Clicky

Aryte

Reminder: Behaviour and Professional Conduct

Although recent events have hardly made a need for me to post something like this, I do feel that . . well, when we're the most complacent with our current standards, it's the best time to remind everyone how important they are! The Ordo has and will always pride itself on the atmosphere we provide, an atmosphere that is based about a fairly rigid (but friendly) idea of professionalism. Conduct itself is something of importance-- that goes without saying, but not conduct that's forced. It should be the purpose and point of all members to behave and cooperate because they want to, not because they're told to.

From my observations, the most common problems faced as of late have been authority based. For example, an NCO trying to tell another member "hey, don't do that." I have seen and heard tales of this going something like:

NCO: Hey, don't do . .

Manuel (I can't use Bob anymore): Don't tell me what to do! You're not an officer!

NCO: ..

A few things to note-- an NCO sure can tell you not do so something, when it is within the parameters of the regulations. But that NCO sure can't "punish" for failure to adhere to that request. Regardless, is it not within that NCO's interest (along with everyone's?) to ensure all comrades are guided appropriately.

When I see an NCO tell another member to stay out of the red zone, I see that as respectful assistance, not authority abuse. That is respectful assistance, professional conduct, and instruction on good behavior. I'd much rather that over said individual not realizing their error and having an officer come down on them.

I think this is long due re-enforcement.

The job of an NCO is not to bark operational commands when not OIC, but it is their job to guide their less experienced peers.

On a side note: Rules are there for a reason, and it's neither clever or funny to try and skirt around them. So don't do it, you'll be wasting alot of people's time for your own stupid amusement...

No-one likes a smartass.

Just a few tips I'd like to offer on encouraging good behavior and proper enforcement.

Of course, every situation differs, but the following is a nice, quiet, and professional way to go about respectful assistance concerning protocol:

Preferably, IM the person and talk to them privately. Talking over COMs only draws attention to the person and the situation group wide. This can be disruptive and someone may not feel great being in the spotlight, either. Although, some situations dictate using COMs.

Saying "so-and-so, put on your uniform now," can be interpreted in a bossy tone, which can put off people. Saying, "you are out of uniform at the moment," has a different inherent tone. It also draws attention to the individual's error, which gives them the ability to correct on their own without a verbal command.

So, operating in such a manner will prevent adversarial, "you cannot boss me around because" responses, even though people shouldn't talk back like that in the first place whether you are an NCO or an officer. It is possible that someone will break protocol unintentionally or will fix the situation in a heartbeat if attention was called to it politely. This approach is appropriate for some situations in the sense that it garners better reception not only for the person enforcing the protocol, but for the protocol itself.

In the instance that an infraction is severe or a repeat offense ... well, those would be situations where you would approach an individual's superior officer or submit an incident report form if it calls for it. Or, be more assertive. Whatever the situation dictates best.

Be courteous. I prefer Sir, Ma'am, Mr./Ms./Mrs. I usually refer to enlisted and NCOs as Mr. And Ms., Though I have also been known to do so for officers more or less my peer (when I was an officer). Otherwise, Sir and Ma'am are appropriate.

Make sure the rules are on your side. If you're not sure what they're doing is wrong, or aren't clear on the regulations, check them before saying anything.

Combat and defense infractions that threaten the defense should be referred to the OIC, if possible.

I recommend memorizing the handbook.

Don't flip out if a person doesn't follow your suggestion or order right away. Give them some time.

If they refuse outright, I'd personally, as an NCO nod and say "That's too bad" and report it to your or their superior officer if it's an infraction that really warrants their attention. If they've got a creepy pink bunny hat on you probably want to avoid running to the nearest officer and complaining. Bring it up with any other reports you may have about activity, etc, if you must.

Severe infractions of course should be probably handled by a CIR.

Really severe infractions should be immediately reported to the nearest officer, who will handle the situation from that point forward. This is things like active sedition, conspiracy to commit a mutiny, out and out heretical speech against the Imperator or the Ordo in general, visibly supporting an enemy in combat against the Ordo, etc. Praetorians will respond swiftly, I believe.

I often use the point "now" at the end, to make sure people see it, because if someone sees "Get on the radar, now." they go ":o did he just say that?" which draws attention to whatever has been said, so it gets seen to much faster than casualy saying it and people go "in a sec".

NCOs are meant to be mild policy enforcers in Ordo though, they see an infraction, steer the individual in the correct path, administer a slight punishment if necessary (1 lap around the sim), and even go up the CoC or Curia Report it.

At least thats what I've read and been told for a while now, feel free to correct me.

Edited by Desereck Creeggan

"A few things to note-- an NCO sure can tell you not do so something, when it is within the parameters of the regulations. But that NCO sure can't "punish" for failure to adhere to that request. Regardless, is it not within that NCO's interest (along with everyone's?) to ensure all comrades are guided appropriately."

NCOs may not administer punishment. Clearly stated.