Clicky

Sera Otoro

Of Myself... and AnthroCon

Right... figured Id start this up... this was meant to start up a short while ago... hasnt gone round to it yet...

first off... my situation...

My chances right now are pretty dire... the US embassy wants me to get proof of the following... : flight dates, hotel dates, where im going, where im living, my job, and my bank money... normally this wouldnt be a problem... but... a while ago i found out that the travel agents will not do the flight booking until i get my visa... this left a bad deadlock on me.... however i went over again... now they CAN book the flights after explaining the situation... one very high risk follows.... i cannot get a refund on my flights should they deny my visa... so 450 GPB... make that around 700 - 800 USD... will be wasted on nothing... i cannot afford to take such a risk with my cash like that...

so... what am i to do... suggestions...? because i REALLY do want to make it this year...

I would suggest taking a trip to the US Embassy in London

or wherever is closest to you and talking it over with them

in person. Almost all have at least one person and sometimes

an entire section that deals with situations like yours.

And yeah you can visit them in person. Just make sure

you leave your uzi at home, they get a bit touchy about

that :)

You have to register your flight online before you go Sera etc. http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/...out_1990.html#2 is what you need for that kind of thing, and phone your local US Embassay who can provid eyour visa etc within 2 hours. As long as you have no criminal convictions your sorted. 8D

Edited by Sekonda Huet

ok... i suppose i havent explained why this needs to be done... in 2002 - 2003 i was in california thanks to my mother saying we were going to live there without me knowing the concequences of overstaying... i was 15 - 16 when this happened... i went back to the UK in 2003 (wish i hadnt now...) and got an overstay stamped on my old child's passport... this also completely removes my allowance to travel free without a non-immigrant visa...

however... upon wanting to go on vacation to the US later on... i had to go to the US embassy in 2004 to apply for a non-immigrant visa... i got denied and a 3 year hold from when i first got back from the US... so i couldnt reapply until 2006...

this is why im having so much trouble getting to AC... and even though i was a minor back then... i still had to apply... no let-offs... and again... i cannot gamble 450 pounds on my flight and risk getting denied again for whatever reason they may come up with... so im in a really bad position...

Again, you really need to go in and talk to someone at the

embassy in person. Its alot harder to blow someone off or

set their paperwork aside for later when they are standing

in front of you, as opposed to a phone call.

I really think you will have the best luck this way. Go in,

dress neatly, and BE NICE. Government employees will bend

over backwards for anyone who takes the time to treat them

well. Give it a shot. At most, you lose an hour or two of a day.

If you get the right person and convince them that they should

help you, you may be amazed at how much easier they can

make the whole process for you. :)

Again, you really need to go in and talk to someone at the

embassy in person. Its alot harder to blow someone off or

set their paperwork aside for later when they are standing

in front of you, as opposed to a phone call.

I really think you will have the best luck this way. Go in,

dress neatly, and BE NICE. Government employees will bend

over backwards for anyone who takes the time to treat them

well. Give it a shot. At most, you lose an hour or two of a day.

If you get the right person and convince them that they should

help you, you may be amazed at how much easier they can

make the whole process for you. :)

She can't. You cannot enter an embassy unless your a citizen of that embassy. She can only phone them.

I've been there, done that and bought the t-shirt etc.

It's an American Embassy, nothings been the same since.

Not entirely accurate. You can, but you need an appointment. The

biggest thing to remember is dont give up. Call, give them a brief

rundown of your situation, and ask if you can make an appointment

to come and explain your situation in person. Dont give up! If you

cant talk them into giving you an appointment, then try and take

care of it over the phone. You may have to be patient and accept

that its not going to happen overnight. :)

you know... im starting to feel like i should just take the easiest step and risk the 700 USD... because to get there to be with you all would be worth risking it anyway... not going to just yet... im still trying to find out more to avoid the risk for now before i do make it... since its still fairly early...

right now im struggling on getting contact numbers and details of the london US embassy... if anyone can help with the search and post it here... that would be great...

Edited by Sera Otoro

24 Grosvenor Square

London, W1A 2LQ

(44) (0)20 7499-9000

Operator Assisted Visa Info: 09042-450100

No other prefixes, etc. May not be available on

all UK business or cell networks.

If you call the main embassy line, you'll want to

ask for Consular Affairs.

Hope this helps.

www.usembassy.org.uk

Edited by Vladimus Nikolaidis

UPDATE : right, i spoke to someone in the US Embassy over the phone, and some good news came out of it... I dont have to book the flights, but more like get the flight info and present to them in an interview, same allies with the hotel...

SO... things are starting to look up... now all i need to do is book the appointment and print off as much of the travel info as needed...

Appointment booked... ill be going on the 29th April... which now brings another little problem... i dont know if this is too late for the flight to be booked... hopefully not... however i will be contacting the travel agents next to see if i would still be able to book it... ill find out this week on saturday if it is...

so heres the little run down for then... once i leave the embassy i will head straight to the travel agents to book the flight... providing i actually pass for the visa and that its not too late to book...

so... 29th April is big decision day...

Edited by Sera Otoro