Clicky

Aryte

Echelon Union: NOTICE - 1/05/08

Its a pretty common program actually, and works instantaneously, so long as you've recently cleared cache and all that. Seriously Sekonda, the SL client is currently open source for others to modify (as a few others have released alternate versions of the client), so there will never be a way to completely stop what has been done in the past in any way shape or form. The people who did it before may very well have been script kiddies utilizing the LibSL utilities, but it happened regardless of the changes made to SL. Please don't bother thinking that at this time we are somehow 'Safe' from the threat of copybotting, because we aren't and never were, regardless of whether LibSL continues to support the programming.

Yeah uh...it's just fishing the data from the stream as it comes to you, of someone's attachments. With an open-source client you can read exactly how data that's incoming is formatted, where stuff is cached, etc etc, so you can just read directly off the incoming stream to recreate.

We had programs that did similar stuff to allow third-party maps in WoW that showed stuff way out of range of your normal avatar line of sight, because it was just skimming off the incoming data stream.

I only rip textures when I need an old deleted texture from a gun I've made. I also do it to get armor textures and whatnot so I can make mods to my gear. The epaulets I wear are someone else's, only I reuploaded them. They have my name on them, but I wish they didn't. It's extremely easy to steal textures, to the point of absurdity.

In terms of prim copying, all someone needs is your mod rights or an object with mod privs. This is why professional weapon vendors do not generally give out any weapons with mod rights, because with mod combined with GL Intercept, all it takes is a few hours to steal something.

Mind you that there are very legitimate reasons for doing any of these things as I've been put into positions where I've lost my own content (due to LL's terrible ability to keep the perms system in check) and needed to recreate it or otherwise regain it. In most regards, however, these processes are illegal and you may be permanently banned for them if discovered to have used them to ill means. As far as copybotting goes, it is possible to get banned for it outright for any reason, even if used only on your own content. I know someone who had this happen to him, and he was none too pleased, but LL did not give him any leniency.

The original copybot has long since been destroyed. A lot of vendors and sim operators still believe the "!quit" shouters work, but they're being scammed; the copybot those worked on has been disabled entirely by LL, and very few copybots work nowadays. Even if they did, the system would stampede right over those so-called "security systems". Copybots still exist, they're just always changing and most of the more powerful ones are underground and kept within a few friends, which is why Linden Lab isn't able to procure them and reverse engineer them for sabotaging purposes.

Keystone Gray wrote:

I only rip textures when I need an old deleted texture from a gun I've made. I also do it to get armor textures and whatnot so I can make mods to my gear. The epaulets I wear are someone else's, only I reuploaded them. They have my name on them, but I wish they didn't. It's extremely easy to steal textures, to the point of absurdity.

In terms of prim copying, all someone needs is your mod rights or an object with mod privs. This is why professional weapon vendors do not generally give out any weapons with mod rights, because with mod combined with GL Intercept, all it takes is a few hours to steal something.

Mind you that there are very legitimate reasons for doing any of these things as I've been put into positions where I've lost my own content (due to LL's terrible ability to keep the perms system in check) and needed to recreate it or otherwise regain it. In most regards, however, these processes are illegal and you may be permanently banned for them if discovered to have used them to ill means. As far as copybotting goes, it is possible to get banned for it outright for any reason, even if used only on your own content. I know someone who had this happen to him, and he was none too pleased, but LL did not give him any leniency.

The original copybot has long since been destroyed. A lot of vendors and sim operators still believe the "!quit" shouters work, but they're being scammed; the copybot those worked on has been disabled entirely by LL, and very few copybots work nowadays. Even if they did, the system would stampede right over those so-called "security systems". Copybots still exist, they're just always changing and most of the more powerful ones are underground and kept within a few friends, which is why Linden Lab isn't able to procure them and reverse engineer them for sabotaging purposes.

Please don't admit to texture ripping on the forums. e,..,e

Keystone Gray wrote:

Copybots still exist, they're just always changing and most of the more powerful ones are underground and kept within a few friends, which is why Linden Lab isn't able to procure them and reverse engineer them for sabotaging purposes.

Like AIDS