Clicky

Corsi Mousehold

The Symphony of Battle

On occasion when I am helping out a Cadet here and there. Giving the new people the same pointers that were given to me, I have been asked the same questions. What is combat like? Is the fighting really that fun? What do you guys do on raids?

All the questions that I have heard have made me think. I have thought about those questions long and hard but in a more simplified way. What is combat?

It's more than a bunch of people running in with guns blazing and just randomly shooting things. It's practiced. It's disciplined. Every soldier on the stage of battle adding their own sounds of that combat. Every member calling out with their own voice. And it dawned on me. The Iron Symphony. That is battle.

We are an army of musicians each taking our part in harmony and elegance on the battlefield. When our weapons fire and ring out over the war zone we call out to our enemies and let them know who we are. Our voice echoing through the night. The small arms and machine guns raging bullets in a crescendo of warfare with our cannons the fortissimo and our side arms the pianissimo. The tempo of our steel pounding at the walls of the enemies creating the grand crescendo.

What is an Orchestra but several unique people playing instruments of wood, brass, steel, iron and skin. In the Ordo our soldiers are our skin. Our weapons stocks are wood. Our weapons are made of Iron and steel and our bullets covered in brass. They are the same materials that are in any other Symphony.

When we win our song rings louder than any concert hall. And just as every orchestra has a conductor. So does every army. We are the Ordo. Our Imperator the conductor and we, his Orchestra.

Choose your instrument.

The lights dim, our cadre of slick musicians dons sunglasses despite the night. The cool sound of our cool jazz drifts nonchalantly into the streets; the light tapping of our forward guard's snare leads to a crescendo of sound. *CRASH* the cymbal rings out, the frenzy begins. Jetpacking trumpets and blazing-gun saxophones release a torrent of notes. The mortar shells strum a bass line; the screaming Praedas in the sky accent our notes. A soloist begins his turn, rushing into the enemy fortress with an improvised flourish; with a teleport the others join in. A melody of rifle fire rings out; the explosive harmony of our ordinances flesh out our song. Our audience of enemies is overwhelmed by our lightly swung song, our parts subtle and individual, our sound united and brilliant. Then, just as suddenly as the song began, the song ends; the players fade out one by one, leaving our audience in awe. Chaaa... Chaaaa...

*snaps fingers*

I'd use my instrument, but it's broken.

Those fucking kid rebels destroyed it. :(

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFNSVNQqfE

But in all seriousness: Fleet lives on in my heart. Deep in my memories are the massive battles and the battery assaults on the walls of the Alliance Navy's Dorien outpost from high in the sky. Maybe someday it will make a return. I may be a trooper or a pilot until that day, but fleet is where my home is, and I'll sure as hell be there.

Guest Dark (Using Diff Comp, Cant log)

That's not battle anyway.

The true songs of battles in the screams of the victims of murder and war, the fires that burn down cities and towns and the sweet melody of pain and suffering. It's like as though someone plays a note each time a knife cuts into flesh, and a war torn banner is planted into the ground! The whispers of demons and horrors beyond imagination as the war crys of the betrayed and fallen.

The Iron Symphony is a bunch of choir boys.

True songs are sung of slaughter and pillaging >:o Over a cold beer.