Clicky

MikeMurdock McMillan

Problem with graphic's card

I would ask around ,but I need to handle this. Okay. my graphic card is pretty much hot.. as in it's hot to the touch. the fan going at insane speeds sometimes skipping a bit and even with cleaning out the card it does it after a few weeks. I need to ask what should I do? this is the 2ND graphic card my computer had this problem with and I feel I need to buy another one.. any ideas?

I would ask around ,but I need to handle this. Okay. my graphic card is pretty much hot.. as in it's hot to the touch. the fan going at insane speeds sometimes skipping a bit and even with cleaning out the card it does it after a few weeks. I need to ask what should I do? this is the 2ND graphic card my computer had this problem with and I feel I need to buy another one.. any ideas?

It might not be the Card. You might need to buy some better cooling for your PC. I know my Card used to bust out and hit 80+ degrees C when i'd play Modern Warfare 2 for more than 30 minutes, but i managed to adjust the fan speeds on my BIGASS box fans in my box and now things seem to run better. I also have this added program that came with my Card called "ASUS SmartDoctor" that regulates my fan speeds according to internal temperature.

If all else fails, buy bigger fans for the inside. The largest one i've got is my 120mm LED Fan sitting on the back wall of the box by the Motherboard and under my graphics card. That's about as big as it gets until you upgrade to watercooled.

120mm Fan. The LED one i have was $20. It's mostly finding room for the thing that's a problem, since it's bigger than those square paper beer coasters you find at bars.

First of all what card is it? Some cards are fine with temperatures up to 75 degrees celcius, so if it's not having performance issues then it might be normal. If you're having severe performance issues then it might be worth getting the card checked out by the manufacturer if it's still under warranty.

If Lanny's suggestion doesn't solve the problem then there's a chance the thermal grease between your grpahics card processor and it's heat sink has deteriorated. With some cards it's possible to remove the heat sink, clean off the old and apply new thermal grease. I wouldn't reccomend it though unless you're experienced with that sort of thing, as it's pretty senssative stuff and you run a risk of breaking it by tampering with it.

Either way it's prefferable to send it to the manufacturer for repair.