Clicky

CrescentSnow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Why 'unify color to chest piece' is gone, and what's next

unified_chestpiece_131x99.jpg

Few of our systems seem to have generated as much passion as our 'Unify Color to Chest Piece' system. So, I'd like to shed a bit of light onto exactly what this system is, what happened to it and what is in store for it in the future.

Pretty much from the start of the project, one of our goals was to solve the 'mismatched color' issue that exists in many MMORPGs. This initiative has actually been driven directly by James Ohlen, our Game Director, as this is an issue close to his heart.

Now, it is useful to understand that when artists create a new piece of armor, they always create it as part of a set. A certain pair of pants, for example, is thematically meant to go with a specific chest armor, gloves, boots, bracers and helmet. If the players always put on full sets, they would look very good indeed and the colors from the different pieces would complement each other. Of course, at any given level, players have access to many such sets and wear bits and pieces from multiple sources. Now, in
Star Wars
™: The Old Republic™, we have created sets that, in many cases, are quite compatible with each other. You'll notice that, for example, Jedi Knight outfits use a lot of earthy colors that work quite well together regardless of which set they come from. Unfortunately, this is not always true – the Trooper is a good example of a class that does not look its best with mismatched pieces.

To solve this we created an option called 'Unify color to chest piece', which we also called 'Color Match'. Once turned on, the option automatically matched the color of any equipped piece of armor to the color scheme of the chest piece. This option was very popular with our testers and did solve the color clash problem, but not without introducing some issues.

While we have a policy not to give details on a system in progress, I do want to talk a little about the worst design issue we encountered. As implemented, Color Match had a subtle but ultimately perverse effect: from the moment it was turned on, the player would perceive far less diversity in their loot. In some cases, to be honest, there are only so many differences we can create between two pairs of boots apart from their color scheme. Take away their color differences - thanks to the Color Match system - and you are left with a game that feels a bit less rewarding; where, sometimes, putting on your exciting new gear barely changes the appearance of the character. Depending on your personal preferences and your play style, this may or may not seem like much... but an MMO is a complex system of challenges and rewards and, as designers, we must stay vigilant in that regard.

So, anyway, the good news is that we are not only committed to solving the color clashing problem, we want to actually improve on the Color Matching system players experienced during Game Testing.

The bad news is... well, this won't be in for launch. The system we are currently working on isn't quite done yet and has many dependencies. After taking a hard look, we decided it would be preferable to keep Color Matching turned off for launch rather than try to do a potentially messy post-launch conversion. If anything, the live changes we made during testing to other systems (like the cover system or the item modification system) have shown us how confusing switching things under people's noses can be.

This wasn't exactly an easy decision – we know how popular the feature is and how eager and vocal the community has been for its return. So, I humbly ask for your patience. The feature (or, to be exact, something I consider a better version of the feature) will return. The next time you find a particularly bad combination of armor pieces, take some screenshots - and hopefully in a few months (as always, no deadline is guaranteed), you’ll be able to tell new players "Back in my day, we had to wear those orange pants with purple boots! Uphill! Both ways! In the snow!"

As always, I’m very interested in hearing from you... I have (so far) managed to read every single post on the Item Modification system and will hopefully be able to post a follow up clarifying any concerns and questions that you have.

Emmanuel
Edited by Xoza Tyron

Only other option is allowing you to color your own clothing, or match your clothing to any piece you get, so I don't mind! Even though we all know It'll be all white for me! :laugh:

...and I think I like Burr's calculator better, it's far more stable.

Edited by Xoza Tyron

In Warhammer Online, they had a color system. You could color it yourself with dye. That's pretty much been the norm for a while now in MMO's. Why are they trying to reinvent the wheel? Just give us some paint options and let it go.

I agree, was the same way with Tabula Rasa, they may just do that, I guess we'll see. Would be a good loot item, and good rare items depending on colors..

I've no issue with color levels and a possible rareness to them this could be balanced by drop rate. The more hue's the better of course, for those who can't afford the finer colors, there will be some close enough that are of lesser value that would make one happy enough. In Tabula Rasa, they had TONS of colors, and you often got more then enough of them to keep you happy even as you progressed through different sets. Or they could take the route of SWG, allowing the crafter's to choose the colors of equipment, this would bring up a specific importance of crafting, and like SWG, colors could be based on skill in the craft. Or, they could do what the Hero MMO's do and say SCREW IT, and let you just choose whatever color you want at will.

btw 24hrs till early access!!! :awesome:

Edited by Xoza Tyron

About the Color Match system:

The Dye system works great.

EQ2 had a separate set of slots for an outfit where you can hide your current gear under a set of better-looking or cosmetic stuff. That worked great.

LOTRO had both systems. Was awesome. Personally I think Dyes and such would work WAY better with color matching, because you'll never know what kind of whack-ass color chestpiece you'll have next anyway.

Say you have 4/5ths of an armor set that's colored in republic red and white. Then you pick up a badass chestpiece with amazing stats. Problem is, it's colored in some gaudy steel-gray and pink trim. The hell you gonna do now?

((color stuff)

Well, the only down side to coloring is unrealistic, They made it so light Jedi can't run around with red sabers, so they may only have a certain array of acceptable colors per class/type of armor. I know they want to keep it as canon as possible, and I would rather not see people running around with pink clothing except a possibility of using that color as an offset or trim accompanied by another primary that matches well.

In canon, the Sith only had access to a crystal cave that grew red crystals. They didn't have the other colors like Jedi did. The color doesn't really mean anything at all. People (In the star wars galaxy) have only associated Red with Sith, much like [Real life] people have associated the swastika with Nazis, even though they didn't create it.

However, I've never seen a lightside Jedi that WANTED to run around with a red saber. So I guess keeping folks from doing it preserve the atmosphere of the game is okay.

In canon, the Sith only had access to a crystal cave that grew red crystals. They didn't have the other colors like Jedi did. The color doesn't really mean anything at all. People (In the star wars galaxy) have only associated Red with Sith, much like [Real life] people have associated the swastika with Nazis, even though they didn't create it.

Actually crystals that were red, or with a red hue (orange / yellow) were often a form of synthetic crystal created and corrupted by darkness by the user / creator. Sith rarely had access to real crystals as they were rare, protected and hard to find in good number, supposedly any natural crystal would not tune well to a darksider and when tuned would turn red anyway. Natural crystal caves are an embodiment of, natural positive energy. A darksider would have to corrupt that energy to be able to use the crystal to its full effect. Also being able to accomplish this and wield a red saber was a symbol of pride.

BUT, there's always a LOT of speculation, debate and argument when it comes to sabers and crystals.

Edited by Xoza Tyron

Greetings,

Thank you for participating in the Pre-Launch Guild Program* for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Please visit your guild page to see if your guild was assigned to a server. When Early Game Access begins, server assignments will also be highlighted on the in-game server selection screen with a guild flag (111212_guildEU_flag_en.gif).

If your guild was assigned a server, you'll have an in-game invitation waiting when you join the assigned server. This invite will expire on 1/2/2012 at 11:59 PM CST. If you haven't accepted the invite by then, you'll need to contact the guild leader or officers in-game for an invite. We encourage you to visit your guild page in order to save any information you'd like to keep before the above date.

If you have any questions, please read the Guilds FAQ or contact Customer Service at www.swtor.com/support.

May the Force be with you,

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Team