Clicky

Krow Ames

A friendly Ordo PSA!

The following is my view, only, and may or may not reflect the views of other Ordo Personnel.

Hey, everyone. I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular:

The Ordo Imperialis isn't a competition! From E-1 to I-1, we all represent the group equally. People on the outside see an Ordo member and think "That's Ordo." They don't think "That's an E-1 member of Ordo and may not be so well versed in the rules, so I need to take everything said/done with a grain of salt." Remember to be professional during combat and in an allied sim!

I also want to say rank does not mean time = leet. Rank does not mean how many more points you have than other people. Rank is both a privilege and a burden. Every time you gain a rank, you also gain, exponentially, more responsibility to be a good example to those ranked under you.

But most importantly, everyone needs to remember that the enemy is not within our ranks. We're all on the same side and we're all in this together. Acting mean, disrespectful or disruptive doesn't make you cool. It makes you mean, disrespectful and disruptive.

Without the Numerii, we have no fighting force. Without the NCO's, we have no direction for the Numerii, and without officers, the Ordo would have no direction for it's NCO's. We're all very important pieces in this machine.

You can learn many things in Ordo that can apply to your real life, like integrity, honesty, teamwork, respect, and a whole slew of other things. A word on respect: If you can't respect a person, at least respect the rank they hold. We're all guilty of not liking someone, myself included, but we can all better the image of Ordo and keep the gears from grinding by remembering that people DO hold ranks within this organization. As for the other things you can learn from being in Ordo, they're self explanatory.

Ordo is something great, and I'm very proud to be a part of it! I hope all of you are as well.

Now you know! And knowing is half the battle! Ordo Imperialiiiiisss-AH!

I want to clarify, "respect their rank" doesn't just mean low ranks respect high ranks. It means that all ranks respect all other ranks. Officers should respect NCO's for their experience, NCO's should respect Numerii for putting their virtual necks on the line during every e-deployment. And, of course, it should go right back up the chain.

Krow Ames wrote:

You can learn many things in Ordo that can apply to your real life, like integrity, honesty, teamwork, respect, and a whole slew of other things. A word on respect: If you can't respect a person, at least respect the rank they hold. We're all guilty of not liking someone, myself included, but we can all better the image of Ordo and keep the gears from grinding by remembering that people DO hold ranks within this organization. As for the other things you can learn from being in Ordo, they're self explanatory.

I signed up because of this, Well said Krow.

Lairyth Karu wrote:

"They don't think "That's an E-1 member of Ordo and may not be so well versed in the rules, so I need to take everything said/done with a grain of salt.""

-Well, this would be incorrect. Gaining rank gains respect as it shows you've grown up in the military community. Rank matters to those who have not been around long enough to have a legendary reputation such as a few of us over the many years. You are treated with what you have earned.

You misunderstood this part. I mean that people outside of Ordo see an E-1 just the same as they see Aryte. Everything the E-1 does, or Aryte does, is "How Ordo does things" regardless if that's really the way we do things or not.

Lairyth Karu wrote:

"Rank does not mean how many more points you have than other people. Rank is both a privilege and a burden."

-This is both right, and wrong. Sure, it's a privilege, but you earned that privilege and your rank shows that. That is, if you aren't like the other worthless people who claim to have a burden. It's hardly a burden to quite a few who sit around. There are those who are not even high ranking members that do more work for us. Rank does not always show your working limits. Often times people just tell others what to do and stand about, instead of work towards bettering the Ordo, such as Arch was trying to do. But that is another story.

I won't get into Arch's deal because it's said and done. The problem with this is, you don't understand what I mean by "it's a burden." To those who "sit around," they don't want to deal with the burden and truly are poor officers. any way you slice it, they're poor. If they sit around, their men won't know them when it's time for them to lead. The burden is this: Becoming less of a free spirit with every rank. The more you rank, the more you need to be a good example. Less goofing off, but it doesn't mean you can't have a little fun. But an officer can't be a friend to his men... Would you do something a friend ordered you to do? I doubt it, Cobalt. You see the burden, now?

Lairyth Karu wrote:

"Without the NCO's, we have no direction for the Numerii, and without officers, the Ordo would have no direction for it's NCO's. We're all very important pieces in this machine."

-To each his own. I personally do not rely on others to guide me, but guide myself in helping the Ordo. Not wait for others to show me how to. That is what the work force considers lazy.

The work force isn't a military setting. But you DO rely on people to guide you, whether you know it or not. Would you have tried to build a ship if we weren't looking for another? Cobalt, because of your building talents, you're a resource to Ordo. You're more guided than a lot of people in Ordo, as a matter of fact.

Lairyth Karu wrote:

"You can learn many things in Ordo that can apply to your real life, like integrity, honesty, teamwork, respect, and a whole slew of other things."

-Most things like this you should be learning in real life before you come to Second Life, for those who don't, end up getting ejected for disrespect, dishonesty, lack of teamwork, etc. You should not come in with a bad attitude.

Some people don't have the avenue to learn these things. Some people have poor parents, or no parents. Whether you want it to be or not, Ordo is a place where you can better yourself. I've already seen it happen in Diablos; he's no longer that rowdy rebel soldier he was when I first joined up. Damion has found his place in Ordo as a productive member, contrary to some people disliking him when he joined. You see, not knowing "integrity, honest, teamwork, respect" doesn't mean you're going to have a bad attitude when you come in. It means there's room for improvement and it's up to officers and NCO's to help this person who has WILLINGLY signed up for a military experience. Every time someone is ejected for having a bad attitude, it's not that person's failure, but a failure for Ordo. We don't want to get rid of anyone, trust me.

Lairyth Karu wrote:

Now you're probably wondering why I'm picking on you. I don't have a reason, but I noticed many flaws in your speech that needed to be addressed. It is wise to speak from experience and not from what others want to hear.

You noticed many things that you didn't agree with, or were poorly informed on. There were no flaws, particularly because a work like this can't be flawed. It's purely my view, as stated at the very top of the post. If you don't agree with it, you don't have to pay it any attention. For the people who did read it and appreciate me "lecturing" a bit, I thank you.

Edit: I am speaking from experience. Ordo isn't my first rodeo as an officer.

Krow Ames wrote:

But an officer can't be a friend to his men... Would you do something a friend ordered you to do? I doubt it, Cobalt. You see the burden, now?

This is something I'll have to disagree with. While it might promote favoritism if it carries on to at work, if done right there shouldn't be an issue with having friends that are NCO's and officers. When I was in the army there was quite a few people I hung out with on the weekends who outranked me, whether it be fishing, drinking, etc. The point is we knew the work week was different from the weekend and I never had a problem following orders delegated onto me from people I could call a friend. If he's your friend then you shouldn't give him a hard time if he gives you an order.

Lestat Umarov wrote:
Krow Ames wrote:

But an officer can't be a friend to his men... Would you do something a friend ordered you to do? I doubt it, Cobalt. You see the burden, now?

This is something I'll have to disagree with. While it might promote favoritism if it carries on to at work, if done right there shouldn't be an issue with having friends that are NCO's and officers. When I was in the army there was quite a few people I hung out with on the weekends who outranked me, whether it be fishing, drinking, etc. The point is we knew the work week was different from the weekend and I never had a problem following orders delegated onto me from people I could call a friend. If he's your friend then you shouldn't give him a hard time if he gives you an order.

Business based on friendship is worse than friendship based on business. I understand what you're saying and I probably shouldn't have taken that line out of the officer's handbook from Ordo, but I do like it. I suppose favoritism is one of my pet peeves and I just like to see everyone treated equally.

Lairyth Karu wrote:

Ok, yes, this is all opinions based on our experiences, and yes, we have a gap in that area. But I do have a very big problem and disagreement with this;

"The work force isn't a military setting. But you DO rely on people to guide you, whether you know it or not. Would you have tried to build a ship if we weren't looking for another? Cobalt, because of your building talents, you're a resource to Ordo. You're more guided than a lot of people in Ordo, as a matter of fact."

First, as a builder in Second Life, I build on a whim and do it for my own boredom, as it's an easy task for me. Building those ships entertained me for an hour or two. Second, I am not a "resource" to Ordo. I am a friend. I help with builds because none of you have been able to for over a year. No one guides me to do this. Aryte has not once asked of me a favor. Again, I do my duties out of my personal respect and friendship for Aryte and Ordo as a whole. I am and always will be a free spirit in the military community, and my dedicated loyalty to Aryte and Ordo are of my own free will. Being a soulless officer guides you down a path you don't wish to follow. This is good advice.

Also, if you want to call me by another name other than Lairyth, call me Grave. For those of you who didn't know my main identity.

I tend to call you what comes to mind as I'm typing.

If you're calling me a "soulless" officer, I'd like to correct you. I have a structure of set rules and principles that might make me seem a little distant, but I'm actually pretty open and willing to talk to any soldier in Ordo as an equal. I treat everyone equally because I respect that they graduated schola and earned their rank, or have been supporting this group since the beginning.

You did have a reason for "picking" on me, though, Lairyth. You can talk to me in IM's about it, please.

Lairyth Karu wrote:

No reason. I just felt like ranting and this was the first thread. Don't take it personal. It's always interesting to see if people take what I say and make hatred toward me, though. He he. I like getting people wound up, I guess. When in such a mood. Also, I don't IM people about silly stuff like that. :o Didn't target you in particular, but if you think I did, that is a victory. I like to pick on people while I'm off duty.

When you're on these forums, in an Ordo related thread, you're off duty? Somehow, I'm not quite grasping the logic in that.

I don't think you "targeted" me, but I do believe you have a reason. If you want to resolve it and get it behind us, I'm more than willing to speak privately with you. If this really was a "mood" that hit you, steer your browser away from these forums, next time please. There's no reason to bring that here, or even to a thread like this.