Clicky

Lupus Mielziner

Blue Mars

I personally don't think it will be as successful as Second Life, mainly because it limits 'high level' content generation to professionals, and doesn't seem to have any scripting/serious building capabilities for the average person. There'll be the starting gear, and then the whoamfgwtfbbq gear that costs you the equivelant of 1000L+. That said I wish Second Life had the same kind of pipeline, otherwise I wouldn't have to relearn Maya in order to sculpt properly.

Oh... and they suggest that they will charge 'pay to play' rates for 'certain' cities/servers, so you can damn well bet it'll be free to play only if you stay with a newbie avatar and don't ever y'know, actually do anything.

Though, I guess I signed up for the beta for a reason. D:

im in the closed beta since few days the graphi is awsome but like you say keller i think too that it wont stand his ground beside Secondlife cause the graphic is nice but the things you can do are at least at the moment more limited as in secondlife some areas builded by the game designers looks totaly awsome but player buildet things looks just like in secondlife with shadows and its a bit more smove and you got better effects on trees and things , but for what i say till now its mhm .. i can go golf maybe tenaki should join me , i will soon post some pictures and stuff and give more infos

Tried this myself. It's horrible. Character customization is...lacking. The world is especially lacking as there is not a thing to do other than wander around half-built zones. There is no client customization either, and not even a fullscreen mode. It runs like crap as well. I'm struggling to think of even a single good thing about it. In fact, I cant. Avoid.

yush .. but beside that the game itself dont got any content yet the graphic is freally great and agains what i thought the lag isnt that hight but i feel tricked they post such pictures like this atlantic city and how great it is ect but there are not public and not implantet in the beta yet ... i think there will be a year needed or something before its playable

The graphics have the capability to be good, yeah. But none of it is optimized. Even in the start area, the home area, the water is just about the only thing there and it will still kill framerates due to having to render and endless ocean. Sure, it looks pretty, but they're also trying to make it look pretty far beyond what you're supposed to see anyways. It has a long way to go.

Yeah, I just got to trying this myself and was surprised that I get framerate stutters whenever I was looking at the water or that structure on it. I'm thinking its not so much a client as it is a testbed for the internal factors. You can only teleport to a home position and teleport from there to other zones which seems endless (which is interesting), but there is no way to travel anywhere else other than 'jogging' and teleporting back home. Stuff doesn't seem to interact properly either whenever I tried standing back up from a chair. A decent technical demo I guess? Nice array of animations at least for all sorts of expressions you can perform by default (as well as changing what the animation is on those expressions).

But the graphics are amazing! Hair is rendered as good as it will ever get in computer graphics, and HDR lighting does the rest. Character customization certainly looks like crap, and the options are limiting, but it doesn't look nearly as bad while in-world (as there is no shadowing on the face in the creation menu).

Blue mars looks great but DONT trust any stuff out of magazines or there page i was in the beta and stoped looking into it , you cant get any items in world you cant creat anything yet or maybe never the world you can explore in the beta like the only accessable city looks worse beside SL models dotn really look better as in SL and specialy you can do 2 things play golf or fly pass a circle course on a jungle island wich looks awesome but its not the general world graphic.

as i registerd myself the shoerd pictures of a flying city with water falls on its sides like in some scifi movies and it looks awsome but this is not a ingame content

Snuck back and tried it out. The standard avatars are terrifying, you need to customize for a good 20 minutes to get something passable.

But I also got into the Developer program. Their pipeline is ffffing simple and if the actual implementation is as simple as it looks, well, I'd love Blue Mars. Problem is, LUA scripting isn't really detailed, and... the place is fffing dead.

On the plus side, if LL's going about it the smart way, ANYTHING you make for Blue Mars would be compatible with Second Life's mesh import. If they aren't, it's like 5 minutes more work to get it to "SL Standards".

All the other Metaverse SL copycats are severely limiting, can't build or have to pay to, can pay to get money but cant get it back out, can't sell. SL's been called a 3D chat room, but all the others are more-so because that's all you can do in them.

Not only that, but the true level of customization to your avatar is really limited to what you attach to it. You sorta get a basic male or female shape to work off of however you want, but you are all pretty much the same.

The developer side of Blue Mars is also cumbersome, as it requires a special account status, client, and alot more hoops to jump through to set up shop.