Clicky

Cygna

Caring for Your Introvert (Jonathan Rauch)

That is a good article. I relate to it ENTIRELY (as I am sure many of us do). Interestingly, Second Life attracts the introverts. As much as one would think that the community would drive away the introverts, in fact it does not. In general, an introvert may find the physical detachment more appealing, as well as the mobility, and, most of all, the ability to turn it off. In contrast, an extrovert (as many of my extroverted friends do) may find the lack of physical connection rather cold. In fact, most people I know do not understand why I spend so much time in online reactions.

QUOTED FROM ARTICLE

"""Are introverts arrogant? Hardly. I suppose this common misconception has to do with our being more intelligent, more reflective, more independent, more level-headed, more refined, and more sensitive than extroverts. Also, it is probably due to our lack of small talk, a lack that extroverts often mistake for disdain. We tend to think before talking, whereas extroverts tend to think by talking, which is why their meetings never last less than six hours. "Introverts," writes a perceptive fellow named Thomas P. Crouser, in an online review of a recent book called Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money? (I'm not making that up, either), "are driven to distraction by the semi-internal dialogue extroverts tend to conduct. Introverts don't outwardly complain, instead roll their eyes and silently curse the darkness." Just so.

The worst of it is that extroverts have no idea of the torment they put us through. Sometimes, as we gasp for air amid the fog of their 98-percent-content-free talk, we wonder if extroverts even bother to listen to themselves. Still, we endure stoically, because the etiquette books

Keystone Gray wrote:

And this is yet another reason why I love Second Life as much as I do; it gives people of all socializing backgrounds the chance to be themselves.

Well first off, it is good to have a place where we can talk shit and not get beat up.

HOWEVER, it is absolutely integral to have good social skills in real life, not only for your buttsecks and vagsecks needs, but in the professional world as well. Also, how many people actually are themselves on sl? Last time i checked i wasn't a shape shifting furry anteater with a huge vagina-penis. Nor am i a huge norse man (i'm big but not 8 foot 2 4000000 lbs with a evil beard).

But then again, alot of you guys, where we to meet in real life, i'd never have met, mostly due to your social barriers, and while that sounds sorta mean, i' m actually happy to have met most of you, reguardless of the medium of our communication. Hell there are some of you i consider friends just as much as i consider my RL friends. You know who you are. <3 (except intus)

I've read this article before.

Frankly, I found it to be arrogant.

Torture? I don't think every encounter with an extrovert is such, it can be quite a relief from sitting in a dark room all day thinking about how to execute plans of devious subterfuge of such subtle and cunning design that they pass unnoticed by all but the most keen observer.

Anyway, even I grow bored of myself.

Tiridates Mikadze wrote:

Torture?

Interaction with 90% people in real life is extremely burdensome to me; even perhaps torturous.

It's a combination of things, mostly very misanthropic-related:

-Unfunny attempts at being funny.

-The utter immaturity.

-Shallowness.

-Needyness.

-Whinyness.

-The bland converse that spews from people with these traits. (Most odn't know any better.)

-The way some people attempt to understand you before they get to know you.

But this only goes as far as 90% of people; most, if not all of you, are in the other category. That's probably because it takes an intelligent person to enjoy something like Second Life.

I'm not bashing extroverts, I'm merely commenting on the human condition (ignorance is bliss). If introverts did run the world it would be a very quiet and enjoyable place, however there would be a lot of subterfuge and plotting behind the scenes because introverts tend to put a lot more thought into things.

Aelus Janus wrote:
Tiridates Mikadze wrote:

Torture?

Interaction with 90% people in real life is extremely burdensome to me; even perhaps torturous.

It's a combination of things, mostly very misanthropic-related:

-Unfunny attempts at being funny.

-The utter immaturity.

-Shallowness.

-Needyness.

-Whinyness.

-The bland converse that spews from people with these traits. (Most odn't know any better.)

-The way some people attempt to understand you before they get to know you.

But this only goes as far as 90% of people; most, if not all of you, are in the other category. That's probably because it takes an intelligent person to enjoy something like Second Life.

I'm not bashing extroverts, I'm merely commenting on the human condition (ignorance is bliss). If introverts did run the world it would be a very quiet and enjoyable place, however there would be a lot of subterfuge and plotting behind the scenes because introverts tend to put a lot more thought into things.

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Basically, the general open, talkative, and friendly population can seem more annoying than good. For me, it stems from the content of their conversations, what they consider important, and the lack of thought in some of the things they say. Basically, save for exceptions such as the extroverts who may peruse this forum, they sound simple. As if there's nothing more to them than who won the big game this weekend and who their latest lay was. Now, it could just be my generation or age group, but I've seen examples of some pretty shallow older people, too.

To me, it's honestly how people can think they way they do -- without ever wanting to sit and contemplate why they think that way, or why the rest of the world perceives things the way it does. They seem happy with how things are. Which, technically, could be a good thing. Maybe they have less stress, not fussing over or talking to themselves religiously about whatever happens to be the conundrum at the moment.

I agree with a lot of the feelings that introverts have in that article; being it feeling exhausted after being around other people and having to retreat to my room, or wondering why the hell people always ask me, "What's wrong?" when I'm just staring off into space. Unless I'm bawling my eyes out or straggling a kitten, nothing is wrong. Although they're just attempting to be "caring" and aware, it's more annoying than helpful for some reason.

But yeah, sorry for rambling. It's late and I'm bored.

I don't know how to comment on my position as an introvert. I'm sure my psychologist has a file six or seven inches thick that could properly describe me though.

I am however admittedly prone to instances of random extroverted and off the wall actions or statements. This I can blame on one person, and only one person, I'm looking at you GUNAU.

Jayce Iredell wrote:

I don't know how to comment on my position as an introvert. I'm sure my psychologist has a file six or seven inches thick that could properly describe me though.

I am however admittedly prone to instances of random extroverted and off the wall actions or statements. This I can blame on one person, and only one person, I'm looking at you GUNAU.

Don't get me wrong, I think that talking with most people is a chore.

My idea of a conversation opener is "What do you believe is the meaning of life?" or "Have you heard the latest on Quantum Theory?" and even "After careful examination of Victor Frankl's theories and system of psychotherapy, do you to believe his positive-existentialist position is more relevant today than the Power dynamic driven theories of Adler?".

Tedious, boring, irritating, and sometimes, yes, even painful. But torture implies by it's very nature conscious intent and cruelty, and seems grossly exaggerated for the mundane, mind numbing ignorance and banality that most people muster.

The arrogance is the assumption that extroverts are incapable or unwilling to achieve more, and the tone of the entire article is somewhat snide, definitely elitist, and fairly snobbish.

I loathe those qualities in anyone, and I'd hate to believe than indulging in them would do us any good.

As for the world being lead by introverts, I couldn't honestly say I'd prefer that, as all people, introvert or not, are assholes, bigots, imbeciles and mind-numbingly stupid in capacity, if not in action. We'd probably be no better off, sadly.

Gunau Sodwind wrote:

I like bein stupid, it means i git to think less and not get learned enough. and while i think tiridates is a sexy man, he uses big words that make my caveman brain want to beat him with stick will he stop talking. ug ug ug. extrovert dumb.