Clicky

Agares Tretiak

Praetorian Candidacy: Application Essays

Starting today, I will begin to process Praetorian Candidate Application Essays. The details of the Essay are laid out in the Carta Praetorian. First direct your attention to the Carta, before asking questions.

I will be fairly harsh in my cursory examination of each essay. If it does not meet requirements, it will be denied out of hand. You will have one more chance, afterward, to submit an acceptable essay for the candidacy.

Here are some important things to keep in mind when submitting them:

- Excessive spelling and grammar errors will result in a denial.

- Nothing handwritten. Typed, single or double spaced is fine, but 1 inch margins.

- Make certain you've addressed the subject of the essay thoroughly. If you have not addressed the subject matter properly, you will have your application essay denied.

- Try to avoid listing your merits or why you received them, this will be reviewed if you reach later portions of the trials.

- Make certain you meet other requirements, such as time spent in the Ordo and rank. Otherwise, do not send me an essay unless you have been granted an exception personally, by the Imperator. A faked exception will be detected and you will face severe punishment.

I will begin processing them on receipt. There is a cutoff date for them to be submitted, which is Tuesday the 2nd of March. All late essays will be denied.

If your essay passes a cursory examination, I will notify you. If you're denied the first time, I will provide a reason why.

Format should be .RTF or any various MSWord format. If I can't open the format, I'll let you know, but it will count as a denial. Please direct all essays as attachments to these accounts: [email protected] / [email protected]

Make sure the subject header is "Candidate Application Essay" for the email.

Refer to this thread to ask questions and post a granted exception. Otherwise, I am requesting this thread is pinned and kept fairly clear for the application period.

Thank you all, and good luck!

Just to note a few things, in relation to some valid question I received already:

- Having a Curia record does NOT necessarily preclude you from being a valid applicant. With that said, you will have your Curia record examined closely.

- All essays must be UNDER two(2) pages, and contain a brief history of your service to the Ordo, a few highlights, and the reasons you wish to be a Praetorian.

- If I IM you, letting you know your application was acceptable, this does not mean you are a Praetorian Candidate yet. It means your application will then be passed along for scrutiny by the Evocati, Praefectus, and Imperator. You will then be informed if you are accepted as a Candidate, who will take place in the Trials. Sorry for any confusion!

- More thoroughly developed reasons and explanations to support your reasons in your essays will go a long way towards being the "perfect" essay.

- The Carta Praetorian, once again, can be found in it's majesty, here: Carta Praetorian You want to read section VII, "Training and Induction to the Guard"

Righto!

A few more notes:

- I strongly recommend people spend a day or two figuring out their essays: You only get two shots at this.

- Essay format is not a narrative. You are trying to exemplify your qualities as an individual through your history, your reasons to become a Praetorian, and your reasoning on why you'd make the best Praetorian ever. This means that third person narratives, while interesting, do not really meet the standards of this essay. I will be handing back -any- essay with third person references to themselves, because it does not meet the standards.

- Spellcheck.

- Avoid .txt format documents. They are a nightmare to read. If you can't save anything in .RTF (WordPad) or .doc (MS Word, OpenOffice), contact me and we will work out a comprimise.

- As a major oversight on my part, all essays -should- be in 12 point font, preferably Arial, Times New Roman, or Georgia. I apologize for this oversight on my part.

Applications are closed. Any applications received after the point of this post will be denied immediately. Applicants: You'll be notified via either email, PM, or IM in SL as to the status of your candidacy in the coming week or so. Please do no pester anyone (Especially the Imperator) as to what your status is.

Thank you all.