Clicky

Aryte

Visitor Snapshots

In the current handbook that I have (v2.0a 24NOV09) I cant find mention of this policy, or mention of it going back to 1.9.8 (I think

IX-904: Valid hostile parties may not be engaged within the spawn without explicit reasoning, such as:

----- a. Misuse of the spawn; as in, firing from it.

IX-905: Enemies may linger within the spawn as long as they wish; the only exception would be valid override by command on the basis of:

----- a. Enemies proven disinterested in neutral approach, but wish to loiter in spawn to "taunt" defenders.

----- b. Enemy party idling, unresponsive, simply loitering.

Again, these relate to Hostile parties. Visitors would be classified as Neutral IMO.

-----

I am not certain if it is still being issued in the modern schola (I was the last class to be sent through the 4phase Schola) We were handed a notecard titled "Ordo Imperialis; Spawn and Guard Regulations" dated 22MAY08 that states:

o) Exceptions to firing into the spawn otherwise:

- - Newbies, such as listed above. Reason: sim integrity; chances are they're here to crash it.

- - Enemies whom spend over-prolonged amounts of time, or are noted to be "panning their camera around the region" may be fired upon. Reason: if they can pan their camera around to take pictures of the simulator as a spy, they've obviously loaded enough to combat. This DOES NOT MEAN gun down anyone who lingers over five minutes-- it is simply a rule in place to be utilized if necessary. Use discretion.

(Overly prolonged amount of time: 5 minutes)

- - Enemies, firing from the spawn. Reason: obviously, if you're fired on from the spawn, defend yourself.

In practice, tho, I have only seen like 1 person get shot for intel photos from the spawn. (or for going afk for an hour in the spawn with alarms blaring)

Controlling individuals that are maliciously producing images of our estate is quite a difficult task. The standard method that we employ to determine if images are being taken is by (A) deciding if the individual is idle in the spawn and (B) their alt-cam is dancing around the sim. This is a tricky situation because they may not actually be producing images, but rather (and more likely) admiring or critiquing the sim build. Also, it is quite easy to hide your alt-cam, so a scenario of an individual claiming they're simply filling out an application but are rather maliciously producing images can occur.

TL;DR: There's nothing we can do to stop malicious images, it would be easier to simply not worry about it.

TBH for us to get in people's proverbial "grill" about pictures is kind of silly since we have a group that does just the same...scopes enemy bases and writes information.

Unless we fully expect to be shot on sight for showing up in other people's hubs, we really can't do the same.

This.

Frankly, no. We shouldn't allow photography, we're a military base, not a tourist attraction :(

And yeah, we go to enemy bases and photograph and map them. They're free to try and stop us. But we shouldn't allow people to run about snapping photos. It's just bad for security.

Please define and expand on what you mean by "security".

Frankly, no. We shouldn't allow photography, we're a military base, not a tourist attraction :(

And yeah, we go to enemy bases and photograph and map them. They're free to try and stop us. But we shouldn't allow people to run about snapping photos. It's just bad for security.

That's rubbish, if people want to scout our base you know they will, it's pretty hard to stop them and they don't need to take snapshots to do it. Stopping people from taking snapshots isn't going to help 'security', infact all it will do is make us look bad for shooting people who just want to look.

Edited by Imperial Admiral

Tiridates, your proposal is a waste of time and effort for we cannot successfully enforce it.

Prove me wrong by providing a solution.