Clicky

Mark Karlfeldt

NEOTOKYO°

r14cr.jpg

> Links <

NEOTOKYO° HQ - Main Website

NEOTOKYO° - Download (Remember to get both the client and the patch)

NEOTOKYO° - Official Forum

[center]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MOh3xYPrYF8

About NEOTOKYO°

NEOTOKYO° is a first-person shooter Source Engine mod started in 2004 and released in 2008 by Studio RADI-8, based on the Ghost in the Shell universe by Masamune Shirow. The mod provides "a visceral & realistic combat experience in a rich futuristic setting". While NEOTOKYO° had a modestly successful beginning, it was overshadowed by other major videogame releases around the same time, and its playerbase dwindled rapidly.

In the NEOTOKYO° universe, there are two rival factions vying for control of a futuristic Japan, the NSF (National Security Forces) who are essentially government special forces, and the Jinrai, a group of ultranationalists who wish to gain control of Japan and bring it back to the time where it exerted foreign influence through military power.

Nowadays, the mod is kept alive only by a very small, but loyal fanbase, despite RADI-8 having essentially abandoned future updates and support. Be forewarned that if you decide to pick up this game, don't expect many servers to be active outside of peak hour (roughly 6PM - 12AM Pacific Standard Time). The number of active servers is also very small.

How to Play NEOTOKYO°

NEOTOKYO° is similar to Counterstrike, in that it is played in rounds in a team vs. team based scenario. The objective of most maps is to either eliminate all of the enemy team, or capture the "Ghost" and bring it to an evacuation zone.

At the start of each round, you are presented with the option to choose your class (recon, assault or support), your character model, and your weapon. New weapons are unlocked over the course of a map by killing enemies. Capturing the Ghost gives everyone on your team an unlock point.

The Recon class is light but fast - it has the ability to turn invisible (cloak) for an extended period of time, can sprint indefinitely, and can jump alarming distances. This makes it perfect for hit-and-run type gameplay, flanking your enemy and mowing them down in the back, then hiding using your cloak. Recons carry the KGH-5 pistol as a sidearm, and a single, extremely powerful detpack which can be detonated remotely. You also have nightvision, but it's essentially useless.

The Assault class is your all-rounder - it can cloak for a small amount of time, can sprint for a limited period, but has the ability to carry some of the best weapons in the game. You'll want to use an Assault as an ambusher, especially if you gain access to the incredibly powerful SRS BP308 sniper rifle, or the Bursebo AA-12 automatic shotgun. Assaults carry the Tachi pistol which can be fired in burst, and a frag grenade (which is, arguably, the best part about being Assault. Frags rape everything). Assaults also get Motion Vision, which highlights moving enemies and objects.

The Support is the tank - it can take more damage than other classes, and is slow as your grandmother. It cannot cloak or sprint at all, but it makes up for this by being able to soak up damage. Headshots do not affect Supports. If you're new to NEOTOKYO°, I would suggest starting with the Support, as it's the easiest to pick up and play. Supports, however, have a limited weapon selection, but they carry the powerful KLYA-9 revolver, and two smoke grenades. They also have Thermal Vision, highlighting all uncloaked enemies, and letting them see through smoke grenades.

The Ghost (aka robo-titties) is the "flag" of NEOTOKYO°, with a twist. At the start of each round it is placed in a random position on the map, and both teams will vie for control of it. Now, the twist - picking up the Ghost will replace your primary weapon, but at the same time, if you hold the Ghost (pressing your primary weapon key) you will gain the ability to see your enemy via sattelite uplink, through walls, to a distance of 50 metres. Alternatively, the ghost will also make a beeping noise which will rise in frequency and urgency based on how close an enemy is.

Thus, if you decide to capture the Ghost, it is vitally important that you have the support of your teammates, and that you communicate to them exactly where the enemy is - after all, if you have the ghost, you're essentially defenceless by yourself.

All this sounds very cut and dry, you might say. What exactly makes NEOTOKYO° so special?

Honestly? The art style.

NEOTOKYO° was made so pretty that it was nearly impossible for me to get frusturated with it. I could stare at the scenery of the maps forever and never get tired of it. Everything has been painstakingly detailed with labour of love, and it is evident everywhere you look in the game.

Gameplay Tips

> Remember to aim your shots, press the Aim button (right mouse button by default) to zoom in on your target and make shots more accurate. You will move slower while doing this, however.

> Lean! Leaning exposes far less of your profile than simply running around a corner.

> Be cautious. Listen for footsteps. Check your back. Stay with your teammates. Be aware at all times. NEOTOKYO° can be unforgiving.

> As a Support, use your smoke grenades to good effect. Throw them ahead of you and activate your Thermal vision to see enemies right through it.

> As a Recon, use your sprint-jump to escape from sticky situations in a hurry. You'll be almost invincible while travelling so fast. Also, put your detpack on the Ghost if you can, in case the enemy captures it, you can blow them to kibble.

> As an Assault, never forget your frag grenade. It will fuck your enemies' mothers, and not call the next morning. Supports will fear you, because they're so slow they'll rarely be able to evade a frag before it detonates.

> The weapon you're carrying affects your movement speed. If you need to speed up, equip your secondary or your knife.

> Join a Squad the first thing you do. You'll automatically get a free weapon unlock if you do.

> If you capture the Ghost, use your mic to communicate to your teammates! There's nothing more frusturating than a Ghost carrier who tries to type the enemy position, inevitably getting raped.

> There is bullet penetration. Keep this in mind if you're carrying the Ghost, as enemies will be able to see your general area through walls, and will shoot you if you're behind something they can penetrate.

3007708738_270965f4ae_z.jpg?zz=1

Ed Harrison, an Australian composer, created a soundtrack for NEOTOKYO° over the course of its development. While only a select few pieces were used in the final game, the entire soundtrack can be bought online, and it very much worth it. Here are a few of my favourites.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4p87Q1sQNw
/>http://youtube.com/watch?v=bm8mpq2VYFk
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9408tkGTNo

Hurp. Trying to figure out how to play the game.

edit: bastards and their between the lines "u need game wif surce code"

Won't be able to play it under my main steam account since I have HL2:DM on a different account which I hope I can remember the password to it.

I'm stupid. Ignore me.

I think I have everyone on my friends list, but if not, I can be found in the Ordo steam group and my account name is ManticoreRace

You need to have Source SDK 2006 installed to play NEOTOKYO.

I know. I figured it out. It was because my Nvidia Drivers were out of date. :D

Just got out of a really nice game with some folks. Once you get the hang of the game and find a class / weapon combo you like, it becomes a really big trip.

I personally enjoy Assault, with the MX-5, the AA-13 or that M4 knockoff you get at the start. No silencers either.

Silencers are only useful if you're Recon (where you might not even get the unsilenced versions) or a stealthy Assault. They do noticeably less damage then the unsilenced versions, and the gain in accuracy isn't enough to really justify it.

I usually roll as an Assault with the m14 or mx, and might switch to support once I have the LMG.