Clicky

Aryte

Ever . . wanted to fly?

"I don't have a high performance machine," is a common deterrent where Astra is concerned.

True, aerial combat begs for higher performance, but Ordo has some great pilots who have "lower end machines" that learn to contend with any lag there may be. There is lag everywhere. While someone with a lower end machine may suffer some performance loss, there will always be those poor sim conditions we encounter frequently. Sim conditions that generate enough server-side lag to slam down any machine.

But, we learn to cope with it.

If you can manage 15-25 FPS on average in a congested situation, you're probably better off than you think. Or rather, suffering just as much as those of us on the lower end of the hardware spectrum.

In short: lag is a part of SL combat, and pilots don't have to be completely free of it to be good.

So, if you're interested in Astra but don't wish to join because you dont think you have the hardware -- reconsider. You cannot know for sure unless you try!

We begin new pilots on the 'trainer.' It's a [very] poor reflection of the actual aircraft we use, but it can give a basic view of what flying is like. Surpassing the trainer reaps the great reward of the real deal. It's fast, it's maneuverable, and it's intense.

If you're a member of another branch who has:

o) a passion for flying

o) a near uncontrollable urge to take off in a plane during an air raid

o) the capacity for self improvement

o) been looking for opportunities of advancement.

Then Astra is probably for you. We will welcome you with open arms.

As a long time pilot within Ordo and SL in general, I will say that yes, if you have trouble running around on foot, piloting is probably not up your alley. But believe it or not, it's not as bad as it looks.

I'm toying with the idea of getting permission to allow anyone interested to give the trainer a try so you all can see if your systems are stable enough to handle flight. This should give anyone who wants to a good idea if they can handle flying or not.

The main reason I didn't join Astra was the fact the elite pilots got different ships then the regulars, as well as the lack of unlocks and equipment.

I'm far too involved with Terra at the moment to switch branches, but for others interested in joining - What's the regulations with switching branches? Does your rank stay, for example?

I originally considered Astra when I joined the Ordo, but back then I didn't think My PC could handle it, plus My previous flight experience in SL was on a craft that I later found out wasn't that good anyway, that ship being the StarTrek inspired Kaneda/Valkyrie.

Though like Dagger I'm too involved with Terra aswell as looking forward to this new arrangement idea for Terra to switch now.

I would like to try it once just to see what its like, as I do sometimes in battle, particularly when Astra is more involved than Terra, with I was up there fighting along side Astra.

I do have a friend who is interested in joining the Ordo who has expressed a major interest in joining Astra, as like Me he wanted to be a pilot when he was younger.

Guest PADI321 Arida

Hey if it's really needed I'd be MORE than happy to help out I'm currently terra/invictus E-3 so somone just send me a IM in world and I'll switch over, sounds like a great experience