Clicky

Aryte

Unlock System: What counts?

>> The Ordo Imperialis

>> Unlock System: What counts?

As we prepare to make the shift to the new unlock system, the question on everyone’s mind is: so, how do we get points now? What counts toward our unlock acquisition?

Originally, the plan was to be rather insane and keep track of participation elements—like defense, offense, etc. But the logistical element and accuracy of that would be, frankly, rather insane. There is no way to reliably do such: there is not any way to determine who is actually participating and who is just idling. In addition, tracking offensive maneuvers stacks an unfair competition for a practice that is rewarding within itself. In other words, I want to avoid forcing people to squeeze in to the limited offensive opportunities for unlocks.

Participation rating in general is a tricky question: how do you value an action greater than another? Is building a tank the same worth as designing a training program? Is exemplary combat conduct equivalent to good behavior?

The second idea I had was rating time in service. But again . . . how do we go about differentiating active time vs. inactive time? Veterans in service definitely are deserving of some sort of compensation, but does it make sense to stack points dependant on that element?

To be effective, unlock points must be able to be distributed based upon reliably rated attributes with a fair level of accuracy. In addition, the process and maintenance of these points must be able to be performed without an unusually extended amount of effort.

So. What counts? What do we use?

Many hours of deliberation with my alter ego Ruin, and many cups of Starbucks later . . . a viable solution came to mind!

Rate individuals for unlocks based upon weekly or bi-weekly personnel reviews, conducted by command leads. In short, it would be the responsibility of command positions—Terra octet, century, cohors leads; Astra flight leads, etc—to perform an at-large review bi-weekly on the individuals under their command. Forms will be provided, detailing elements of activity, participating, progressive contribution, attitude, presence, etc, etc. Not only will this allow all levels of individuals to receive points, regardless of their individual talents, it will reinforce the extreme necessity of command staff to know their personnel.

There will be a threshold of maximum “experience points” (the stuff you need to reach up to an unlock) per week, so an individual could feasibly only be proficient in a few areas and still reach maximum “exp” per period. For example, someone may not have tons of time to contribute to defense, but they may have a knack at developing proactive elements for the group. So both of them could, in theory, still receive the maximum number of experience points per review.

In addition, these reviews could be handed back to the individuals who are . . being reviewed. This would allow them to get constant feedback on request, with direct accountability with their officers.

For those officers and unit commanders suddenly going “fuuuuuck;” shame, shame! The expectation of communication and unit reviews has been in place for months and months. At least, for Terra it sure has been. Now, you’re simply going to have no way to weasel out of it. <3

Thoughts, questions?

If this is something people like, I can get it hammered out and in place in just a couple days.

Sounds like people are going to have to pay a ton more attention to what people do on base, in order to give people "experience points". So is any one going to be able to recommend someone for experience points or just the leaders?

Clarification for leaders- Octet leaders, Cohors Leaders, Flight Leaders, ect.

Edited by Desereck Creeggan

- Opt in . . [14:29] Scientific Waffle: Vexillarius Frank IMs his commander and asks for a review over the next week or so, and his commander does so, rewarding Frank at the end of the period if Frank has proven his worth.

[14:29] Scientific Waffle: Rather than having commanders attempt to rate those who almost never log in on a biweekly basis.

[14:29] Aryte Vesperia: Well, inactive personnel would easily be handled.

[14:30] Aryte Vesperia: "not active, 0 pts."

[14:30] Merk Thor whispers "reply"

[14:30] Aryte Vesperia: Hm . . I do like the idea of opt-in chances, but how would you, as an octet leader, handle that?

[14:30] Scientific Waffle: Well there could be a maximum number of opt-ins one could have, like 1 or 2 a month...

[14:31] Scientific Waffle: And it would provide focus for browsing through combat reports, talking to people in contact with them...

[14:31] Scientific Waffle: Rather than making this more of a biweekly grind.

[14:31] Merk Thor: I as a lower ranking would never "dare" saying "Hi! Look at me and give me points"

[14:32] Garion Lowenhardt: Sorry to interrupt, but why not make the opt in a chance for bonus XP? That way everyone would be able to get a base XP every 2 weeks, plus a bit extra if they opted for closer scrutiny.

[14:32] Kraa String feels like this is turning into WoW

[14:32] Aryte Vesperia: Exactly my worry, Merk. People would be reluctant.

[14:32] Anlysia Gregoire: You want the review and assessment, the points are just a sideffect of it.

[14:32] Kale Rexen is Online

[14:32] Aryte Vesperia: Hm..

[14:32] Vai Tyran: Aryte, I don't think so. If you're confident you're doing your duty, there should be no shame in havig yourself reviewed.

[14:32] Merk Thor: Not sure what that meens aryte but sounds cool.

[14:33] Vai Tyran: having*

[14:33] Sam Troell is Online

[14:33] Aryte Vesperia: I like the idea of opt in, Waffle.

[14:33] Aryte Vesperia: I do like that.

[14:33] Aryte Vesperia: But how do we handle ensuring members are taking advantage of it?

[14:33] Scientific Waffle: I would prefer it much over a mandated grind every two weeks, which I feel would REDUCE personal communication.

[14:33] Merk Thor: Well instead of me saying "look at me" every week as i wan´t points, my octect leader could just check for me every week

[14:34] Scientific Waffle: And perhaps we could keep track of "last review" in the spreadsheets we maintain.

[14:34] Scientific Waffle: And remind active members with no reviews that they can ask for one.

> reminders, spreadsheet, max of 2 a month.

> promotion req. worksheet.

- Merits . . points bonus?

[14:37] Garion Lowenhardt: I think it'd be a good idea. It'd give newer members opportunity to gain many points quickly and become more adaptive in combat, whereas Officers, who've got more experience and gear by that point anyway, wouldn't need the few points Merits would give them.

> Graduated levels of points.

[14:58] Anlysia Gregoire: As in, how long should it take someone at maximum gain-rate to achieve them? And does it scale upward after each?

[14:58] Ordo Utility HUD v1.4: New contact: Cyphre Iredell

[14:58] Aryte Vesperia: Mmmm.

[14:59] Aryte Vesperia: I honestly haven't worked out the point values. The probability is it'll be graduated.

[14:59] Aryte Vesperia: For example . .

[14:59] jordan Cannoli is Online

[14:59] Aryte Vesperia: 100-250-450, etc.

[15:00] Ordo - Sniper Rifle Locker: 200

[15:00] Ordo - Sniper Rifle Locker: 0;Sniper Rifle;1;1;1;0;0;0

[15:00] Lupus Mielziner is Online

[15:00] Aryte Vesperia: (Assuming that every tier grants you a more valuable unlock-- to remind everyone, there are three levels of unlock points: standard, secondary, special. Standards are used for light weapons, secondary can grab light/explosives, and special is anything."

[15:01] Karlhockey Forte is Online

[15:01] Ordo Utility HUD v1.4: New contact: Crash Silverfall

[15:02] Aryte Vesperia: Dependant upon whether or not there'll be other avenues of gaining 'experience points,' feasibly . . 25 a report? I am really not sure yet.

[15:02] Aryte Vesperia: I'd have to sit down and crunch digits.

[15:03] Aryte Vesperia: I want it to be reflective of people's actual efforts, so someone who's going "omg this is so awesoooomme" and puts a billion hours of effort would receive fair compensation.