Clicky

Eliza Yatsenko

20 Dec 2011 - 00:00 ~ 02:45

This is designed as a slight report since I do not see one but it also doubles as a question of sorts. Last night between in the twilight hours (The time put in the description is basically EST.) Though anyway we got hit by four attackers. Billy and three XAF people. It slowly dwindled down to about two before they pulled. My main question [especially for those there] was on the issue of jet packs. Were those standard issue or at least compliant with what we have set? It was a bit confused and wondered on that when I saw that in about 0 to 2 seconds they were pretty much at the max height that our jet packs reach. I had another question about underslung flashes but that got answered last night, but at times seems like if shot at the door (despite it being closed) you could get hit as well. Noticed this on the SW road when we tried to recapture the points.

I feel like I may have put this in the wrong spot ( I know if it was a report it would be ) but since it also doubles as a question I was just curious. Just something I thought about while I was out and about shopping. Though now I must be off to work I just wanted to get this off my mind before it gets buried with other stuff.

Again sorry if I put this in the wrong spot since it's slightly a general question on things I thought it might be right x_x

Don't feel bad about posting your questions here: Questions are good things, and if this is in the wrong place, the forum admins will scoot it to the proper one.

Regarding your questions... It depends. If their jetpacks go higher than the designated allowed height, that's a major concern. If they propel the user -forward- rapidly, more than it moves them upwards, that is a major concern. Underslung FBs are...allowed? I think, though we don't have a ruling officially one way or another on that one (so the jury is likely still out regarding their use). If you notice discrepancies in any enemy weapon, it's better to make a note of it here, and also to your CO or the OIC to ensure it is looked into properly to see if there's a rules violation or possible abuse of our general leniency.

The underslung flashbangs acted that way, because unless an explosive utilizes some form of ray casting, if anyone is inside its radius of effect, it will create said effect regardless of if you're in cover or not. For example, if I fire an artillery shell at you with a 20 meter diameter explosive (hypothetically of course; don't shoot artillery or anything else at comrades) and you're in a bunker with 5 meters of prim between you and the point of impact of the shell, that artillery shell is going to win because you're still within the preset diameter for its explosive radius. Which kinda sucks, when you're taken out by a grenade when you would theoretically have 4 feet of concrete or stone between you and said explosion, but... it's SL combat.

I'm sure a scripter will be able to better explain the specifics of why SL explosions are generally like this.

The underslung flashbangs used by XAF last night were beyond bullshit. They worked more like a shower than a single point of impact and were beyond a 10m radius of impact.

As for your question about explosives... As Agares stated, unless they use ray casting to detect along a possible path, and explosive essentially checks only for avatars within its specified radius. They have no way of knowing if you are behind cover because they are not looking for cover, just avatars. While not the best system, changing to a raycast system would theoretically put the military using it at a disadvantage compared to others not using the system. As such, the transition will most likely not happen, as no one military would trust other militaries enough to do such a thing.