Clicky

Kytec Switchblade

Air Superiority

An email I thought worth posting -

In addition to communicating with the local Air Traffic Control, all aircraft in the Persian Gulf AOR are required to give the Iranian Air Defense Radar (military) a ten minute 'heads up' if they will be transiting Iranian airspace.

This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them your call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, and points of origin and destination.

I just flew with a guy who overheard this conversation on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai. It's too good not to pass along. The conversation went something like this...

Air Defense Radar: 'Unknown aircraft at (location unknown), you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

Air Defense Radar: (no response .... total silence)

i lol'd

Air Defense Radar: 'Unknown aircraft at (location unknown), you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

GUNAU, THE IRANIANS WERE CLEARLY SPEAKING ENGLISH. YOU MUST BE PRETTY DUMB TO MISTAKE THAT STUFF FOR IRANESE. :durr:

Were the conversation in Iranese, it would've looked like this:

Air Defense Radar: طائرة مجهولة في (مكان غير معروف) ، وكنت في المجال الجوي الايراني. التعرف على نفسك.

Aircraft: هذه هي الولايات المتحدة والطائرات. وأنا في الأجواء العراقية.

Air Defense Radar: وأنت في المجال الجوي الايراني. إذا كنت لا تغادر مجالنا الجوي سنطلق الطيران!

Aircraft: هذه هي الولايات المتحدة وقوات مشاة البحرية ف 18 مقاتلا. ارسال 'م ، وسوف ننتظر!

Edited by Zrazor Rozenstrauch

No no zraz, it'd be more like this:

Air Defense Radar: طائرة مجهولة في (مكان غير معروف) ، وكنت في المجال الجوي الايراني. التعرف على نفسك.

Aircraft: Huh? Boy do you speak American?

Air Defense Radar: وأنت في المجال الجوي الايراني. إذا كنت لا تغادر مجالنا الجوي سنطلق الطيران!

Aircraft: I can't seem to unnerstan' you over the sound of all yer Jihad this and that.

Air Defense Radar: *facepalm*

No no zraz, it'd be more like this:

Aircraft: I can't seem to unnerstan' you over the sound of all yer Jihad this and that.

Air Defense Radar: *facepalm*

Yeah but that wasn't how it was because the Iranish guys were speaking English American.

If it were in English, it would've been more like this:

Air Defense Radar: I say, guv'nah, you seem to entered our bloody airspace. Please explain this bollocks.

Air Defense Radar: Soz mate, but you're in our airspace and you'd best bugger off, lest we have a row and you get your bum knobbed.

Aircraft: I can't seem to unnerstan' you over the sound of all yer pip-pip teatime this and that.

Air Defense Radar: *crumpets*

Edited by Zrazor Rozenstrauch