of that guy at his desk, who turns around just in time to see a plane comming at him. I wonder what went through his mind then. What he was thinking.