Clicky

Foxers

Schola Online System: Suggestion

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section, didn't know if it belonged in Schola or not so I posted it here.

Based on the observation of the weeks I have been a Schola Magister, I have been IM'd outside and inside of base by Cadets requesting if they could take a class. This hasn't been a problem, for me at least, but I feel that it would be nice for Cadets to know if Magisters are occupied or available for training - saving them the discomforting feeling that they've been denied training or bothered the Magisters.

I want to throw a suggestion that an 'Online Availability for Training' system be setup for the Cadets. A HUD or a line of boxes somewhere accessible for the Cadets be available for Cadets to look and see who they can ask for training.

The idea sort of works like this.

All Magisters of Schola will be able to click on an 'Object' [Or whatever, not being an advanced scripter I can only explain in basic terms]

- Clicking on this will signify that they are available for teaching, or are on duty and can teach if paged. ACTIVE

- Those who do not click will signify that either they are not able to teach, busy, offline, already teaching, or off base. INACTIVE

- Those who have clicked can also click the 'Object' again, disactivating their ACTIVE status.

*If made into a HUD, the Cadets can get a list showing who is ACTIVE or INACTIVE and will be constantly updated based on whether Magisters activate their avalaibility or not.

BENEFITS that this possible system be made:

Cadets will have a way to know who they can ask if they want training.

Active and Inactive Magisters can be recorded, therefore showing the overall rate of how many Magisters are online and available to teach Schola.

This will avoid Cadets constantly IM'ing Magisters to see if they are online or offline.

Where did I get this idea?

In the past when I was a helper to a group, community, I helped people who were new to Second Life and we used this system for people who needed help would click on a box and it would page the person that they have clicked the 'Help' box. If they were online the box would show that the user was online, but the box also had the option to be deactivated should said 'Helper' be occupied in something that he/she could not put their attention off of to help a new account.

A better idea that wouldn't cause any lag whatsoever would be more of an In/Out board, not an online/offline board of magisters who can do training. Those that are online and on base can place themselves as 'available' for anyone wondering, yet unaware as to who might be available. Also works if you leave base temporarily to do something and are still available for training.

A better idea that wouldn't cause any lag whatsoever would be more of an In/Out board, not an online/offline board of magisters who can do training. Those that are online and on base can place themselves as 'available' for anyone wondering, yet unaware as to who might be available. Also works if you leave base temporarily to do something and are still available for training.

People would set up and forget, and a lot of guys are only around for short time bursts before dropping for things like MW2.

I have an alternative, but it may seen like a shitpost. An overly complicated system for such a simple issue should not be needed for this. Personally I think it's perfectly fine for a Cadet to IM a magister and politely ask them about their availability instead of using a pager. That way the Magister is not just someone who runs over and says long words, but the humanity of the process remains. Also if it's too hard to take that someone IMs you offbase then boohoo.

Perhaps I'm a dirty commie, however. Just my 2cents.

That's no alternative, plus its not a question of taking IM's off base unpleasantly or not. It saves time for the Cadets so they can know who to contact right away, instead of listing every single Magister they see in the group. It's not for my personal benefit- its for every Magister and Cadet benefit.

I'm having a word with a few scripters, and I'll come up with the drafts and show them to Aryte. He's seen this idea and liked it. :[ Hence why my brain is at Level 4.

I am half way done with the scripting, the only thing remaining is the memory cache of who's available and who isn't. I'll be contacting Inoue about it later today, and get it out hopefully by tomarrow for review. I might end up scrapping the whole thing if what I'm trying to do is not doable, and go back to the basic concept of a board with all the magister's names on it, and they're either green or red depending upon activity, and there can be a box they can click to get the entire list of who's available.