Clicky

Jester Spearmann

The STUPIDITY of Australian Politicians

[rant]

Now there's no Boxing Day holiday

IT takes a brave politician to take away a public holiday from an Australian. Brave or stupid.

But NSW could lose not just one, but two official public holidays this year, with the State Government so far refusing to gazette an extra day off for Boxing Day in line with other states.

And for no other reason than it happens to fall on a Saturday.

The Government yesterday would not commit to guarantee a day off in lieu for Boxing Day, despite all other states declaring an official public holiday for Monday December 28, 2009.

It comes a week after NSW workers learnt they would also lose the Anzac Day long weekend this year for the same reason - April 25 is a Saturday.

The number of official holidays could now fall from 10 to eight.

What the hell is going next? Chrismas

[/endrant]

Edited by Jester Spearmann

Near as I can tell, a problem has arisen that these such holidays have fallen on a Saturday as opposed to a normal weekday, and therefore have not been given an extra day during the week for the holiday. We have similar problems in having these accursed holidays falling on a thursday and not getting a chance at friday off, so boo hoo. I only get the base regulatory days off myself... christmas, thanksgiving, new years, labor day, and Independence day.