Clicky

Nakita

Game Suggestions needed

As a footnote, this is not a game suggestion for me but rather for my dad.

I am looking to try and get him a game to help with his boredom at times out where he is living right now. He has always been a fan of the Civilizations game series, so that is a good genre to stick with.

There are a few requirements to try and hold to:

Easily Paused: He is out taking care of my grandparents, so he has to be able to get up and handle that and be able to come back easily.

Minimal Internet connection needed: Pretty much the biggest hurdle. He has a Galaxy tab he hotspots out in Nebraska, it is slow and not all that great, so a game that doesn't require a connection is a must.

Not highly graphically taxing: He has a laptop, not amazing graphics so it needs to be lowish key.

Other than that, open for suggestions.

Masters of Orion II is VERY old, but still rather amazing. III is doable, BUT you need to know how to mod hte crap out of it.

Civ3 is still considered the crowning achievement among the Civ community, BUT I havent heard how people are responding to 5 yet, I only know 4 was pretty much universally hated. BUT agian, Civ3 is best with mods and downloads (which are tremendously easy to obtain and install)

SimCity 4... I mean it IS frustrating like all SimCity games are (BUT damn is it amazing once your city is thriving), BUT hte level of detail is rather astounding, and since I havent played CitiesXL.. I cant compare.

Fallout 1 or 2 (or even Tactics) may be options, may help him branch out his game style. VERY old games yes, but turn based, and still rather deep storylines that he may appreciate.

The Settlers series may be fun for him... its more real time than the Civ series to be sure, and I think I have 7. Yes 7. First one I played of the series, whoda thunk there'd be so many?

Disciples may be a good choice. I think Disciples 3 is out now. These are games like Heroes of Might and Magic in terms of how they play, so very good options.

And yes I have to recomend Heros of Might and Magic. At least the older versions I played (havent played newer ones). These would be exactly like what your father is looking for, turn based.. though not really alot of micromanagement.

BUT if you really want to "give him what he asked for"... Space Empires. 4 was prehaps one of the greatest successes, even if it was graphicly simple, the micromanagement of a space empire of 100 planets, with thousands of ships an star bases.. was intense. Could take you HOURS to process a single turn. 5 was VERY good as well, but has alot heavier graphics and processing requirements that even I have trouble running. (its amazing how intensive 6 spherewolds spread out among different systems, when only one is visible at a time, can be on your pc). In these games, you go from your first manned interplanetary ships, all the way to domination of a region of space and the construction of stellar objects (ring and sphere wolds), hell even stellar manipulation! (WAR. we blow up your stars now, make zem.. black holes! is okay doh... we destroy them vhen var is ofer... make spehrewolds there for us to liff on!). The modding potential of this game is astronomical, since both 4 and 5 work off bmps and text files. EVERY detail, from the interface graphics, the various races you have playing against, the planets and other stellar features, the sounds, and how many of what, is all modable.