Clicky

Kastrenzo Benelli

How much has Weaponry and combat changed?

I've been in the military scene for something like 2.5 years, starting out as a Mercz Gwunt, when I started, I was taught that it was OK to use dead/void space to your advantage, Wireframe, ARC and Show look at was A-OK. And it was almost a miracle to see an engagement that didnt involve someone getting banned. Obviously that's not the case today, Most of these things have been taboo'ed and shunned upon.

Weaponry on the other hand has gotten more and more advanced, but more unfair aswell. Explosions are getting larger, taking cover is pretty much useless now with the combonation of bad physics and simple arrogance of those who shoot through it. Machine-gun toting jetpackers now rival the capabilities of fighter aircraft. And trying to shoot someone with a basic rifle at medium range is almost suicide because you'll be showered in a hail of giant automatic shotgun bullets.

How do you think things are different today than before?

Objectives have played a big part. When i used to play SL it was just a case of going over and shooting the hell into each other, and as their were no set ways of winning, most of the time armies just said they won even if they didn't do well. Whereas when i came back about 5 months ago, theirs objectives, which have changed a lot of things.

In my view, certain blatantly unfair technologies and tactics have thankfully faded away. I remember, for example, defending Badnarik a long time ago from 39th's flying mechs, which seemed content to fly around with infinite speed/maneuverability whilst shelling the spawn area with all manners of explosives. One needs only say the words "Spartan Mech" to conjure images of prim spam and sim-killing scripts. It's also no longer seen as a legitimate tactic by most respectable militaries to simply flood an enemy sim with as many people as you can muster (outnumbering the enemy five times over), and combat has for the most part become more civil (the community is now in nearly unanimous agreement that the point of combat should be to have fair fun on all sides, as opposed to demoralizing the enemy and otherwise trying to inflict damage beyond bullets).

There always have been and always will be technologies and weaponry that are blatantly unfair, but I feel that for the most part it's only more noticeable because the rest of combat has matured while weaponry, in many aspects, remains somewhat immature (particularly with militaries who continue to adopt an immature mindset towards combat itself).

Objectives have really improved things for me. It's just a hell of a lot more fun to go to a sim and try to achieve something rather than just shoot people. Because like in any FPS there's really no point in shooting people - they just keep coming back.

Sparta... now that brings back memories. Faint ones from when I first started with this combat thing. They disappeared not long after.

I remember for a while there it seemed to me close combat was the thing. Everyone had these knives that just spawned killprims on everyone within five meters when you pressed the crouch key... except some armies that had those on automatic!

Vastly in some respects.

Tactics have shifted from whomever fields the most insane nukes and shield-using jerk-faced kids to who has A) the most numbers or B) the quickest route to bantown.

But we're still all jerks and assholes.

Except Aryte <3.

Weapons have improved in general (over, say, Sirlor scripting) and the general bar has been raised in terms of cooperation and professionalism, even in the dregs and micro-militaries.

Progress doesn't seem like much when compared to where we want to go, but looking at where we came from, it's been a fascinating journey so far, and a greater distance than we may generally appreciate.

Tanks have added to Combat, but now people are looking to fuck them up by making everything atni-tank

Guns are getting more effecient, but people are using that as an excuse to spam more.

Jetpacks, Dodgerolls. GTFO please.

I'm an old style person when it comes to combat.

A simple, non-spammy rifle (with a sensible mag size and reload time). My grenade HUD, and my Mini-Map.

I love my tanks and my artillery, but I am perfectly happy without them.

I remember having whole conversations with an AN Lt while we were waiting for physlock to stop and floating in mid air amidst 2 arrays of different colored bullets, in retrospect physlocking was a great socializer ..

Auto turrets have pretty much left the field thankfully, I remember Timmahy's Praeda being a revolution in air combat maneuverability as everyone was still using hammerhead.

As well as Fega's plane before that .. forgot the name but i think i still have it >.>

Sculpty's are the new shiny.. as well as flexi prim antenna's =p

Introduction of jetpacks to get around chokepoints and walls, but imo there should be a more defined standard. Like someone should make a script and this script should be the mandatory script for every jetpack fielded by everyone.

Our daily routine back in Venuma and Macaroth consisted of fending off griefers, griefers arn't that common anymore i believe, other then the occasional tard who ran into a freebie box of nukes =p