Clicky

Trevor Russell

Just another day at work...with tornadoes

0724%20Waterspout%20in%20Daytona%20Beach%20%20(Photo%20by%20Capt.%20Scott%20Dowling%20Volusia%20Beach%20Patrol).JPG

This image was taken by my zone supervisor, Captain Scott Dowling of Volusia County Beach Patrol, Ormond Zone.

I personally was not in a position to take pictures, as I was yelling for people to move away from the water and seek shelter.

This waterspout was to the north of me, between Neptune Ave. and Granada Ave. I was stationed at Granada Ave, as the beach lifeguard in the area. This waterspout did pick up and set down on the beach briefly, roughly 250-400 yards to the north of me, moving south at a slow pace.

By this point I was out of my car, ordering people to seek shelter. We must have had a large influx of foreign tourists, because few of them seemed to listen, as they all wanted to take pictures. Eventually a police officer arrived and was able to assist me in getting people off to the ramp.

I was watching, and if at any time it became obvious that I was in danger, I was prepared to run into the concrete bathroom at moment's notice.

All in all, just another day on the beach.

I love my job.

In hind sight it would've been badass if some crazy guy ran out into the water and started to drown, just so I could go save him, and have an even more epic story to tell.

Apparently there was also another tornado that touched down south of me, a guard told me about it (and heard about it on the news) which picked up an unmanned catamaran sitting on the beach and tossed it across the beach, severely damaging it. Combine that with multiple waterspouts sighted during the storm...yeah. Oh, and another tornado ripped through a mobile home park on the southern side of the county. All funnels aside, by 7 PM, that storm was averaging 3000 lightning strikes per hour at its peak.

And another waterspout destroyed part of the pier in the next county north, just yesterday.

And waterspouts were spotted 4 hours away today, in Tampa Bay.

Seriously, what the fuck. We NEVER get this kind of storm activity