Clicky

Lestat Umarov

Inquired about getting a Custom Commissar hat...

Hollywood made Commissar hat  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How much will it cost?

• $200
    • $300
    • $400
    • $500
    • $600+

Alright, here's the basic details. I sent out an inquiry to Baron Hats to see how much a professionally made commissar hat would cost, because I'm sick of seeing worthless modified Russian hats. I asked for them to base it off the Forgeworld Death Korps of Krieg Commissar hat. I'll post some ref pics so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

commissara.jpg

commissarb.jpg

commissarc.jpg

GW_KreigCommissar2_small.jpg (Asked for silver color, not gold)

Here's a link to the website so you can check out similar products:

http://www.baronhats.com/

Your guess is as good as mine how much it'll cost...

Alright, I got the quote back the other day and was kindof shocked...

Dear Daniel,

I have now had time to really look at what you would like made, and go over the material and labor costs. We have made similar hats in the past. There is a great deal of time and steps to create these very dramatic hats. To be honest, they are probably outside of your budget, since to hand craft this hat would cost $2500.

I have seen less expensive "knock-off's" from time to time online. They are made in China, and use a material called "Toyo", which is basically paper made to look like wool. The rest of the hat is made of a cardboard with a synthetic covering. If this is something you want for a one time event or a costume, that may be a way to go.

If you have any other questions, or I can be of any more help, please write back and I will be happy to help you.

Best,

Mark Mejia

Owner/Master Hatmaker

Baron Hats

Hollywood's Hatmaker™

Mon-Tue 10:00AM - 4:00PM

Wed-Fri 10:00AM- 5:00PM

Sat 10:30AM - 2:00PM

Closed Sun

1619 West Burbank Blvd.

Burbank CA 91506

818-563-3025

Fax: 818-563-4025

$2500!!! O.o

It's not outside of my budget but it brings up whether I'd even want to spend that much on a hat...I think I'm going to look around a bit for other hat makers.

That is pretty intense... Damn Californians with their inflated hat making prices! >:(.

Makes all of us Californians look all greedy and whatnot.

Jerks. That plug to cheap Chinese knock off's and the whole May be outside of your budget thing was a bit sad as well, Damn Californians and assumptions on budgets.

That is pretty intense... Damn Californians with their inflated hat making prices! >:(.

Makes all of us Californians look all greedy and whatnot.

Jerks. That plug to cheap Chinese knock off's and the whole May be outside of your budget thing was a bit sad as well, Damn Californians and assumptions on budgets.

Yeah, I pretty much told him where to stick it in regards to the budget and cheap chinese knock offs. :/

Glad to hear it, Not entirely sure how a hat man can make themselves that self important, but just my opinion, I suppose it goes with the area he is in.

We desert people avoid becoming self important tools.

>_> maybe thats because we desert people lack talent :O.

Anyway, stick it to the hat man!

Heh, So basically he shat a number. He looked at what you wanted and was like, here I am going to staple an outrageous number to it in hopes he cant pay for it, so I don't have to tell him the reality that I just can't do it.

Phail, thats all I gotta say about Sr. Hatman.

First of all...He's a "Hollywood Hatmaker" He makes hats for movies and celebrities...Of course his price tag is going to be very high. like really you take a plain grey t shirt and its 9.99 put a friggin nike logo on it and it jumps up to 79.99 like really all your buying is his name on your hat nothing more. Now that hat seems to have a metalic peice on it which from my understanding as custom made is going to be expensive, next you have the hat itself. if you look at his store most if not all are very expensive. so by saying that he is just smacking a high price tag on cause he doesen't know how to make one is silly and ignorant. This is a hat maker "of the stars" and last I checked the stars dish out more money than i make in a year on a pair of shoes.

Very good point, and as it's too late to take back my ignorance I must say Very true. I do realize that he may make Hats that are used in movies, and for that I can't fault him for the High prices, Though like the point you made of the gray shirt with the nike logo, The name more or less brings them into a sense of feeling self important. When I said that he couldn't make it, I think it was just an idiot move on my part, as I really didn't elaborate, I let my ignorance shine through, What I was really meaning to say, and probably should have let my brain do the talking instead of my lazy hands, is that he most likely didn't want to put the time into it, Not that he couldn't make it as anything is possible with time, so he figured that the guy looking for the custom hat may be scared off by a price tag that large. You were very right, its much like a commission Full perm job in SL, its going to cost you Far more than it would if you were to buy a mass produced product (not sure what nike and other big name companies excuse is since they generally take a 5 dollar shirt and make 74 dollars off of it).

the reason it is 2500 is because they have 2 options. A.) cast a mold for the metal bits themselves or B.) make the metal bits by hand, either way it is extremely intensive. If you already have the mold and can mass produce them you spread that cost over a million hats and it becomes almost unnoticeable. On top of that, they will have to make a custom design and blueprint model for the hat itself, again where a hat is mass produced it is then mass replicated, also there is no custom material ordering involved, you have plenty of it.

think of it this way, a mold for a car costs ford around 2 million depending on the intricacy

a ford taurus isn't $2,025,000 its 25,000 because they are mass produced

The one zrazor posted is hot, just needs an eagle on it and black fabric not red :o

They can do that. They can do it in any color you like and I believe they do custom emblems.

Also (as is common with companies that advertise on Something Awful), the coupon code "SAGOONS" gets you a 25% discount.

the reason it is 2500 is because they have 2 options. A.) cast a mold for the metal bits themselves or B.) make the metal bits by hand, either way it is extremely intensive. If you already have the mold and can mass produce them you spread that cost over a million hats and it becomes almost unnoticeable. On top of that, they will have to make a custom design and blueprint model for the hat itself, again where a hat is mass produced it is then mass replicated, also there is no custom material ordering involved, you have plenty of it.

think of it this way, a mold for a car costs ford around 2 million depending on the intricacy

a ford taurus isn't $2,025,000 its 25,000 because they are mass produced

I believe this is why Fursuits cost as much as they do in spite of being comprised of $100 worth of material.