Clicky

Mickel Reed

To all of you who are not the best at everything in the Ordo

Hello!

Being in the Ordo means being around some really skilled people. If you're like me, that can be a bit intimidating sometimes. I make light of my shooting a lot, but deep down I guess I sometimes feel afraid that it's actually not good enough and the only reason I'm still in the Ordo is because nobody found out yet. Go ahead and stand between two Praetorians in the next firefight and see what I mean.

Recently I recieved the Architect of Unity merit, which has caused a certain amount of headswell and prancing around in my dress uniform, but my first reaction was actually "why did I get this? I did nothing" and I envisioned Aryte realising his mistake and taking it back. If I hadn't snapped out of it in time I would probably have progressed to imagining him taking it back and subsequently kicking me out of the Ordo in a public ceremony. But I did snap out of it, because I realised that while while I might not have done much I certainly didn't do nothing.

All I did was to take bits of three half finished projects, slap them together, and then add an interface to make it useable. I didn't script a new gun, build a new plane or model a new suit of armor like some of the guys out there. It wasn't even sculpted and I used freebie textures, and I'm certain the code could be written much, much better. But it was something. Just because I can't be the best in the Ordo it doesn't mean I can't be in the Ordo. I can still contribute.

We can all contribute. We all have value.

Think about that the next time you feel bad about yourself. You're still a useful addition to the Ordo. Hell, even my shooting can be a useful addition to the Ordo! I may not be able to hit a running avatar from halfway across the sim but it happens that my shooting is what flushes an opponent out from cover. It's sometimes my shooting that causes an opponent to be pinned down for a better marksman to pick off. And a lot of the time I just annoy the enemy enough that they start firing back at me - forgetting about the Praetorian who's lining up a shot at them.

Only one pilot can be the best pilot in the Ordo, but Astra would be pretty useless with just one pilot. Only one soldier can be the best shot in the Ordo, but we'd be pretty useless on the offense with just one soldier on the ground. And statistically, about half of us are going to be below the median. So yea, maybe you're not the best pilot in the Ordo, or the best shot, or even the best at imitating William Shatner over Ventrilo, but you're still a useful part of the Ordo.

Feel good about yourself.

And if you're ever worried about getting kicked out for being a bad shot, look up at the roof of the base the next firefight... See the guy with the big orange tail and the glasses? Look at him shoot.

They let him stay.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I didn't really read it full, but i mostly saw this. and i thought this is so true.

Only one pilot can be the best pilot in the Ordo, but Astra would be pretty useless with just one pilot. Only one soldier can be the best shot in the Ordo, but we'd be pretty useless on the offense with just one soldier on the ground. And statistically, about half of us are going to be below the median. So yea, maybe you're not the best pilot in the Ordo, or the best shot, or even the best at imitating William Shatner over Ventrilo, but you're still a useful part of the Ordo.