Clicky

Ron Bleac

The Time Travel Thread

In this thread, it's 1912. The place: Southampton. The time: 10th of April, morning.

We are aboard the RMS Titanic.

The goal of this thread is to act, speak and socialize in the typical manner of the time period. Each post moves time forward by approximately half a day. Including the original post. Thus, we have already picked up passengers from Cherbourg and are well on our way towards the Atlantic.

You may commense.

I am Col. John Jacob Astor, traveling with my wife Madeleine Talmadge Astor. We both have our respective servants with us, my manservant, Robbins and my wife's maid, Miss Bidois. I am taking my young wife to the United States, to ensure her child is born on US soil. I was in Europe, to avoid gossip regarding my marriage of a young immigrant girl. Like many officers of my time, I am a man of some means and borne to be part of the immensely wealthy Astor family, and the opportunity to venture forth upon the grandest vessel of the famed White Star line is not one to pass up, especially considering how my wife feels it will make her the talk of society once again. Though we are not "nobles" in the traditional sense, only the best will suit us, so the fine first class passenger cabins are naturally the most appropriate for people of our standing and breeding. You may notice that I am the owner of the famed Astoria hotel of the Waldorf Astoria hotel complex in New York. Thing nothing of it.

titanic_first_class.jpg

A fine room, is it not? However, being the wealthiest man aboard, our rooms are suites, that is, a collection of rooms, so that we may pass freely within our spacious accommodations, or have private social functions with others, in the comfort of our own rooms. Our particular cabins are one of the four ultra-luxurious "millionaire" cabins.

I spend time in the first class smoking room, where I find ample time to discuss politics, exchange stories about my service during the Spanish American War, and enjoy a leisurely pipe in the company of other men of class.

2731765102_2ab5172815.jpg

My wife, however, spends most of her time in private parlors and the main lounge of the ship, spending time with other women, and discussing goodness knows what. At noon, we take a stroll on the promenade together, then take our lunch in the a la carte dining salon. We repeat the same cycle for when we eat dinner and supper. We also spend time with out Airedale Terrier, Kitty, whom we adore.